News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"Spirirualisation"

Started by Dave, August 23, 2017, 09:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

In a BBC World Service prog they are talking about religion and the digitized world - some stuff on Bible apps and the effect of "unificstion" on the experience of Islam by younger people (but no mention of the darker radicalisation/evangelistic aspect).

One academic "reverend" was complaining about a sort of "de-Christing of christianity", a creeping "spiritualisation".  I thought that, to a degree, this is the other end of a line from the atheist "Sunday Assembly" movement. I see the latter as a sort of "pseudo/godless" religious movement, a search for connection, the common human need to be in groups.

Any variation of the word "spirit" usually invokes thoughrs of dieties and ghosts in tbe atheist mind, both anathema to rationality. But it can also be attached to a sort of collective human state. "The spirit of the times" really means something like "the aggregated human opinion". "The spirit of the body (of people)" ("esprit de corps") is similar but usually reserved for teams, regiments etc.

It seems to be part of the humsn survival toolkit. Should we be so afraid of using it? Are there other terms or phrases that we can use for "spirit" or "spiritual" that give the same sense of a united intent?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

People will always latch on to equivocation when it comes to things like this. I think that unless one were to coin a new term and try to get it into general use, that situation will always pertain.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I think, at least in my experience, that a lot of the more traditionally religious people don't like the use of the label "spiritual but not religious" by people who believe in some divine power but don't follow a particular creed or church. Growing disillusionment with groups bound to religious institutions is one of the reasons people take to this view. Not only do some look outward to quench their spiritual thirst and feel united with something larger than themselves, but also look inward. 'Spirit' can refer to a collective feeling but it can also refer to individual essence, thus being present in all levels of society.

As an atheist I would much rather refer to my inner essence as 'spirit' over much more loaded words such as 'soul'. IMO the religious 'own' that.  ::)

Quote from: Gloucester on August 23, 2017, 09:10:03 AM
It seems to be part of the humsn survival toolkit. Should we be so afraid of using it? Are there other terms or phrases that we can use for "spirit" or "spiritual" that give the same sense of a united intent?

Zeitgeist for instance. I can't think of any good ones...'psyche of the times' has an almost cacophonous ring to it. :P 'Milieu'?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

No one

I see "it" as an energy. This energy flows through everything in existence. When the body hosting the energy becomes to frail to carry on, the energy is released and recycled.

Arturo

Quote from: No one on August 24, 2017, 03:28:55 AM
I see "it" as an energy. This energy flows through everything in existence. When the body hosting the energy becomes to frail to carry on, the energy is released and recycled.

Do you mean the force?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 24, 2017, 01:47:45 AM
I think, at least in my experience, that a lot of the more traditionally religious people don't like the use of the label "spiritual but not religious" by people who believe in some divine power but don't follow a particular creed or church. Growing disillusionment with groups bound to religious institutions is one of the reasons people take to this view. Not only do some look outward to quench their spiritual thirst and feel united with something larger than themselves, but also look inward. 'Spirit' can refer to a collective feeling but it can also refer to individual essence, thus being present in all levels of society.

As an atheist I would much rather refer to my inner essence as 'spirit' over much more loaded words such as 'soul'. IMO the religious 'own' that.  ::)

Quote from: Gloucester on August 23, 2017, 09:10:03 AM

Zeitgeist for instance. I can't think of any good ones...'psyche of the times' has an almost cacophonous ring to it. :P 'Milieu'?

Your thoughts, mostly, parallel mine, Silver. English, at least, is riddled with words that have multiple meanings but have, mostly, been attached to one in people's minds. Like "discipline" usyally invokes thiughts of "punishment".

"Elan" is little used these days. Er, "zeitgeist" surely means "the spirit of the times" basically?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74