Author Topic: Workshop and fixit stuff  (Read 900 times)

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
Re: Workshop and fixit stuff
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »
Had to do a quick repair on my brake light switch today. A piece of tape and a penny have me back to normal... ish for now. I'm glad someone noticed that the lights were on when they did. The car sat with the battery disconnected until I could get to it for a quick repair!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

jumbojak

• The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2017, 06:47:33 AM »
Going to try to find a replacement cv axle today znd try to get it on either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. New ball joints will be going in as well. Might grab a new boot for the other axle too but that should be okay for another week or so. I can fix that one when new front brakes go on.

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2017, 06:55:55 AM »
Busy, busy, busy...
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

jumbojak

• The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »
A twenty year old car keeps you busy. Or broke if'n you take it to a shop. I prefer to stay busy...

jumbojak

• The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
Well the new axle is in after I wasted an hour going to exchange the one I bought yesterday for the correct part. They sold me a driver's side axle in a passenger side box... and the ball joints didn't go in either. For one, all my adapters were too big and for two, I had forgotten how difficult it is to hold a press, steering knuckle, adapters, and a ball joint when you only have two hands. I'll get my brother to lend a hand on Sunday. And get to take the whole thing apart again.

Dave

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2017, 05:09:30 PM »
Going to admit I have got to the point where I would rather pay the locsl service shop £60 to do ny oil and filter change than scrabble abiut under the car myself.

It was great before my self-employed mobile car mechanic neighbour moved, I swapped being his towed driver and other easy tasks for such small (to him) jobs. Admittedly when I was in work I did turning jobs and repaired (by welding) things like cracked generator brackets (or even made new ones) for him. Even made a few "custom" tools and new, small, wire looms.

jumbojak

• The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
I've grown to rather enjoy the scramble. Figuring out how things go together is actually quite a bit of fun. Doing basic maintanance is a chore but an oil change only takes a few minutes and too many places that specialize in oil and lube are scam artists in Red Cap shirts!

What's really fun is diagnostic work and I've been doing a bit of that in my spare time using my pitiful excuse for a scan tool, and armed with knowledge from the likes od ScannerDanner and Matt Schrodinger. It's pretty amazing how much you can figure out with a $20 scanner that works through your phone and an understanding of fuel trims.

I have a $50 gift card through work that I'd like to put towards either an oscilloscope or a graphing multimeter. I asked around looking for an older, used Snap On graphing meter but all anybody wants to part with is their newer, fancier, and highly unreliable units. The Vantage MT 2400 is practically a unicorn anymore but the Vantage Ultra can be had new off the truck... frustrating.

The next option would be either a usb scope and be stuck lugging a laptop around or a handheld graphing meter that isn't very capable. I can't decide between just pulling the trigger on a cheaper usb scope that has poor software or waiting and buying a better one down the road a bit.

Hantek makes a decent scope but the software is problematic. Pico makes excellent scopes with fantastic software but are at least twice the price, and even then you are losing functionality. Fewer channels, lower frequencies, etc. Maybe I'll come across something in the meantime.

hermes2015

• A Frood Who Really Knows Where Their Towel Is
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
I admire you guys for being able to work on cars. I am a dedicated do-it-yourselfer, but have always been too chicken  :chairhide: to try any engine work myself. On top of that, I always buy new cars and they have always warned me not to touch anything, or the warranty would be voided. That actually suits me quite well. Gives me more time to pursue my other interests.

Dave

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2017, 12:29:19 AM »
^
^
Love the diagnostic stuff, just getting too old and infirm for the physical. Also no heavy jacking gear, ramos, pit etc.

Doubt that my delicate little single channel digital pocket 'scope would be much use in a car workshop environment!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:44:07 AM by Dave »