News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What does music do for you?

Started by Dave, September 02, 2017, 07:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

The matter of my feelings about music, basically mixed, has been raised here. Having been brought up in a house where father's taste ruled - "The Black and White Minstrel Show" (blacked-up white men and not-blacked up white women, made Al Jolson look and sound superb - it would (rightfully) be illegal now) and "Sing Something Simple", the chocolate box art/nostalgic christmas card style of music. Yech!

"Dan Dare" and "Journey into Space" (non-Brits might need to look those up!) were more my listening style.

Never got into music after that, science etc far more interesting.

Then came "2001: a Space Odyssey", I paid a small fortune in fares and ticket to see the second night screening at the Leicester Square cinema where the London Premier was held.

I was sold on Straus' opening fanfare from "Also Spracht Zarathustra" and on "The Blue Danube" - I saw the film five times and in one arts cinema they turned the volume up so far you could feel the fanfare in your gut! It was standing room only and I stood for the whole thing. (Normally nice little tables and a drinks bar, so many people turned up they took the tables and chairs out. It was a great evening!)

Now, meh, music is OK but I can take it or leave it. No music has git into me like that experience and, not being paticularly nostalgic, even those pieces do not stir me as they once did.

There is a programme on BBC  called "Desert Island Discs" where the interviewee, celebrity, politician, artist, author, scientist, chef - whatever - chosses eight recirds if stranded on an idland. The person might interest me but their music choice usually leaves me cold. So I avoid the programme unless the interviewee is really special in my mind.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Music can  arouse my emotions to the point of tears. I am talking of quality music, not some kind of acid rock noise or the psuedo folk music that uses three chords on a guitar, banging drums, off pitch vocals and nothing else. There are so many astoundingly accomplished musicians out there that it boggles the mind. ....

Check out some of these names that you can easily find on You Tube.....Ana Vikovic, Yuja Wang, Alison Balsom,,, respectively, classical guitar, piano virtuoso, trumpet wizard.  Juvenile vocalists like Laura Bretan, Amira Willighagen, and others are so incredibly talented that it is thrilling.  You want to hear some creative familiar tunes played in a semi jazz way then check out Stephanie Trick and Paolo Alborighni for some foot tapping pop music.  Damjian Pejinoski is a gypsy style jazz guitarist who can really get it on.  You Brits have a spectacularly talented group in the BBC Proms series.  All those are on You Tube for free.  Don't waste your opportunity for pleasurable listening by  failing to explore some of the marvelous gifts from those and so many other musical talents.

Arturo

Idk if I should say what music does for me...
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dark Lightning

In my school years, music played a minor role. I detested taking a (required) music class when I was 13 or 14. That's Junior High School, where I come from. I had people ask me about popular songs in high school, but I hadn't a clue about it; I was pretty introverted. I listened to AM radio in the car, but it was just what we did; there wasn't any appreciation of virtuosity for me in those days. I was a math and science kind of guy, and ended up with a degree in physics. I think music saved my sanity when commuting long distance to work for over 30 years- not having to listen to ads. Now, I have that music I bought during all those years on my iPod and laptop, and listen to music nonstop when playing video games (Cribbage or some solitaire version of Mah-Jong, not shoot-'em-up stuff- I play none of those) and surfing the net, and enjoy it.

xSilverPhinx

It resonates with me, moves me, gives my mind a place to wander during long daily commutes on the bus and helps me fall asleep at night. It helps me concentrate (music without lyrics) and distracts me (music with lyrics) when I'm looking for a distraction.

Ever since I was a young teen listening to the likes of the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls I loved it, though I'm not as keen on pop music these days as I was then.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Fireball on September 03, 2017, 02:31:03 AM...and listen to music nonstop when playing video games...

One of my favourite games is Audiosurf, in which you "ride your music". You might enjoy it, if you don't play it already.  ;D

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on September 02, 2017, 07:14:05 PM
I was sold on Straus' opening fanfare from "Also Spracht Zarathustra" and on "The Blue Danube"

Kubrick used the music of two different Strausses in 2001: a Space Odyssey: Richard Strauss (Also Sprach Zarathustra) and Johann Strauss II (The Blue Danube). I know many people whose interest in "Classical" music started in the same way you describe.

What does music do for me? Music is a very important part of my life. Listening is an experience I get totally absorbed in - unlike most people I do not see pictures or colours when I listen to music, but it is almost as if the sounds penetrate my whole body and I go into almost a trance-like state. I listen mostly to music from Bach to Bartok. I am especially attracted to French composers like Debussy, Ravel, Faure, even batty old Berlioz. I also love to listen to more recent music like Glass and Boulez. Most more popular music sounds very dull and flat compared to classical music. Try this experiment: listen to Le Sacre du Printemps and then immediately switch over to any radio station that broadcasts pop music. Having said that, I must say I still admire Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, as well as newer stuff by Roger Waters and David Gilmour.

One of the joys of music is discovering a composer or performer one has not heard before, and then following up to see what else they have done.

One can tell quite a bit about someone if you ask them to list their favourite composers. It will be nice to see what other members like to listen to. I know there is a What Are You Listening To thread, but this is a bit different.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

QuoteI know there is a What Are You Listening To thread, but this is a bit different.

Yes, this is more of a "Why are you listening to it" thread :)

I can be moved by music but I do not find that I use it as motivation or relief, I do not turn to it habitually - it is usually a "spur if the moment" decision to put music on, one that has not pierced me for many months now. My mood has to be relaxed and in a mental idle mode before I even think about it, otherwise I will turn to a book.

Thinking about it I prefer "graphic" music, Dvojak's "New World", Elgar's "The Planets", even Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and others.

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on September 03, 2017, 09:37:10 AM
Thinking about it I prefer "graphic" music, Dvojak's "New World", Elgar's "The Planets", even Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and others.

Sorry to sound like the music police, but Gustav Holst wrote The Planets. I know I am a pain in the butt!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 03, 2017, 10:10:41 AM

Sorry to sound like the music police, but Gustav Holst wrote The Planets. I know I am a pain in the butt!

You are right to "arrest" my error, what on Earth (or Venus or Mars or . , ,) was I thinking of!? By Jupiter, that was a stupid mistake. Actually I do like a lot of Elgar, particularly the "Enigma Variations".

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on September 03, 2017, 10:54:47 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 03, 2017, 10:10:41 AM

You are right to "arrest" my error, what on Earth (or Venus or Mars or . , ,) was I thinking of!? By Jupiter, that was a stupid mistake. Actually I do like a lot of Elgar, particularly the "Enigma Variations".

Ha! Another English composer I like is Delius. He was also quite a naughty boy, which appeals to me as well.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

The music I enjoy the most has a... twist, if you can call it that. Here's a song all of you have probably heard before, The Weight by The Band, but it features The Staple Singers and adds new depth to a group that already featured very contrasting vocal styles: https://youtu.be/sjCw3-YTffo

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 03, 2017, 09:37:10 AM
... Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and others.

I love Vivaldi's Summer - Presto! I can listen to it over and over again. :tellmemore:

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on September 03, 2017, 03:03:09 PM
The music I enjoy the most has a... twist, if you can call it that. Here's a song all of you have probably heard before, The Weight by The Band, but it features The Staple Singers and adds new depth to a group that already featured very contrasting vocal styles: https://youtu.be/sjCw3-YTffo

Not a common sort of music on this side of the Pond. Hmm, didn't do a lot for me but, that's individual taste for yer! I do actually like some if the American banjo and violin music, especially the latter -  some of it is remiscent of Celtic music. There is one very fast piece, I forget the title but it has the word "devil" in it, that was a favourite for a while.

But, still no inclination to put a CD on unless the mood is dead right and I am fed up with reading and there's nothing on the radio I want to listen to . . .