News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

AngelofDeath account suspension.

Started by Tank, December 23, 2017, 08:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on December 24, 2017, 12:23:26 AM
True, AOD annoys me some.  On the other hand I think that it is healthy to be annoyed  by disagreeing with someones point of view.  This person has not really given us much food for thought so I value his/her input as less than stimulating. 

We pride ourselves on being, or believing ourselves to be, thinkers.  When we slam the door on other states of mind, we are not being as wise or as tolerant as we might believe ourselves to be.  It is a lead pipe cinch that many of us, most of us, any of us, can easily defeat a religionist or similar crackpot in a rational debate. The problem is that so many religious zealots can not find it in their hearts or minds to accept that they have been defeated. In that case there is no point in continuing to endure his/her disingenuous palaver

With that, I readily accept that the judgement of the administrators is in the best interests of this remarkably happy group that we call HAFers.

Icarus

This has nothing to do with what he posts but the fact that he later deletes it and edits it. Unfortunatly I don't know what he deleted or what he revised. He went through what looks like pretty much all his posts on the 21st Dec and edited or deleted them.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on December 24, 2017, 12:56:39 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 23, 2017, 07:25:01 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 23, 2017, 06:53:46 PM
So...AngelofDeath came here, threw up all over the place, tried to clean it up, and left?  :shrug:
I don't think he left. I have suspended (temporarily banned) his account until we have guidence on revisionism.
I didn't say he left...
Who said that?

I don't know.
~Look at my original quote.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Tsk...tsk...

:lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on December 24, 2017, 12:23:26 AM
True, AOD annoys me some.  On the other hand I think that it is healthy to be annoyed  by disagreeing with someones point of view.  This person has not really given us much food for thought so I value his/her input as less than stimulating. 

We pride ourselves on being, or believing ourselves to be, thinkers.  When we slam the door on other states of mind, we are not being as wise or as tolerant as we might believe ourselves to be.  It is a lead pipe cinch that many of us, most of us, any of us, can easily defeat a religionist or similar crackpot in a rational debate. The problem is that so many religious zealots can not find it in their hearts or minds to accept that they have been defeated. In that case there is no point in continuing to endure his/her disingenuous palaver

With that, I readily accept that the judgement of the administrators is in the best interests of this remarkably happy group that we call HAFers.

Just to add to what Books and Tank wrote, his presence and very unpopular opinions were tolerated by the staff.

It's not a case of slamming  the door on other points of view, it has more to do with putting AoD in a straitjacket so he can't go back and delete/revise his posts.  ;)

* Edited to switch "can go back" for "can't go back".  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

Davin

I think stopping the editing of posts after a few hours (like 2-6 hours), is probably a good idea.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Quote from: Davin on January 02, 2018, 02:43:30 PM
I think stopping the editing of posts after a few hours (like 2-6 hours), is probably a good idea.
I'll have a look at that.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on January 02, 2018, 07:14:23 PM

I have met that rule on other forums.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on January 02, 2018, 07:14:23 PM

Not to mention deleting posts within a similar time frame. AOD deleted his brilliant argument in the "911/Conspiracy" thread.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

I see restrictive editing as superfluous. We've had one user abuse the current freedom, and that user was problematic anyway. No point in forcing tighter rules on the rest of us for it. Autocorrect is atrocious on my new phone and I frequently edit things long after the fact. Also sometimes when I get too tired my grammar goes to shit.

ETA most groups I'm in just have a rule that states if you edit posts to fuck with other users or the general flow of conversation, your ass gets banned.

Tank

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 03, 2018, 02:31:39 AM
I see restrictive editing as superfluous. We've had one user abuse the current freedom, and that user was problematic anyway. No point in forcing tighter rules on the rest of us for it. Autocorrect is atrocious on my new phone and I frequently edit things long after the fact. Also sometimes when I get too tired my grammar goes to shit.

ETA most groups I'm in just have a rule that states if you edit posts to fuck with other users or the general flow of conversation, your ass gets banned.

Good points. Noted.

Bluenose

I agree with Pasta Chick.  I think the administration here is more than up to the task of dealing with the occasional miscreant.  For my money, editing old posts is not a problem if it is correcting spelling, grammar or punctuation without changing the meaning.  If you want to change the meaning then write a new post instead.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett