News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Religious Arts and Crafts store illegally smuggled ancient artifacts

Started by Firebird, July 06, 2017, 01:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

The store is Hobby Lobby, famous for winning a Supreme Court case allowing them not to cover contraception for their employees' health insurance.

If you think about it, smuggling ancient artifacts to their home base was indeed very "Christian" of them  ;D

Hobby Lobby to pay $3 million fine, forfeit smuggled ancient artifacts
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

This is one of those times when I would like to know, literally, what they were thinking.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Claireliontamer

And to think, ISIS got most of their funding through selling such artefacts!

Velma

Their holy books says nothing about lying and stealing...oh wait...
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Pasta Chick

I know I shouldn't find enjoyment in these articles, but I do. The only thing that would make this better for me is if Harrison Ford put his Indiana Jones costume on and released a video statement on the matter.

They're just such magnificently hypocritical assholes.

Icarus

PC I do not think that they are hypocritical (depending on the meaning of that term).  Hobby Lobby executive body believes fervently in their religion.  When they collect ancient religious artifacts they are doing their best to both worship and to establish credibility for their narrowly defined beliefs.  I reckon that they did what they did in good faith and with presumed assurance that god would bless them for their efforts.........  On the other hand, maybe they are merely trying to guarantee a free pass to heaven by demonstrating so conspicuously.

That said, I think that they are a group of simple minded, misguided,  crackpots who cruelly wish to consign all we doubters to the fires of hell.  I have a huge Hobby Lobby store in my town that, even though they have certain items of interest, I avoid on general principals.

Chick- fil-A  is also a deeply christian outfit but they have not been so far out there as HL. I am told that they make pretty good sandwiches even though the chicken is neither Halal nor Kosher.

Pasta Chick

They care so deeply about the Biblical word that they have been in court repeatedly to not allow women access to birth control and reserve the right to discriminate against LGBT+ persons - neither of which the Bible directly says anything about - but they're cool with stealing. Which the Bible is very specific about. Sounds pretty damn hypocritical.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on July 09, 2017, 10:33:22 AM
They care so deeply about the Biblical word that they have been in court repeatedly to not allow women access to birth control and reserve the right to discriminate against LGBT+ persons - neither of which the Bible directly says anything about - but they're cool with stealing. Which the Bible is very specific about. Sounds pretty damn hypocritical.

I've refused to shop at their stores for this reason, most of my family and friends boycott them for this bullshit as well; in fact my sister has actually picketed outside one of their stores.

What I'm waiting for is the Pat Roberson, Jerry Falwell types to come out in support of what they did, which they will. More apologetic bullshit when dealing with the fanatical religious right.
These fuckers really piss me off.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

Their defense was hilarious.

QuoteThe Company was new to the world of acquiring these items, and did not fully appreciate the complexities of the acquisitions process. This resulted in some regrettable mistakes," according to the statement.
Like how can they even try to justify the sneaky shit they pulled as simply ignorance. That they were so sneaky about it points to it being done with intent and understanding that what they were doing was wrong.

I suppose we just add that to the "wealthy white men getting away with clearly illegal shit" outrage pile.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on July 10, 2017, 04:24:01 PM
Their defense was hilarious.

QuoteThe Company was new to the world of acquiring these items, and did not fully appreciate the complexities of the acquisitions process. This resulted in some regrettable mistakes," according to the statement.
Like how can they even try to justify the sneaky shit they pulled as simply ignorance. That they were so sneaky about it points to it being done with intent and understanding that what they were doing was wrong.

I suppose we just add that to the "wealthy white men getting away with clearly illegal shit" outrage pile.

What pisses me off about that is nobody cares about that. But when Bill Cosby or OJ Simpson get away with something, they all lose their minds and remember it forever.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Velma on July 08, 2017, 01:40:49 AM
Their holy books says nothing about lying and stealing...oh wait...

:this:

Maybe it's time they unsaddled their high horses and left them in the stable.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Now they're fucked. Perhaps those contraceptives could have come in handy.

Davin

Quote from: No one on July 12, 2017, 03:14:17 AM
They are in fact not fucked. They barely even got a slap on the wrist. They got fined a bit of money and told not to do it again. And there is hardly even any public outrage.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on July 12, 2017, 04:05:52 PM
Quote from: No one on July 12, 2017, 03:14:17 AM
They are in fact not fucked. They barely even got a slap on the wrist. They got fined a bit of money and told not to do it again. And there is hardly even any public outrage.

Exactly. They should be in jail.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱