News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Eclipse

Started by Icarus, August 09, 2017, 12:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Take a look at this nifty resource to discover how much of the eclipse you will be able to observe. If you do look at it, be damned sure that you have protective dark, very dark glasses. Ordinary sun glasses will not be sufficient,,,, not by a long shot.  Alternatively You could use a pinhole projector, the directions for easy,simple, construction are in several places on you tube.  That is a whole other science thing. The pin hole camera is called ; camera obscura. It is a fun gadget all by itself.

The map is here......http://shadowandsubstance.com/2017/2017e.html

Davin

I will be right in the middle of totality.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Thanks for posting the link Icarus.  8)

We will be at about 80% here in southeast Michigan (Detroit), which means we'll get to see something more or less similar to this rather cool video which was shot in California 5 years ago.

Here's another cool link at Vox.com graphic. You can type in your zip code (Such as did with "48128" for Detroit) to see what the eclipse will look like from your own area.

I'm planning on taking afternoon off that day to see this, just need to find the best spot at this point around here to view it...plan is to hook up with my son and we'll check it out together. Were thinking of going to the University of Michigan Campus where they are having an open viewing at the Planetarium, but we have a couple other options possibly so were not sure yet.

Need to find some solar eclipse glasses though...Davin's lucky he won't need the glasses.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Arturo

Home Depot might have solar eclipse glasses
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Arturo on August 11, 2017, 12:45:54 AM

Lowes and Toys R Us have them.  Also Walmart, which I won't touch with a 10' pole.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Arturo

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 11, 2017, 02:38:29 AM
Quote from: Arturo on August 11, 2017, 12:45:54 AM

Lowes and Toys R Us have them.  Also Walmart, which I won't touch with a 10' pole.

Never know who is walking out of there with a shotgun...or in!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 10, 2017, 07:41:03 PM

Davin's lucky he won't need the glasses.

Even if you're at totality make sure you wear the glasses, otherwise you'll get blinded when the sun starts to come back through.

Biggus Dickus

Icarus

Maybe a fun project for kids, even us old kids, is to make a pinhole projector. Here is how to do it for no money and just a few minutes time.

1. Find a cardboard box such as a breakfast cereal box. 
2. cut a piece of white paper the size of the inside end of the box. Place the paper in the end of the box       lying flat against the interior surface of the end.
3. use a knife or scissors to cut two holes in the opposite end of the box.  If the box is....say ten inches wide (25 cm) make the holes at about an inch and a half (4cm) from the edge of the box. The holes will be about 7 inches (17cm) apart. Make the holes about 2 cm or 3/4 inch diameter. One of the holes is the peep hole. the other is for the pinhole per the next step.
4. tape a piece of aluminum foil over one of the holes. Be sure that it is a flat, not a wrinkled bit of foil. Let the foil be big enough that you will not have tape where the hole is.
5. use a needle or  pin to punch a tiny hole in the foil, somewhere near the center of the 2 cm hole.  Tape up any cracks or openings in the box so that light can not enter. Done !
6. Stand facing away from the sun. look through the hole in one side of the box, the part of the box with the pin hole will be over your shoulder facing the sun. The sun rays will penetrate the tiny pin hole projecting an inverted image on the white paper at the end of the box.

Caution: be sure that the pin hole is quite small. This is a bit of optical physics at work. The pin hole has an area that is very small and it will therefore admit only the amount of light that can squeeze through that hole. the pupil of the eye at perhaps 8mm diameter will admit 50 to 60 times as much light as the half mm pinhole. It is only a matter of area of the aperture.

The reason for very large objective lens on a telescope is that the area for light admittance is larger. The large objective lens can reveal faint celestial objects that do not emit much light. A smaller lens would not be able to gather sufficient light to create an image in the eyepiece. 

If you wish to make a grandiose projector just use a longer and larger box. or tape two boxes together end to end. The size of the image will increase in proportion to the additional distance from the pin hole to the white paper projection screen.

jumbojak

I think I'm might just grab a welding hood. I have shade five goggles but a darker shade is in order. Reading online, some groups are recommending shade 14 which is nuts. I can't see to weld ten inches in front of my face with a shade 14 lens.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

This picture was taken here in Detroit in August,1932 during a solar eclipse. Pictured on the right is Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.

This was taken at the Detroit Institute of Arts while Diego was painting his "Detroit Industry Murals".

jumbojak

So much for a welding hood. I think every store is sold out.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

joeactor

Sandra Craft

Quote from: joeactor on August 21, 2017, 04:17:46 PM
Nasa has a number of live streaming sites:
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-live-stream

Watching now, since I too did not get any eclipse glasses.  But I understand there'll be another like this in 2024, and I should be prepared by then.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

I couldn't see the damn thing from here.  I think the moon got in the way.