News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

For those who like time-wasting quizzes...

Started by xSilverPhinx, July 01, 2017, 02:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

What Kind of Philosopher Are You?

I got:

QuoteYour mind works like the philosopher

Thomas Paine

An anarchist who championed reason and free thought, Thomas Paine was never afraid to speak his mind no matter how unpopular or revolutionary his theories were. Like Paine, you see life as full of possibilities and love to shake up the status quo by thinking outside the box. You are spontaneous and communicate confidently and fluidly. Could you write a post to inspire world-transforming events like Paine's pamphlet 'Common Sense' influenced the start of the American Revolution? Who knows? (But we think it might be worth a try.)

Who did you get?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Not really sure how they got this from the answers I gave:

QuoteConfucious

Although he is famous for his wise sayings, Confucius was far from radical in his philosophy. As an ethical moralist, he believed in keeping to the established order for social relationships and saw the family unit as the basis for ideal government. Like Confucious, you believe strongly in traditional family values, social grouping, and personal and governmental integrity. You are honest and upfront, and your friends know that you can be relied upon for help and advice.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Take it for what it is worth:

Noam Chomsky

QuoteKnown as the 'father of modern linguistics,' Noam Chomsky is also known as an analytical philosopher and as a founder of the field of cognitive science. He's also an outspoken libertarian, anarchist, and anti-war radical. Although the causes for which you speak out may be different from Chomsky, like him, you are an activist who refuses to blindly follow the rules or accept things at face value. You are naturally curious, and your questioning mind won't stop until it finds logical solutions to the problems you see around you.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

QuoteYour mind works like the philosopher

Aristotle

Greek philosopher Aristotle is famous for formulating the theories that form the basis of modern philosophical thought. Like Aristotle, you have an inquisitive and active mind and enjoy a wide range of interests. You can be extremely practical and logical, but also love to consider more existential lines of thought, such as 'What is a friend?' or 'How does my mind work?' Creative and inspirational, your original ideas often influence others, and you enjoy teaching others and are happy to step into the role of leader.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Fits.

QuoteRene Descartes

French philosopher Descartes is considered to have founded the school of modern Western philosophy. A rational moralist who viewed ethics as a science, he is most famous for his statement, 'I think therefore I am.' Like Descartes, you are quiet and contained, preferring to be alone conducting research or formulating theories than out partying. Your analytical mind loves to reason out explanations for unsolved mysteries and scientific enigmas, and your solutions are often unique and creative.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

The quiz tells me that I am most aligned with Rene DesCartes.   :rimshot:

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

Another Tom Paine here, unsurprisingly.  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Claireliontamer

Your mind works like the philosopher:

Noam Chomsky

Known as the 'father of modern linguistics,' Noam Chomsky is also known as an analytical philosopher and as a founder of the field of cognitive science. He's also an outspoken libertarian, anarchist, and anti-war radical. Although the causes for which you speak out may be different from Chomsky, like him, you are an activist who refuses to blindly follow the rules or accept things at face value. You are naturally curious, and your questioning mind won't stop until it finds logical solutions to the problems you see around you.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 02, 2017, 11:49:42 PM

:computerwave:

Davin as well; again, no surprise.  ;)

I would quibble that Paine was no anarchist. Though I've described myself as one at various points in the past, I'm not idealistic enough any more to fit the bill.

QuoteIn Agrarian Justice and Rights of Man [Thomas Paine] outlined the principles that would become the basis of the welfare state, help for the poor, aged, and young. He supported taxation of the rich to fund these programs. He also fought for a strong central government based on his principles of human rights. The phrase "at best, government is a necessary evil" is often misinterpreted: only the "evil" part is elaborated, and the "necessary" part is given short shrift.

[source]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on July 03, 2017, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 02, 2017, 11:49:42 PM

:computerwave:

Davin as well; again, no surprise.  ;)

"Hi!"
Guys!
Open the door! It's me!
They told me to come to this room...
They said this is "my group."

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant