News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What does music do for you?

Started by Dave, September 02, 2017, 07:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 03, 2017, 08:27:41 AM
One can tell quite a bit about someone if you ask them to list their favourite composers. It will be nice to see what other members like to listen to. I know there is a What Are You Listening To thread, but this is a bit different.

I would consider UNKLE's "Ever Rest" to be up there amongst my favourites.

I don't know if I want to know what that says about me. :P

But I like more dramatic songs as well, such as Clint Mansell's "Requiem for a dream" (starts to get interesting at 2:20).

I love 'glitch' music as well.

And glitch/rap mix (I think most of you might hate this type of music :D ) :

And aggressive Celldweller for when I feel like listening to something with the volume up.

:dance:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Was it DevIL Went Down to Georgia, Dave? That was Charlie Daniels.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on September 03, 2017, 05:03:56 PM
Was it DevIL Went Down to Georgia, Dave? That was Charlie Daniels.

That's the one, thanks, jj!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

These are my first tier composers in alphabetical order, the ones I could not live without. The ones in bold more than any others, and Mozart probably the one I would give my life for.

Bach (J. S.)
Bartok
Beethoven
Brahms
Copland
Debussy
Mahler
Mozart
Prokofiev
Ravel
Schubert
Shostakovich
Stravinsky
Takemitsu
Wagner

The second tier list is very long, too long to list here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Dave, the  title of the wild violin music was probably: The Devil Went Down To Georgia. It is about a contest between a country fiddler and the devil. Sort of a Faustian bargaining thing. The fiddle playing is spectacular in parts.  On the cultural level of that tune a violin is called a fiddle

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 03, 2017, 03:24:11 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 03, 2017, 09:37:10 AM
... Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and others.

I love Vivaldi's Summer - Presto! I can listen to it over and over again. :tellmemore:

You should listen to Philip Glass' Violin Concerto No. 2 (The American Four Seasons), which was inspired by Vivaldi's compositions. I have a copy of it and listen to it form time to time. I think you will like the last movement.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 04, 2017, 07:36:52 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 03, 2017, 03:24:11 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 03, 2017, 09:37:10 AM
... Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and others.

I love Vivaldi's Summer - Presto! I can listen to it over and over again. :tellmemore:

You should listen to Philip Glass' Violin Concerto No. 2 (The American Four Seasons), which was inspired by Vivaldi's compositions. I have a copy of it and listen to it form time to time. I think you will like the last movement.

I once heard another "seasons" that was very different, very heavy, you could close your eyes and see the winter storms, the lighning, the torrential rain. Hoped the above was it. However, the video accompanying the Yt version I found is terrific, will watch/listen to the whole thing later!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 04, 2017, 08:58:06 AM
I once heard another "seasons" that was very different, very heavy, you could close your eyes and see the winter storms, the lighning, the torrential rain. Hoped the above was it. However, the video accompanying the Yt version I found is terrific, will watch/listen to the whole thing later!

No, that is from his Violin Concerto No. 1, which I also have. It sounds more typically like Glass than No. 2, The American Four Seasons.

Am I nudging you in the direction of becoming more of a music lover?
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 04, 2017, 09:27:50 AM
Quote from: Dave on September 04, 2017, 08:58:06 AM

No, that is from his Violin Concerto No. 1, which I also have. It sounds more typically like Glass than No. 2, The American Four Seasons.

Am I nudging you in the direction of becoming more of a music lover?

Oops, I copied the title from your post into Yt and that is was it gave - did not think to check and only "sampled" the piece. Still a great video though!

Oh, i do like music, just that it is not part of my "needs". I used to watch/listen to the BBC Proms (if the music was to my choice), with a glass or four of wine, when I had a TV. That made it an "ocassion", it was "multi-sensorial" (as was "Sunrise" at flat out volume in the cinema), something special. But in everyday life? Whilst I am wirking or reading? As a "pastime" in its own right? Nope, does nothing for me. In fact it is distracting.

As an art and a science I find it fascinating. There was a series of "master classes" in musicology, conducting, composing, extemporising (in jazz) etc on TV once - did not miss a single prog. Not one on the psychology of music though (unless I dud miss thst one) - pity.

PS, found the Glass concerto now, um, I will stick with Vivaldi personally, both are fast and complex in parts but Glass seems, somehow, too frenetic to my ears.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on September 04, 2017, 09:50:58 AM
PS, found the Glass concerto now, um, I will stick with Vivaldi personally, both are fast and complex in parts but Glass seems, somehow, too frenetic to my ears.

I can take Glass in small doses that I enjoy very much. He can be frenetic and his trademark is to repeat a phrase over and over, often quite rapidly. His collaboration with Ravi Shankar has resulted in some nice music that I also like very much. He is not seen to be in the same class as Karl Jenkins, but I still think he will be remembered as an important composer.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

This?

:tellmemore:

I like it. I like the pace.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 06, 2017, 12:33:46 AM

This?

:tellmemore:

I like it. I like the pace.

Yes, that is the correct one. A lot of his music is very driving. I have not heard this version played by McDuffie before; my recording is by Gidon Kremer and the Kremerata Baltica.
Amusingly enough, Glass wrote an opera called "Einstein on the Beach" with equally compelling music.
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Edited to delete the post.... I missed the whole 2nd page of this thread.... It's still early for my brain to be functioning properly.... I need to put on some Quiet Riot or something to wake me up  :smug:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dragonia

I just tried listening to about a half hour of Philip Glass.... couldn't handle any more. That particular music makes my insides feel twitchy.
Music also resonates deep within my body and my psyche. Big boisterous operas like Carmina Burana, turned up loud, evoke my feelings of medieval royalty.....
Light classical music, though I don't listen often, makes me feel like the world is in order and sunshine is sparkling out of my heart....
Christopher Cross and the Bee Gees takes me back to being little on a Saturday morning, helping my momma dust the house, with dust motes floating through the sun coming in the window....
Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and The Doors make me feel like a teenager again, getting high with my best friends, walking around on a black snowy night, having to brush accumulated piles off our shoulders and thinking it was the funniest thing in the world, noses pink from the cold, but hearts warm.....
Disco music (KC and the Sunshine Band, Bee Gees, etc.) and funky stuff (Jamiroquoi) makes me want to bust a move, which I often do. Dancing is my favorite.
Eminem is such an asshole but God he's hot, and his music makes me want to get shit done, and maybe punch something...but in a good way!
And John Denver, Steely Dan, Colby Caillat, Nora Jones, Maroon 5, Enigma, Florence and the Machine, Queensryche, James Taylor, George Michael (oh god, George Michael..... Oh god...) they all evoke great emotions and memories.

I love so many different music types, and I love the music thread here, you guys are always introducing me to great new stuff.  :party:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

hermes2015

Dragonia, glad to hear that you tried Glass. As I said in an earlier post, I can only take him in small doses as well. I agree about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd - they mean a lot to me. I probably listen to classical music 99% of the time, but not just the the ones in my earlier list for of first-tier favourites. I like being challenged by composers like Schoenberg and Alban Berg, even Varese, who I actually like very much.  Today I listened to Schoenberg's Gurrelieder, which is very exciting, but I would not recommend it to newcomers to classical music. My tastes are not really for the light classics, but lean very much in the direction of chamber music, especially string quartets by people like Beethoven, Debussy, and Ravel..

I think you may like Respighi's pieces. They are very descriptive and tuneful. Try Pini di Roma first.
― Charles Eames