News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

A dream in his hands!

Started by Dave, July 19, 2017, 06:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

After losing his hands (and feet) to sepsis at age two young Zion, Harvey, now ten, is the first child with a two hand transplant, and it seems to haves worked. He can now maybe realise his dream of playing baseball. He can certainly look after himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jul/18/first-double-hand-transplant-zion-harvey-child-declared-success

Listening to Zion tslking early this morning I was surprised at how mature and sensible this kid was, but he had to be so to overcome his handicaps. The surgeon indicated that he was humbled by Zion's strength, I feel so also.

A short while ago someone made a comment about, "Would they bother for a black..." or something. They did do here.

I hope, and think, young Zion will go on to use his hands and mind to good ends.

(I just wish they had not called him "Zion".)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

PRAISE SCIENCE!!

ALthough some people might think of the Matrix when they hear his name.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on July 19, 2017, 11:35:13 PM
PRAISE SCIENCE!!

ALthough some people might think of the Matrix when they hear his name.

Zion is also another term for Jerusslem and Zionism is a rather extreme form of Jewish/Israeli nationslism.

Asmodean

oO(How can an enterprising Asmo seamlessly weave a blatantly racist gas chamber joke into all this Zionism..?)

Nah... Good for the kid! The Asmo is a cyborg now, you know. He has Himself-self some bionic eye lenses with which to see what they are up to in ultra-high def.

In any case, what I'm getting at is that while this is indeed very cool, personally, I'm far more fascinated by the mechanical solutions and the integrations thereof into the human body. Kidney failure? No problem! Here is an artificial Wi-Fi enabled one. Lung cancer, but you just love your cigarettes? Have a pair of synthetic lungs. Wash at 30 degrees weekly, tumble-dry on low and you are good for another three or four hundred years. Ah, the utopic dreams one has... But the existing technology is, in my opinion, far closer to miraculous (Hateful word... but it has its moments) than what I've just described.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 20, 2017, 01:37:49 PM
oO(How can an enterprising Asmo seamlessly weave a blatantly racist gas chamber joke into all this Zionism..?)

Nah... Good for the kid! The Asmo is a cyborg now, you know. He has Himself-self some bionic eye lenses with which to see what they are up to in ultra-high def.

In any case, what I'm getting at is that while this is indeed very cool, personally, I'm far more fascinated by the mechanical solutions and the integrations thereof into the human body. Kidney failure? No problem! Here is an artificial Wi-Fi enabled one. Lung cancer, but you just love your cigarettes? Have a pair of synthetic lungs. Wash at 30 degrees weekly, tumble-dry on low and you are good for another three or four hundred years. Ah, the utopic dreams one has... But the existing technology is, in my opinion, far closer to miraculous (Hateful word... but it has its moments) than what I've just described.

One step at a time and learn from each . . .

http://healthland.time.com/2013/06/06/5-discoveries-that-will-change-the-future-of-organ-transplants/slide/artificial-organs/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oppenheimerfunds/2016/09/26/the-surprising-future-of-artificial-organ-transplants/#54ed9ff02f59

Etc.

hermes2015

I hope this will also be another step towards repairing spinal cords successfully.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Asmodean

Ooh! Yes. Repairing it, or partly replacing/augmenting with tech. That would be the day!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.