Author Topic: Ask a Brit III  (Read 868 times)

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
Re: Ask a Brit III
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 05:29:01 AM »
In the 17th century some Puritan boys were given bizarre names like "Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned", "Job-raked-out-of-the-ashes" and "Jesus-Christ-came-into-the-world- to-save".

I remember coming across names like that in history books.  Fortunately some of them got off easy with simple names like Industry or Makepeace.  Or maybe those were only the nicknames.

William Makepeace Thackeray? Though not sure one could describe him as a puritan!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

Sandra Craft

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
In the 17th century some Puritan boys were given bizarre names like "Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned", "Job-raked-out-of-the-ashes" and "Jesus-Christ-came-into-the-world- to-save".

I remember coming across names like that in history books.  Fortunately some of them got off easy with simple names like Industry or Makepeace.  Or maybe those were only the nicknames.

William Makepeace Thackeray? Though not sure one could describe him as a puritan!

Maybe a family name from Puritan ancestors?  Or his parents just thought it sounded good? 
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Don't Pray in My School, and I Won't Think in Your Church
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »

Maybe a family name from Puritan ancestors?  Or his parents just thought it sounded good?

Maybe either, can't find much on Thackeray+puritanism, well, one broken link on the Victorian Web that could have been interesting. Mentions of his "Vanity Fair" and Bunyan but not in the mood to dig deeply into that.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.