News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Souls in Purgatory

Started by SisterAgatha, November 03, 2017, 09:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

Its very importatnt to remember the souls of the dead. Some people think Purgatory is just some forgotten Catholic teaching. It is not it is very much real.

Educate yourselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAUTSaJbB9w&t=384s

xSilverPhinx

This forum is not a platform for your preaching, SisterAgatha. You were already temporarily banned for doing so, the next ban will be permanent.

Rule Enforcement Process.

Familiarise yourself with the Forum Rules.

QuoteNO PREACHING:  While everyone is welcome to discuss their views in a civil manner, this forum is not a podium for those that only wish to preach.  This rule applies to atheists and theists alike. Preaching means stating your beliefs without providing evidence.  If directly asked what you believe you may answer but it would then become against the rules if you were to then refuse to back up your views objectively when honestly challenged.  This means that if you want to use your religious text to prove your deity, for instance, you will also need to be prepared to prove that your religious text is an objective source of evidence.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

SisterAgatha

My apologies.

What do you atheists think of purgatory? That the Catholic Church made it up?

Ridiculous! It is right there in the bible and Christians have believed in it right from the beginning!

Thoughts? Beliefs?

Magdalena

Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 03, 2017, 11:53:19 PM
My apologies.

What do you atheists think of purgatory? That the Catholic Church made it up?

Ridiculous! It is right there in the bible and Christians have believed in it right from the beginning!

Thoughts? Beliefs?
I don't think anyone here gives a fuck about it.
Has anyone here ever stopped to think about the purgatory?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on November 04, 2017, 12:34:49 AM

Of course I have.  ;D

It's a great marketing gimmick. As for the question of whether the Catholic church made up the idea, that's an argument made by Protestant Christians. Protestants have no more claim to sound knowledge of the afterlife than Catholics. That is--nil.

To the extent that a biblical version of purgatory exists, it's described in parables and indirect references. As such it's a rather vague idea. The Catholic version is more specific than anything found in the Bible, and the basis of that specificity can be nothing but inference. The Catholic rendition of purgatory appears to have largely been elaborated for the benefit of that church.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on November 04, 2017, 03:06:51 AM

Of course I have.  ;D
Of course you have.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on November 04, 2017, 03:06:51 AM

Of course I have.  ;D

It's a great marketing gimmick. As for the question of whether the Catholic church made up the idea, that's an argument made by Protestant Christians. Protestants have no more claim to sound knowledge of the afterlife than Catholics. That is--nil.

To the extent that a biblical version of purgatory exists, it's described in parables and indirect references. As such it's a rather vague idea. The Catholic version is more specific than anything found in the Bible, and the basis of that specificity can be nothing but inference. The Catholic rendition of purgatory appears to have largely been elaborated for the benefit of that church.
Sister Agatha...Thoughts? Beliefs?

Tell us...Please.

Pasta Chick

I haven't thought about it beyond it being yet another way Xian God is a real asshole.

Bad Penny II

Souls in Purgatory
I thought their first album was OK
Second was a bit dull.
Then the guitarist died choking on vomit.
That should of been a source of inspiration.
Sadly it wasn't, they resorted to sick gimmickry.
Bighting the heads off chickens is rock'n roll.
Bighting the heads off ducks is fucking wrong.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

No one

Pasta Chick:
I haven't thought about it beyond it being yet another way Xian God is a real asshole.

Sorta gives assholes a bad name, don't you think?

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on November 04, 2017, 02:16:52 PM
Pasta Chick:

Sorta gives assholes a bad name, don't you think?

I agree with No one. There are regular assholes, and there are assholes with "magical powers" who abuse their power. People like SisterAgatha and others kneel before them.
--Very sad.  :felix:

Sandra Craft

I've occasionally stopped and thought about Valhalla.  It's obviously real since the Norse have been talking about it for centuries and it's written up in both Eddas.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 05, 2017, 06:37:52 AM

I've occasionally stopped and thought about Valhalla.  It's obviously real since the Norse have been talking about it for centuries and it's written up in both Eddas.
But Valhalla is not the purgatory, is it? It's not the limbo either.  :eyebrow:

Magdalena

SisterAgatha, I'm curious, do you know anyone who is in the purgatory, right now?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on November 05, 2017, 06:50:30 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 05, 2017, 06:37:52 AM

But Valhalla is not the purgatory, is it? It's not the limbo either.  :eyebrow:

True, but unlike the others I have actually thought about it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany