News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Interesting Conversation With Interesting Effects

Started by Stoicheion, October 20, 2008, 05:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoicheion

When i was on my last 20 minutes of lunch yesterday at work, i was talking to the fiance of a guy that works with me. At first we were talking about the bullshit that's going on in the store (i work at walmart), then i asked if she was keeping up with the presidential race. Of course she told me no T_T. Then she gave her views about the war and president Bush. I was quite amused when she said that she hated him for killing all our youth. I said "So you're against the war?" to see what else she had to say about it. She said, shaking her head, something along the lines of "Some people just won't leave their evil ways." THEN she went on to say that everything happening in Revelations is happening now  :| ]It's God telling us to wake up! He's angry!
(my thoughts before responding)'Typical. She claims to know that everything the bible says is right and isn't willing to consider whether or not my perspective is plausible, let alone listen to me or ask questions. What ever happened to proof instead of saying "No I'm Right" ?'
Me: What do you think he wants us to do?
Her: To serve him! [she went on a ramble about how scary it is that the world is ending but she never mentioned it]
(my thoughts) :hmm:

that's when i tuned out and just started nodding.

When i left i felt sick.... I hate how the Christian religion is based on so much fear. If i were to pick a religion, it would be one that is NOT based on fear. Either Satanism or Wicca. :/
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]

radracula

Yeah that happens. The whole deal with christianity is that the bible is taught as an absolute, and they're not taught much more. At least catholics have a historical perspective, which by no means is any better, but it abandons the whole "sola scriptura" nonsense that protestantism embraces whole-heartedly. Its the sad but true part of religion, people don't even have to be told how to be brainwashed, they'll do it all by themselves for their own comfort and, well, merit. I was raised mormon, and moved on to non-dnominational christianity when I dropped that, and to my experience there is a validation in the social structure of the christian faith when you proudly fear god, and you do claim to believe every last word of the bible no matter what. Being a guttless, mindless sheep (to put it severely) is in fact what they are taught to be, which is unfortunate in our eyes because we (atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, etc) embrace self-quality and individualism. I would say that if you want not to be disturbed by conversations with people who are blindly religious, just keep a realistic, non judgemental perspective in the back of your mind. They yet choose their way as much as you choose yours.
To my way of thinking, there is no better proof of a sound mind than a man's ability to stop just where he is and spend some time in his own company. - Seneca

Stoicheion

i do. I have respect for religion but sometimes i feel like i just want to shake these people!
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]

rlrose328

Quote from: "Stoicheion"i do. I have respect for religion but sometimes i feel like i just want to shake these people!

I've had conversations just like that one with  some of the other moms at my son's school.  It's frightening.

I spent all day Saturday (10 am to midnight) at the house of one of the moms... her hubby was out of town and so she threw a "party" and invited all the rest of the moms over.  There ended up being about 18 of us... they played games, I worked on my holiday cards.  All in all, it was fun.

But I was the ONLY non-believer there... ALL the rest are fundie or evangelical... with all the ignorance that entails.  I keep focused on the fact that they ARE my "friends" because they are the only "friends" I have and our kids all go school together, so if I want to socialize in this town, this is it.  And I DID have a really fun time.  

But there were a few standout moments.  The hostess is writing a book about her faith and how her daughter was cured of Celiac disease that the child was just 2 years old, and that was the proof of god to her, and it encouraged her to write about the event so others can be converted to know the power of god.  I was making coffee for someone and couldn't leave the room, so I kept my mouth shut until she referenced ME in something about not believing.  I said I just can't and tried to leave it at that until one of the other ladies said, "Well, [your son] being alive is enough proof for me."  (I was told at age 19 I'd never conceive... and had a son at age 36 after years of using no BC.)  I just said that was proof of good sperm motility on the part of my husband... and BIOLOGY... and left it at that.   :brick:

Oh... and we were playing Cranium and someone pulled a card for which one player in the team had to illustrate the concept "infinity" with your eyes closed.  The illustrator didn't know WHAT that meant... then when my partner whispered to her, she said she didn't know how to illustrate it.  I had them give me the card and I did the infinity symbol.  ONE of the 8 ladies present got it... ONE.  Did they NEVER watch Schoolhouse Rock!?!  

Okay, I'm done... I never got upset while there... I thought I might not be able to stay all day, but I made it and I did have LOTS of fun.

SO I know, Stoicheion, what you are going through with this person.  It's frightening.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

radracula

I didn't mean to suggest you DON'T respect religion or religious people, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. Believe me I understand the frustration that comes with sitting through the ego-romantic vistas of religious ranting of the other party. Its just that people eat contently all that is spoon fed to them, for the most part, and religion got there before responsible reason.
To my way of thinking, there is no better proof of a sound mind than a man's ability to stop just where he is and spend some time in his own company. - Seneca