News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Eclipse

Started by Icarus, August 09, 2017, 12:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on August 21, 2017, 05:56:52 PM
I couldn't see the damn thing from here.  I think the moon got in the way.

It will do that.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

These are my photos of the eclipse

http://imgur.com/a/UMN1R
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ecurb Noselrub

We had the proper glasses and saw it on a clear, hot day in Texas.  It was about 70-75% covered here, at most, but the day became slightly cooler and somewhat dimmer, and with the glasses it was easy to see the eclipse. 

Icarus

The best longest term duration was to be seen at Carbondale Illinois. A gazillion people came from afar to be in the best location for the event.  Alas, the totality was blocked out by some damned clouds for all but a few seconds. Bummer. God works in mysterious ways.  :wtf:

Arturo

Quote from: Icarus on August 21, 2017, 11:09:43 PM
The best longest term duration was to be seen at Carbondale Illinois. A gazillion people came from afar to be in the best location for the event.  Alas, the totality was blocked out by some damned clouds for all but a few seconds. Bummer. God works in mysterious ways.  :wtf:
God Damnit God! :grrr:
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Velma

We were just inside the totality zone, in Villa Ridge Missouri. The solar telescope would not focus today, so I watched it through my eclipse glasses. I got a couple of pictures of totality on my cell phone, since I forgot my camera.  However, they were more for myself, so it is not that big a deal. I wanted to stay watch the  entire thing, but my husband started feeling unwell due to the heat, so we headed back home a few minutes after totality.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Firebird

We were on the beach in Rhode Island. Luckily I'd  had the foresight to buy solar glasses last month off Amazon, though all they had was a 10-pack. I walked around holding the extras I had, and a bunch of people did come up to me asking if I'd sell any of them. Gave them away for free, and the reaction everyone had was well worth it.
We had about 70% coverage and it got cold. The sun dimming sort of reminded me of pictures of the sun from the Mars rovers. Very cool, hopefully someday I'll get to view a full one someday.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Velma

I've seen a couple of posts by people saying that even if you had clear skies and totality, you would have had a better view online or on television. Forget that. I got up early to see the eclipse even though I knew that there would be all kinds of pictures and video of it online later. It wasn't about seeing it on some big screen TV or HD computer monitor. It was about seeing it with your own eyes, watching the ambient light around you change, and feeling the temperature drop.

Amateur astronomers pull out their telescopes night after night to see tiny little images of things in the night sky despite the fact that there are all sorts of resources all over the place with much better views than what they will see through their telescopes. It is not always about the best view.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Biggus Dickus

I took the afternoon off work, and my son and I rode our bikes to the center of the city and hung out in the square with other folk who were there to see the eclipse as well, and had a really swell time. (I had two cappuccinos and an expresso, surprised I was able to sleep last night ;D)

Fortunately a friend of mine son had an extra pair of glasses, so we were able to watch the entire thing and it didn't disappoint. Best part besides being able to view the eclipse was just hanging out with not only my son, but a pretty diverse, but cool group of people.
The sky was perfect for just about the entire eclipse, though it got a little cloudy it didn't really intefer with our viewing.

This is the sun without filter. (You can see the actual eclipse just below in the reflection off my camera lens)

Sun viewed through filter.

Son viewing sun!

This photo of the International Space Station in front of the sun along with some sun spots is really cool. (Compliments of NASA)

Quote from: Firebird on August 22, 2017, 12:00:15 AM
We were on the beach in Rhode Island. Luckily I'd  had the foresight to buy solar glasses last month off Amazon, though all they had was a 10-pack. I walked around holding the extras I had, and a bunch of people did come up to me asking if I'd sell any of them. Gave them away for free, and the reaction everyone had was well worth it.
We had about 70% coverage and it got cold. The sun dimming sort of reminded me of pictures of the sun from the Mars rovers. Very cool, hopefully someday I'll get to view a full one someday.

That was nice of you to give your extra away, there was a guy viewing with us who had a couple extra that he gave away, and we were all sharing, so everyone who wanted to got a good view.

Overall very special day, and I'm glad I got to spend it alongside my son. 8)

Edited 1 x because I forgot to post my favorite eclipse photograph...82 Airborne Troops jumping during the eclipse at Ft. Bragg, Hoowah!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

I took a bunch of pictures. Most are not that great. These are the least terrible.

http://imgur.com/a/EVn7y
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on August 25, 2017, 03:26:21 PM
I took a bunch of pictures. Most are not that great. These are the least terrible.

http://imgur.com/a/EVn7y

What were you using, Davin, a phone camera?

This was about the peak of the 2014 eclipse in my area, taken with a Nikon D5100 and 300mm lens. Not sure how much the thin cloud helped, this was during the nearest to a clear sky!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Yeah, I normally don't take many pictures at all, I prefer to just experience things. But it was requested that I take some pictures and I wasn't going to buy something that I'm only going to use probably once.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.