News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Puzzle

Started by hermes2015, July 22, 2017, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I am probably over-thinking this one, but here goes.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 25, 2017, 05:52:03 AM
I am probably over-thinking this one, but here goes.....

If the "first" page is the one he opened to then my answer is correct. If it's a trick question about word play then I agree with your roman numerals statement.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

We'll see, but we could both be wrong as well! I have been wrong before (I think it was in 1974).
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

You have a great sense of humor hermes :lol:
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 23, 2017, 05:45:54 PM
Let me add some terms to the series. Now it should be easy to see what the rule is to generate a line.

NOOOO!!!  :rant1:

The Asmo is already down like... Four hypotheses and now, of course, He is compelled to include these newest arrays into it.

He's calling His friend Thomas without an H, see if He isn't!  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on July 25, 2017, 01:30:58 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 23, 2017, 05:45:54 PM
Let me add some terms to the series. Now it should be easy to see what the rule is to generate a line.

NOOOO!!!  :rant1:

The Asmo is already down like... Four hypotheses and now, of course, He is compelled to include these newest arrays into it.

He's calling His friend Thomas without an H, see if He isn't!  >:(

You are doomed to fail! (Evil laughter) I don't think you can find a mathematical formula.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on July 24, 2017, 11:27:13 PM
I blew the parking lot one big time. I am concerned that my brain is not as functional as I had hoped....there is still fun to be had so Keep up the good work, people.

I'll start with a simple one..........................

I opened a book at a random location. I noted the page number and the succeeding page number and the next and the next. Four consecutive pages.....  I added the page numbers all together and the sum is 294.  The Puzzle: what number did the first page have?  This is a basic math one and a party stunt.

Lady Claire The Shrewd,  is disqualified until later.

You haven't given us the answer, or did I miss it?
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

I must admit that I'm stuck. I was onto something for a while... And then it flopped. Four times.

I have, however, asked a better* mathematician to look at the issue. I'll keep you posted if he cracks this nut.

*When I say "better," I'm almost comparing a third grader to the likes of Euler and Gauss.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on July 30, 2017, 11:51:31 AM
I must admit that I'm stuck. I was onto something for a while... And then it flopped. Four times.

I have, however, asked a better* mathematician to look at the issue. I'll keep you posted if he cracks this nut.

*When I say "better," I'm almost comparing a third grader to the likes of Euler and Gauss.

That will be very interesting, because as I said before, I do not believe it can be solved mathematically.
― Charles Eames

Arturo

This one should be easy for anyone used to working with geometric shapes.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Claireliontamer

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 30, 2017, 05:04:14 AM
Quote from: Icarus on July 24, 2017, 11:27:13 PM
I blew the parking lot one big time. I am concerned that my brain is not as functional as I had hoped....there is still fun to be had so Keep up the good work, people.

I'll start with a simple one..........................

I opened a book at a random location. I noted the page number and the succeeding page number and the next and the next. Four consecutive pages.....  I added the page numbers all together and the sum is 294.  The Puzzle: what number did the first page have?  This is a basic math one and a party stunt.

Lady Claire The Shrewd,  is disqualified until later.

You haven't given us the answer, or did I miss it?

The first page is an unknown number...call it X
The second page is an unknown number that we can call X pus one, the third X plus two, and the fourth X plus three.

So we have four xes plus 1+2+3 or...... 4X + 6 = 294   We are concerned only with the value of X which is the number of the first page that we have noted.  SO....subtract the six from the equation.....4X - 6 = 294 -6 = 288  Now we have eliminated the six and determined that 294 minus six is a 288 and the remaining 4X is equal to 288 ... divide 288 by the 4 Xes and we have 72 which is the number of the first page....

.and Arturo wins the puzzle.

You can do this meager stunt with any number of pages. Just continue to add one  to all
the succeeding pages.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on July 30, 2017, 01:21:32 PM

This one should be easy for anyone used to working with geometric shapes.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey