News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

North Korea and USA shenanigans...

Started by Claireliontamer, August 09, 2017, 04:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I find it hard to believe that a carrier would be anywhere without it's support ships. Even in an allied port.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2017, 02:24:41 AM
I find it hard to believe that a carrier would be anywhere without it's support ships. Even in an allied port.

Good point! I think he probably meant, "... a group of carriers...". The implication being that even the one "nearby" carrier is not rushing into a tactical position. It is a somewhat different situation from the begining of the first gulf conflict when naval manouvers figured largely. If large assets were being diverted to the area from far away I am sure the pundits would have made mention of it by now. It pould be part of the "threat" language as well I would think.

Unless there are more covert assets, subs, heavily involved that is a good sign. Trouble is it would take only one sub to "do the job" on NK if it went nuclear.

But only a madman would go nuclear over this. Shit, we have two mad men - one a demi-god and the other a wannabe.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

One sub would do the job. So would one carrier with its support ships. I think we have two battle groups in the middle east area, one in the Gulf and the other in the Mediterranean, and they can move plenty fast if needed. Then you have assault fleets roving around, plus land based forces all over the Pacific. Aircraft in Guam and army personnel in S. Korea. Lots of options if the N. Koreans fail in their initial attack.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2017, 03:11:09 PM
One sub would do the job. So would one carrier with its support ships. I think we have two battle groups in the middle east area, one in the Gulf and the other in the Mediterranean, and they can move plenty fast if needed. Then you have assault fleets roving around, plus land based forces all over the Pacific. Aircraft in Guam and army personnel in S. Korea. Lots of options if the N. Koreans fail in their initial attack.

NKs "initial attack" will, surely, be automatically a failure - in terms of a "victory" -  unless they wipe out America's entire ability to retaliate on day one. Yes, they might wipe out Guam or even West Coast cities if their ability matches their rhetoric but, given the chance to retaliate NK will be a smoking, and maybe a glowing, hole quite quickly I would think!

Despite his tactics one can only hope that a small kernel of sanity remains in Kim's head, which I am sure he knows will be for the chop - one way or another - very quickly if he actually does any damage.

The promised date was "mid August" IIRC, so only a few days to wait to see if madness rules.

Asmodean

So apparently, North Korea backed off its "Guam must DIE. IMMEDIATELY!  >:(" rhetoric.

...Does that mean that Mr. Kim is a bigger man than Mr. Trump?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on August 15, 2017, 02:46:34 PM
So apparently, North Korea backed off its "Guam must DIE. IMMEDIATELY!  >:(" rhetoric.

...Does that mean that Mr. Kim is a bigger man than Mr. Trump?

Well.. he looks fatter.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Asmodean

As in, he may be short, but he has girth? Well, they do say that it be more important than length...

...There was also something about small hands...  :???:

...Them images, them's gonna fester.  :(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

I guess China introduced sanctions to the U.N. for North Korea?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on August 15, 2017, 04:11:08 PM
I guess China introduced sanctions to the U.N. for North Korea?
China has said they will comply with the latest UN sanctions. Bang goes a third of NK's income if they actually do. Perhaps Kim can't find the money for his missiles?

Arturo

Quotea third of NK's income

I doubt that will effect the corruption at all. Will probably only mess up the peasants. I've heard there are rich people in NK. Who probably get money in illegitimate ways seeing as their economy isn't really worth anything anyway to make anyone rich. I don't think Kim is worried. This is probably as symbolic as Russia banning adoption of healthy children to the United States. Which would explain why China is complying because they know it doesn't affect their friend Kim and whoever else they do business with there.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on August 15, 2017, 05:02:31 PM
Quotea third of NK's income

I doubt that will effect the corruption at all. Will probably only mess up the peasants. I've heard there are rich people in NK. Who probably get money in illegitimate ways seeing as their economy isn't really worth anything anyway to make anyone rich. I don't think Kim is worried. This is probably as symbolic as Russia banning adoption of healthy children to the United States. Which would explain why China is complying because they know it doesn't affect their friend Kim and whoever else they do business with there.

Good point on the illegitimate incomes, but can't find much mention of such. Though, like most countries, I am sure it exists, what part goes into the national purse is another matter. There is some info on the NK economy in this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/26/how-kim-jong-un-is-bankrolling-his-nuclear-ambitions.html

jumbojak

I watched part of an interesting documentary about the breakdown of government control in N. Korea. There are markets in the streets which is illegal but the army and police have been unable to put a stop to it. People are challenging the army in public, there was video of a woman berating an officer who tried to keep people from using her illegal taxi service.

Admittedly, that's not much but perhaps the state isn't as powerful within the borders as the propaganda would have us believe. You never know, we might see the end of the regime there in the next few years.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Gloucester on August 12, 2017, 06:46:45 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2017, 02:24:41 AM

Good point! I think he probably meant, "... a group of carriers...". The implication being that even the one "nearby" carrier is not rushing into a tactical position. It is a somewhat different situation from the begining of the first gulf conflict when naval manouvers figured largely. If large assets were being diverted to the area from far away I am sure the pundits would have made mention of it by now. It pould be part of the "threat" language as well I would think.

Unless there are more covert assets, subs, heavily involved that is a good sign. Trouble is it would take only one sub to "do the job" on NK if it went nuclear.

But only a madman would go nuclear over this. Shit, we have two mad men - one a demi-god and the other a wannabe.

The terminology is "carrier group". There will be any number of destroyers, a cruiser or two, maybe a tender (for repairs), and a sub or two associated with the aircraft carrier. When I served in the US Navy in the early '70s on a destroyer, the term was "plane guarding", IIRC. Though how a destroyer guarded an airplane is beyond me.  ::)  Since I worked in the engine room, I didn't have a lot of knowledge about what went on further up...or below, for that matter. I've learned more about naval operations from reading Tom Clancy than when I was in the service.

Asmodean

Carrier groups are good and well, but remember that DRPK has thousands of conventional guns manned and already pointing at your ally's major metropolitan area and there are more ways of delivering nukes to target than on top of an ICBM.

I think a military confrontation with DRPK would turn into a humanitarian nightmare, meat grinder style. There is no reason why their regime would in its going down forego leaving a sea of preferably radioactive fire behind.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 16, 2017, 03:43:44 AM
I watched part of an interesting documentary about the breakdown of government control in N. Korea. There are markets in the streets which is illegal but the army and police have been unable to put a stop to it. People are challenging the army in public, there was video of a woman berating an officer who tried to keep people from using her illegal taxi service.

Admittedly, that's not much but perhaps the state isn't as powerful within the borders as the propaganda would have us believe. You never know, we might see the end of the regime there in the next few years.

IIRC there are some simularities there with East Germany just before it fell. Lot's of shouting on the part of the top man but the ground troops feeling less and less able, or maybe willing, to use violence or arrest to keep control. And many regimes have fallen once official violence exceeds a certain level.