News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

News: Religion fosters bad behavior

Started by joeactor, August 20, 2006, 05:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Morning all,

Interesting article I found through Fark.com this morning - take a look:
Why can't we all be Japanese?

The article was written by this site:
God Would Be An Atheist

... and there's a lively discussion at Fark.com:
Is there a correlation between religious faith and antisocial behavior?

Read, Enjoy, Comment excessively as needed...

Off to run errands,
  JoeActor

Tom62

I find the 1st article very interesting and believe that there is an element of truth in it. I do believe however that poverty puts a greater mark on violance and teenage pregancies than religion. The 2nd article brings nothing new for me as a European, I've heard these kind of statements for many, many years. The discussion at Fark.com didn't interest me so much, because there is no scientific proof that a correlation between religious faith and antisocial behavious exists.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whitney

iplaw

I found this quote from the study interesting...

"This is not an attempt to present a definitive study that establishes cause versus effect between religiosity, secularism and societal health.  It is hoped that these original correlations and results will spark future research and debate on the issue.
"

So if I may whip out my Iplaw Bullcrap-to-English (TM) dictionary for a second...

"What I'm about to say will look, talk and act like a real study, but it isn't.  This paper would never survive the peer review process, but at least I can fool people into talking about these misconstrued facts and studies as if they are, and maybe at the same time find someone who will do research to prove the point I'm trying to make..."

joeactor

My take on it:

Religious folks commit good acts, and evil deeds.

Non-religious folks commit good acts, and evil deeds.

Conclusion: we're humans, and in the end religion does not affect our ability to do good or evil... but it may provide a justification for what we do...

Think or Thwim,
  JoeActor

Big Mac

Japanese people are also very boring. They also make weird cartoons and tv shows and kill people with Sarin gas. I'd rather live in the USA where we have guns and criminals but they rarely go to the extent Japanese criminals go to.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

joeactor

Quote from: "Big Mac"Japanese people are also very boring. They also make weird cartoons and tv shows and kill people with Sarin gas. I'd rather live in the USA where we have guns and criminals but they rarely go to the extent Japanese criminals go to.

Gee, that must be why the US murder per capita rate is over 8 times as high as Japan.
(see here for details)

They also happen to have a much higher acceptance for evolution than the good ole' USofA.
(see here for details)

When did the US become a nation of religious, unthinking, violent people? (but that's just my opinion)

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right,
  JoeActor

iplaw

Take your America bashing crap somewhere else.

Quotereligious
As far as I know, this country has been a "religious" nation since its inception.  Of course what do I know, I'm just an evil right-wing conservative religious zealot hatemonger.

Quoteunthinking
Most of the R&D that occurs to fight dieases and advance technology come straight out of the minds of US citizens.  This country's entrepenurial spirit has fostered some of the most brilliant inventions that humanity has ever seen.  Sounds like someone is unthinking, but I don't believe it's the group that it was first asserted to be.

Quoteviolent
Well, I do agree that the US has far more violence than I would like it to, but to insinuate that we can somehow be labeled as "violent" as if we in the US posess some evil quality that eludes the rest of the world, that's just gibberish.  Here is a good study of the ICVS statistics written by R.J. Rummel, a poli-sci emeritus professor.  Of course maybe he's just religious, unthinking and violent.

http://freedomspeace.blogspot.com/2006/ ... f-all.html

Your opinion is ill informed.

EDIT: Added Link

joeactor

Quote from: "iplaw"Take your America bashing crap somewhere else.

tsk, tsk, tsk... as a legal professional, you better than anyone should know that the US is exactly the right place for a critical person to "bash" their own country.

It's my opinion that the USA (I won't condemn the entire continent) has been sliding down in a number of important areas.

When the rest of the world is laughing openly at us, there is more than enough cause for concern.  Ok, so maybe Tony Blair isn't laughing, but he's in the minority.

We're becomming more illiterate, innumerate, and losing our edge on the world market because of it.

Religous Nation?  We've always had it, but I won't support the "Christian Nation" hoax that is bandied about so frequently.

Unthinking?  Abso-friggin-lutely.  When Intelligent Design/Intelligent Origin "Theory" (or ID/IOT) can even be considered a viable alternative to real scientific research, we're in deep shit.  And don't get me started on who got elected... twice!

Violent?  I agree - we're not the most violent.  But that's hardly a red-letter day in my book.  Maybe if we were a bit more thinking, and tolerant of others beliefs, things would change for the better.

In any case, it's my opinion... and in the USofA, I'm entitled to it, and entitled to state it.  Nobody's asking for your consent or approval.

iplaw

QuoteWhen the rest of the world is laughing openly at us, there is more than enough cause for concern.
The rest of the world would fall apart without the assistance of the US.  Unfortunately we must direct the affairs of a good bit of the world because those countries who like to point and laugh have a nasty habit of getting in way over their heads prompting cries and pleadings for US intervention.  I.E. WWII

When there is a disaster in this world, who is there first to pick up the pieces and offer aid?  France, Germany, maybe Iran...please.  

QuoteWe're becomming more illiterate, innumerate, and losing our edge on the world market because of it.
Point me to a reasonable, learned study that backs this tripe up.  Though it wouldn't surprise me if illiteracy rates are climbing due to rampant illegal immigration consisting of people who refuse to learn or speak English in order to preserve their heritage.  My wife is a teacher and has a damned difficult time trying to teach children who's parents won't speak English in the home.

QuoteReligous Nation? We've always had it, but I won't support the "Christian Nation" hoax that is bandied about so frequently.
Blah Blah Blah...that's the topic of another thread which I am willing to participate in, but you cede the point anyways.

QuoteUnthinking? Abso-friggin-lutely. When Intelligent Design/Intelligent Origin "Theory" (or ID/IOT) can even be considered a viable alternative to real scientific research, we're in deep shit. And don't get me started on who got elected... twice!
Yeah.  Wonderful, Bush baaaddd.  I would expect as much from an actor.  Maybe Barbra Streisand should run the country?

I hate to inform you, but ID and various other theories, regardless of their viability are belived world-wide.  The US doesn't corner the market on wacked out diversity of opinion.  Some of the biggest proponents of ID come from all over the four corners of the world; just use google.

I love to see how people like you take ONE idea and extrapolate that to define the ENTIRE US population as unthinking.  A little extreme and UNTHINKING don't you think?  Or maybe the fact is, you don't.

QuoteIn any case, it's my opinion... and in the USofA, I'm entitled to it, and entitled to state it. Nobody's asking for your consent or approval.
Yes, but that doesn't keep me from stating that it's ill informed either.

Big Mac

Yeah well how about the Yakuza and other criminal organizations in Japan? Not to mention the Rape of Naking that the Japs don't like to remember but they're just fine in reminding us how easily we kicked their asses with our advanced A-Bomb. Without us, Japan would be another asian country, backwards and mystic. The asians owe America all it has, even China.

Let me guess, you're going to blame american violence on guns as all the other leftists. Right, go right ahead. Hippy.....

iplaw

Or the frequent beheading of our POW servicemen during WWII...

I hope he's not a Hippy...I thought we were through with Hippies when Chris left.

Big Mac

Indeed. The Japanese are merely scared shitless right now after we bombed them twice. That's all that keeps those little violent dicks in line. Fear, fear and this battle station, Lord Vader.

Tom62

My 2cts. The USA also has its share of nutcase fanatics just like Japan. Remember Waco and the Oklahoma City bombing?

I like America and the American people, but I don't like that mindless moron in your White House. Former president Ronald Reagan had more brains in his little finger than Bush in his whole head.

Starting war against Iraq under false pretenses and then being impotent to get that country under control. Yeah, America loves to bomb and invade, but they are not able to cleanup their mess afterwards. The only thing that Bush's "War against Terrorism" created is even more terrorism.

If the USA really wanted to do the right thing they should have nuked the whole Middle East, Israel included.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Big Mac

Well well Tom, aren't we the angry one? Didn't anyone go to your Bar Mitzvah? That's French for Birthday party.