I find it helps with the sex
I seem to be the only one
It's what it's mostly all about
Why it's bothered the staid so.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

I guess I have a unique brain then... that's just like other peoples. When I listen to music, I often get chills, even if I've heard a song many times.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Very occasionally I am emotionaly moved by music but could not say I get "chills". Some times I am physicslly moved, as in moving fast to hit the "mute" button if rap or techno music comes on!

Silly title anyway, surely every brain is unique so if two brains were alike they are there not unique.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on October 26, 2017, 04:28:24 PM
Very occasionally I am emotionaly moved by music but could not say I get "chills". Some times I am physicslly moved, as in moving fast to hit the "mute" button if rap or techno music comes on!

:lol:

QuoteSilly title anyway, surely every brain is unique so if two brains were alike they are there not unique.

Yes, no two brains are wired the same, not even those of twins that start off genetically identical.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Like Dave I am  not at all interested or moved  by some of the mod  "music"  that to me is not music but mere noise.  On the other hand there is a certain kind of music that invariably brings me to tears.  Macho guys are not supposed to be subject to tears of joy or sadness.  I do not display my tears openly, but when a talented vocalist does something like....Nessun Dorma,....A  talented classical guitarist or flautist does Cavatina.... or something like that, I do get all teary eyed.  I wonder why.  I am not ashamed of my emotional response but i do not share it openly. Something about the macho bullshit I suppose.

Dave

A thought just hit me (ouch): how much of ability of music to invoke an emotiial stste is due to the actual notes and their relationships? I have a fruend who insists that only the words move him, he has no time for purely jnstrumental mudic. But, Icarus, do you understand the words of "Nessun Dorms" or is it the sound of the voice and music that moves you?

I love the sound of Vittoria de los Angeles voice, even when she sings that piece that is mainly "mouth music" or even the "Cat's duet". Even in speech tone "qualifies" a word, wonder if this goes back to the times of pre-language, when the tones in vocalisations gave the main message?

Icarus

Dave, that is a probing and proper question.  I do not recall that I have tried to delineate the differences in vocal or instrumental sounds. 

Way back in time there was a female vocalist named June  Christie whose voice had astounding range.  She was the vocalist with a progressive band that was led by a remarkable pianist named  Stan Kenton.  Ms. Christie used her voice not only to form words but also to function as an instrument. I enjoyed that band and Ms Christie but did not find that it moved me to tears.

I can get all emotional with an instrumental rendition of certain music.  The first thing that comes to mind is the piece; Cavatina.  It is mostly a piece that features classical guitars, ocassionally with flute.  The flute is beautiful but does not get to me like the guitars can. And only a few of the guitarists have the emotional  thrust that makes me lachrymose. I suspect that the fact that Cavatina was the theme music in the movie Deer Hunter might have something to do with the emotional content.  That movie was a tragedy...about the Vietnam war.

Things like Peer Gynte suite, and some of the Sibelius music stirs my soul.  I have non mainstream tastes perhaps.

There are vocalists that can thrill me. The purity and elegance of a voice can get to me in some cases. I seldom feel the same degree of emotional satisfaction with male vocalists although a few of them can come close. Right now I am overwhelmed by the talent of a 15 year old American girl named Laura Bretan. Part of her superb talent lies in her uncommonly effective stage presence. There are other young females with voices like angels on high. Just not a lot of them. I really admire the homely woman, Susan Boyle whose rendition of the Les Miserables song; I Dreamed a Dream is spectacular. Not tear evoking but really splendid.  For a torch singer I cannot help but favor an obscure Brit woman named Alice Freedenham. She can deliver the sexiest lyrics ever. My long term favorite was Linda Ronstadt but only after she became associated with her mentor Nelson Riddle. Linda does not give me tears but does make me smile. Too bad she has lost her voice to some malady or other, Multiple sclerosis or something like that.

I am much pleased that certain bits of music give me such joy. One of the few regrets that I have about my eventual death is that I will no longer be able to become engrossed in beautiful music.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on October 28, 2017, 06:12:13 AM
Dave, that is a probing and proper question.  I do not recall that I have tried to delineate the differences in vocal or instrumental sounds. 

Way back in time there was a female vocalist named June  Christie whose voice had astounding range.  She was the vocalist with a progressive band that was led by a remarkable pianist named  Stan Kenton.  Ms. Christie used her voice not only to form words but also to function as an instrument. I enjoyed that band and Ms Christie but did not find that it moved me to tears.

I can get all emotional with an instrumental rendition of certain music.  The first thing that comes to mind is the piece; Cavatina.  It is mostly a piece that features classical guitars, ocassionally with flute.  The flute is beautiful but does not get to me like the guitars can. And only a few of the guitarists have the emotional  thrust that makes me lachrymose. I suspect that the fact that Cavatina was the theme music in the movie Deer Hunter might have something to do with the emotional content.  That movie was a tragedy...about the Vietnam war.

Things like Peer Gynte suite, and some of the Sibelius music stirs my soul.  I have non mainstream tastes perhaps.

There are vocalists that can thrill me. The purity and elegance of a voice can get to me in some cases. I seldom feel the same degree of emotional satisfaction with male vocalists although a few of them can come close. Right now I am overwhelmed by the talent of a 15 year old American girl named Laura Bretan. Part of her superb talent lies in her uncommonly effective stage presence. There are other young females with voices like angels on high. Just not a lot of them. I really admire the homely woman, Susan Boyle whose rendition of the Les Miserables song; I Dreamed a Dream is spectacular. Not tear evoking but really splendid.  For a torch singer I cannot help but favor an obscure Brit woman named Alice Freedenham. She can deliver the sexiest lyrics ever. My long term favorite was Linda Ronstadt but only after she became associated with her mentor Nelson Riddle. Linda does not give me tears but does make me smile. Too bad she has lost her voice to some malady or other, Multiple sclerosis or something like that.

I am much pleased that certain bits of music give me such joy. One of the few regrets that I have about my eventual death is that I will no longer be able to become engrossed in beautiful music.

Icarus, you must remember Cleo Laine. What do you think of her? It's not the type of music I usually listen to, but I've enjoyed the few recordings I've heard of her singing with a jazz band.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

^
Cleo lane was certainly one of my favourites to listen to but she does not "move"' me. Ditto Edith Piaff - can't understand one word in ten and by no means a "sweet" voice but something . . .

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on October 28, 2017, 08:38:00 AM
^
Cleo lane was certainly one of my favourites to listen to but she does not "move"' me. Ditto Edith Piaff - can't understand one word in ten and by no means a "sweet" voice but something . . .

Yes, I love Edith Piaf (the little sparrow) as well. Also Jacques Brel, especially when he sings "Amsterdam" and "Marieke".
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

hermes2015

This lady, Helena Hettema, follows in the cabaret  tradition of Brel and Piaf, but usually performs in the Afrikaans language. This song is very moving, but I guess not many members here will understand the words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgJNYZGxbGs
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on October 27, 2017, 09:42:39 AM
A thought just hit me (ouch): how much of ability of music to invoke an emotiial stste is due to the actual notes and their relationships? I have a fruend who insists that only the words move him, he has no time for purely jnstrumental mudic.

This seems odd to me, you've already said music isn't big in your life, different people's brains work in different ways and viva la difference and all that but it's obvious to me that music invokes evokes and stokes emotional states with its notes.  If you've woken early feeling slothful and it's invade Poland day, you put on a bit of Wagner to get your blood up. 

Mr Bean explained it all to me.

QuoteOh my beloved father,
I love him, I love him!
I'll go to Porta Rossa,
To buy our wedding ring.

Oh yes, I really love him.
And if you still say no,
I'll go to Ponte Vecchio,
And throw myself below.

My love for which I suffer,
At last, I want to die.
Father I beg, I beg.
Father I beg, I beg.

Callas should be burnt as a witch, she messes with my head.
She sings with heart breaking emotion, the orchestra doesn't play chopsticks in accompaniment. 

Violins cry and scream, cellos tell a deeper story, the Thrones theme is full of foreboding and dark deeds.

Is a rose pleasing other than for its interesting utilisation of the Fibonacci sequence?

Bad Penny II

Resonate

No I'm not going to talk about it.
You either do or don't or fake it