News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What to do with the dead?

Started by Dave, September 10, 2017, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

I've been down with cremation for myself when I die, at least after all the usable organs are taken out. I'd be fine with one of them tree burial things too. I just don't want my body wasting space for no good reason.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on September 11, 2017, 03:46:02 PM
I just don't want my body wasting space for no good reason.

And what expensive space a final resting place is! Who knew a small hole on cemetery grounds could cost so much? :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

I want to be stuffed, and kept in the living room.

Dragonia

^^^I had a friend who did this with her malamutes when they died. A couple stuffed, and a couple turned into rug things. I  never could figure out how I actually felt about that... i was so confused! :???:
I guess I'd be even more confused to see no one stuffed......
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2017, 10:51:17 PM
Quote from: Davin on September 11, 2017, 03:46:02 PM
I just don't want my body wasting space for no good reason.

And what expensive space a final resting place is! Who knew a small hole on cemetery grounds could cost so much? :notsure:
Yeah, waste of money and space.

Also, talk about expensive, take a look at some coffin prices... I think people get taken advantage of when they're in a vulnerable state after their loved one dies.

The one I went to yesterday, the procession alone cost $2,000, and it was only a 1.5 miles to the cemetery.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dragonia

And then there's this procedure. It's been around for 16 years, but may be catching on soon....
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4828249&page=1
QuoteThe process is called alkaline hydrolysis and was developed in this country 16 years ago to get rid of animal carcasses. It uses lye, 300-degree heat and 60 pounds of pressure per square inch to destroy bodies in big stainless-steel cylinders that are similar to pressure cookers.
Quote"It's not often that a truly game-changing technology comes along in the funeral service," the newsletter Funeral Service Insider said in September. But "we might have gotten a hold of one."
Lots more info in this short article, but it seems like the main challenge is psychological hangups with this procedure.... however my mind goes to the environmental issues stemming from draining people down the pipes. Maybe it's better for the environment than our current choices. It's frustrating that the article doesn't really mention that issue.

Dragonia

Oh yeah, this Alkaline Hydrolysis procedure looks like the shiznit.
Of course, anything that happens to a deceased body will tax the environment in it's own way, but this looks like a much lower tax than the others.
https://www.thoughtco.com/alkaline-hydrolysis-green-alternative-to-burial-1203926
QuoteResomation also claims that alkaline hydrolysis uses less energy than cremation, emits far fewer greenhouse gases, releases no harmful mercury into the atmosphere, and protects trees and reduces carbon dioxide emissions by eliminating the need to burn or bury wooden caskets.
What's not to love?

Dave

I would go for it so long as the sludge was used as a fertiliser for some sort of ecological planting - not flowers.!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

I don't want to be buried as I think it is a waste of space and money (The costs associated with funerals is ridiculous) 

Cremation was definitely an option, of course that's without being displayed in a funeral home. I really like the idea of being fertilizer for a tree in one of those tree pods, but that's really not a viable option these days, so currently I've got it set up to donate my body to science.

They can poke and prod the bod for as long as they need to, and then when they are done they cremate your remains at zero cost to the family, and mail the ashes to whomever you've decreed.

I think a funeral pyre would be cool though, wish those were legal.

If I can survive into old age my dream death is to wonder into the forest while I can still manage and simply wither away, let nature take me back into her arms as she wishes. I certainly don't want to die in some old folks home, or in a hospital, I want to be under the stars, feeling the wind and a warm fire at my front.

I've told this desire to some of my family members, and some are supportive, others think I'm being selfish and out of touch. Maybe, but it's my life and death, so my decision.

Sort of like "Old Koskoosh" from Jack London's, "The Law of Life". Sitting alone besides his fire in the cold of winter as his tribe leaves him behind in pursuit of better game.

These, his last words to his son are how I want to feel at that time.
"It is well. I am as a last year's leaf, clinging lightly to the stem. The first breath that blows, and I fall. My voice is become like an old woman's. My eyes no longer show me the way of my feet, and my feet are heavy, and I am tired. It is well."

You can read the his story here, it is short.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

I like the donating to science thing. At least to a medical school.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dragonia

I think the idea of donating my body to science is fun. Have you guys seen the Youtube videos of human dissection on different parts and systems on donated bodies? ... For scientific and educational purposes of course! Amazing and fascinating!

OldGit

I always carry a card asking that my body be donated to an ethnic restaurant.

Dragonia

No one