News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Genographic Project

Started by Evolved, June 26, 2008, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evolved

I haven't seen this discussed yet on the forum.  This is a really cool project being conducted by National Geographic and IBM:

QuoteWhere do you really come from? And how did you get to where you live today? DNA studies suggest that all humans today descend from a group of African ancestors whoâ€"about 60,000 years agoâ€"began a remarkable journey.

The Genographic Project is seeking to chart new knowledge about the migratory history of the human species by using sophisticated laboratory and computer analysis of DNA contributed by hundreds of thousands of people from around the world. In this unprecedented and real-time research effort, the Genographic Project is closing the gaps of what science knows today about humankind's ancient migration stories.

The Genographic Project is a five-year research partnership led by National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Dr. Spencer Wells. Dr. Wells and a team of renowned international scientists and IBM researchers, are using cutting-edge genetic and computational technologies to analyze historical patterns in DNA from participants around the world to better understand our human genetic roots. The three components of the project are: to gather field research data in collaboration with indigenous and traditional peoples around the world; to invite the general public to join the project by purchasing a Genographic Project Public Participation Kit; and to use proceeds from Genographic Public Participation Kit sales to further field research and the Genographic Legacy Fund which in turn supports indigenous conservation and revitalization projects. The Project is anonymous, non-medical, non-political, non-profit and non-commercial and all results will be placed in the public domain following scientific peer publication.

I bought a kit for my fiancee about a year ago since she is so big into family history.  All she did was submit cheek swabs along with her gender (and no other information) to the lab, and the map that she got back was amazing.  It shows her genetic roots from 60,000 years back to the present.  It costs about 100 bucks, so it isn't cheap.  It utilizes mitochondrial DNA, so it shows maternal ancestry only.  I'm going to order one for myself soon.  It also comes with a pretty nifty DVD.  Here is the link, in case you're interested:

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

curiosityandthecat

Me and my immediate family did this a couple years back. It's really quite interesting, especially if you're interested in family histories and genealogies. I recommend it for anyone!

There was some controversy, though, about one certain group of people. Apparently, a tribe (or other small group of indigenous people) somewhere in Asia (I think) claimed ownership of a certain piece of land based on their ancestral stories and their own recorded lineage and where that lineage came from. So, if the Genographic Project were to tell them otherwise, it would throw their entire history and worldview into disarray. Intriguing, to say the least.
-Curio

MariaEvri

I sent my dna samples 2-3 weeks ago. Im now waiting for the resaults to be uploaded. I found the documentary that came with the package, very interesting and educational. I have to show it to my dad.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "MariaEvri"I sent my dna samples 2-3 weeks ago. Im now waiting for the resaults to be uploaded. I found the documentary that came with the package, very interesting and educational. I have to show it to my dad.

I had to wait quite some time for mine. They were really backlogged by a huge response. Hopefully, for your sake, they're not so busy now!  ;)
-Curio

noremac_R

Wow, Ive never seen or heard of anything like this before. I think i might give it a try.

Amazing what science(not creation) can do  :banna:

MariaEvri

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "MariaEvri"I sent my dna samples 2-3 weeks ago. Im now waiting for the resaults to be uploaded. I found the documentary that came with the package, very interesting and educational. I have to show it to my dad.

I had to wait quite some time for mine. They were really backlogged by a huge response. Hopefully, for your sake, they're not so busy now!  :)
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com