News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What to do with the dead?

Started by Dave, September 10, 2017, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

It seems, according to a BBC world Service prog that this is a valid subject for study, some places are running out of room to plant bodies intact.

I always wanted to be composted into a growth medium. But composting whole bodies is gross and illegal in most places. There were other ideas, such as light generators, possibly thermocouple piles harvesting the heat of decay to power LEDs. Won't last that long and still needs a body's worth of real estate.

The best I came up with was a combination of the ideas. I want to be freeze dried, ground, sterilsed in a sealed container at 100oC and then composted and used to grow tomatoes.

Cremation, probably my final outcome, destroys too many of the potential nutrients to be much use as a decent gowth promoter.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Cremation seems the most reasonable solution to the problem. Personally, I'd like to be dropped off in the wilderness somewhere but doubt that's going to happen unless I go to Yellowstone I'll prepared.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I've given this plenty of thought and have come to the conclusion that I would like to be turned into a diamond and thrown into the deep ocean where nobody will ever find me. :tellmemore:

I realise the logistics of this can be a bit tricky though. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

One question though Dave - why tomatoes? Why not corn, okra, kudzu, or a towering oak? You could fertilize a towering coastal redwood or a giant sequoia. You could have your remains spread on Methuselah in Sweden, in the hope that he grows for another 10,000 years. Tomatoes are awfully quick to live, die, and be devoured atop a summer salad doused in oil and vinegar. Do you have a café in mind for your final spread?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

What about a burial pod?  Apparently it's still in the planning stages and the developers haven't figured out a cost for it yet, but they expect it to be less than a conventional burial.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dragonia

One of my favorite subjects here!
Here's a fun list of things you can do with ashes:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/15087026/15_unique_things_to_do_your_cr.amp
And I do love the idea of turning my or a loved one's ashes into a diamond or a gem. That can cost between $3,000 and $25,000, depending on how big and what color, and it takes about 6 months.
I don't like the idea of being turned into a coral reef.... I need to breathe, whether I'm dead or alive!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

OldGit

I've always said we should have a big feast and eat the departed.  Much the greenest and least wasteful method of recycling people, and celebrating them at the same time.

My book of recipes will be appearing shortly.   ;)

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on September 10, 2017, 02:51:20 AM
One question though Dave - why tomatoes? Why not corn, okra, kudzu, or a towering oak? You could fertilize a towering coastal redwood or a giant sequoia. You could have your remains spread on Methuselah in Sweden, in the hope that he grows for another 10,000 years. Tomatoes are awfully quick to live, die, and be devoured atop a summer salad doused in oil and vinegar. Do you have a café in mind for your final spread?

Not sure really, that was just a spur of the moment choice. Though tomatoes are probably my favourite food plant, so versatile and tasty. Perhaps I want other people to enjoy "eating" the product of my death.

Big trees will mostly get on OK without a few kilos of dried and composted Dave and my atoms will be more or less "immortal" whatever hapoens to them. Just so long as they serve a purpose beyond feeding a few flies and other bugs (important as they are to the ecology).

Guardian85

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 10, 2017, 03:41:45 AM
What about a burial pod?  Apparently it's still in the planning stages and the developers haven't figured out a cost for it yet, but they expect it to be less than a conventional burial.

Much like this, yes?
https://urnabios.com/

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Guardian85 on September 10, 2017, 01:24:27 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 10, 2017, 03:41:45 AM

Much like this, yes?
https://urnabios.com/

It looks like the same general idea, but that one appears to be indoor whereas the burial pods are outdoor.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

Quote from: OldGit on September 10, 2017, 09:31:51 AM
I've always said we should have a big feast and eat the departed.  Much the greenest and least wasteful method of recycling people, and celebrating them at the same time.

Did you change your avatar to the Crypt Keeper just for that post? It's very fitting either way.

OldGit

No, I changed it about a week ago.  But you're right - it does suit that post. :)

Ecurb Noselrub

Willie Nelson sings "Roll me up and smoke me when I die".  That's an idea.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 10, 2017, 09:09:54 PM
Willie Nelson sings "Roll me up and smoke me when I die".  That's an idea.

He must have done an awful lot of smoking himself for that to do much good!

Hey, that eould make him a "stiff spliff"  :grin:

Or is it a "spliff stiff"?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on September 10, 2017, 09:31:51 AM

:suspicious:

Have you secretly joined a native South American tribe?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey