News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Greetings to All Sane Minds!

Started by Phoenix, July 17, 2017, 01:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenix

A conflux of events have left me in a furious and frustrated state of mind. First, I recently watched the Showtime mini-series, The Tudors, on TV for the first time, not having TV for over 10 years. I love history and dug out a few books on the Tudor period that I had and then bought a few new ones. Second, to take a break from all the history books, I picked up the novel, Shōgun, and reread the whole book. Third, I wondered why the popes had originally set up shop in Rome and started doing some research. Fourth, I then started researching the Spanish Inquisition (why, oh why?) and also found the Medieval, Roman and Portuguese Inquisitions. 

After enduring these four things, I was reduced to near hysteria and knew I had to find a safe refuge. I ended up in this forum mainly due to the word "Happy" in the title.

I was born and raised in St Louis MO <shudder> but left for California in my early twenties. Now I'm a California refugee, having moved to Arizona when I retired because it's not possible to live in the San Francisco Bay Area without a large salary. I'm now 67 years old and live in a place where the sun shines continuously (I beg your illuminating pardon, Ra!) and I must stay indoors eight months out of the year breathing artificial air conditioned air.

I read most of the introduction posts on this page and feel exactly the same as Warthog Driver's post "Hello from an Unhappy Atheist."

I'm most happy to be here!  8)

Arturo

Hello. We are happy, but some of us are not sane :lol: But nice to meet you. Hope you stay.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Phoenix on July 17, 2017, 01:37:31 AM
After enduring these four things, I was reduced to near hysteria and knew I had to find a safe refuge. I ended up in this forum mainly due to the word "Happy" in the title.
Welcome, Phoenix,
You came to the right place.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Phoenix on July 17, 2017, 01:37:31 AM
A conflux of events have left me in a furious and frustrated state of mind. First, I recently watched the Showtime mini-series, The Tudors, on TV for the first time, not having TV for over 10 years. I love history and dug out a few books on the Tudor period that I had and then bought a few new ones. Second, to take a break from all the history books, I picked up the novel, Shōgun, and reread the whole book. Third, I wondered why the popes had originally set up shop in Rome and started doing some research. Fourth, I then started researching the Spanish Inquisition (why, oh why?) and also found the Medieval, Roman and Portuguese Inquisitions. 

I was born and raised in St Louis MO <shudder> but left for California in my early twenties. Now I'm a California refugee, having moved to Arizona when I retired because it's not possible to live in the San Francisco Bay Area without a large salary. I'm now 67 years old and live in a place where the sun shines continuously (I beg your illuminating pardon, Ra!) and I must stay indoors eight months out of the year breathing artificial air conditioned air.

I read most of the introduction posts on this page and feel exactly the same as Warthog Driver's post "Hello from an Unhappy Atheist."

I'm most happy to be here!  8)

Hello and welcome to HAF, Phoenix. Glad to have you here! We have a History board that would be a good place to talk about some of the things you mentioned in your OP. I know plenty of people enjoyed The Tudors, but I often found it annoying. Just one aspect: The actor they had for Henry was OK for his younger years, but they didn't even try to show what the passage of time did to him physically, which would go a way toward explaining how he changed mentally and emotionally as well.

Anyway, I hope you stick around and enjoy your time reading and posting here.

:spagwelcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Welcome Phoenix,...it's been quite hot out there in Arizona lately hasn't it? A friend of mine was out there for some hot weather vehicle testing last week (More than ideal for testing), and he said it was bloody brutal, with temps at 117 fahrenheit!

I've seen pictures like this on social media, melted fences, mailboxes or highway signs with the paint melted off!

No offense, but I think I'll stay here in Michigan, with four seasons, surrounded by large quantities of fresh water 8)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on July 17, 2017, 05:44:52 PM
Welcome Phoenix,...it's been quite hot out there in Arizona lately hasn't it? A friend of mine was out there for some hot weather vehicle testing last week (More than ideal for testing), and he said it was bloody brutal, with temps at 117 fahrenheit!

I've seen pictures like this on social media, melted fences, mailboxes or highway signs with the paint melted off!

No offense, but I think I'll stay here in Michigan, with four seasons, surrounded by large quantities of fresh water 8)

Isn't Michigan one of those places where you can get all four seasons in one week? Or was it one day . . .?

Tank

Hi Phoenix

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find plenty of sane conversation mixed in with all the nutty stuff!

Regards
Chris

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 17, 2017, 05:55:44 PM
Hi Phoenix

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find plenty of sane conversation mixed in with all the nutty stuff!

Regards
Chris

I'm walnutty.

hermes2015

Welcome, Phoenix, from the sanest member here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Well I'm pretty much cuckoo for cocoa puffs, it runs in the family, but you'll likely find a few people here that ain't crazy. Welcome.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames