News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hey Mags!!

Started by Biggus Dickus, June 27, 2017, 10:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 03, 2017, 07:12:13 PM
(There were some belly dancers there as well, which was really cool watching them dance barefoot on the grass, but it appears someone deleted their pictures from my phone,...
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Belly dancers?

Looks like someone is having none of that!

Icarus

Bruno gets an A plus from me too.

Biggus Dickus

Thanks Professors Icarus and Magdalena, that's two A+'s, which means if someone else gives me an F I can still pass with a 2.6!!

Yeah! 8)

Hey Mags,

Check it out, you and me riding through Van Gogh's "Starry Night" in our wagon!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Biggus Dickus

Hey Mags!!

Did you know that when I was a little boy my favorite show on TV was "Daniel Boone"? My mother would remind me when it was about to come on and I would scramble to my room to get my toy rifle, and real coonskin hat, and then I would run into our den and watch the show sitting cross-legged on the floor. She would fix me a cup of chocolate milk in my favorite plastic boot shaped cup (Still have it) and gleefully watch ole' Fess Parker portray Daniel Boone.

It's one of my fondest memories of when I was a little boy, and represents a very happy and contented time in my life...I oftentimes wish I could go back and relive those moments. (Happy, safe, lost in a world of make believe and magic)

Anyway for some strange reason, completely out of the blue I started whistling the theme song from the show earlier this afternoon in the office, and someone commented (Older co-worker) about the show and song. We talked and reminisced about it for a while.

So I looked it up on YouTube, guess I just wanted to hear the old song, anyway here it is...

Sad part of this whole thing is after listening to the video I glanced down at the comments, and was so distressed to see something written down that was so offensive and racists it made me feel dirty just reading it.
I won't repeat it here, if you want you can read them on the link to the video, but I'm so fucking tired of hearing about this PC crap from the likes of conservatives and Trump supporters.
Are they pining for a time or period, which was not too long ago when it was basically acceptable to use language that was racist, sexist, homophobic, or prejudiced against individuals or a group of people?

More importantly to them I think is they could do so without any repercussions...basically they could be openly racist and sexist and homophobic, and not have to worry about someone telling them to shut up. It's not that they dislike being PC, it's that they want to be racist white folk and don't like it that more and more people disagree with them.

Seeing those comments just sort of blew me away, totally took my by surprise...people suck don't they?

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 08, 2017, 09:39:43 PM
Hey Mags!!

Did you know that when I was a little boy my favorite show on TV was "Daniel Boone"? My mother would remind me when it was about to come on and I would scramble to my room to get my toy rifle, and real coonskin hat, and then I would run into our den and watch the show sitting cross-legged on the floor. She would fix me a cup of chocolate milk in my favorite plastic boot shaped cup (Still have it) and gleefully watch ole' Fess Parker portray Daniel Boone.

It's one of my fondest memories of when I was a little boy, and represents a very happy and contented time in my life...I oftentimes wish I could go back and relive those moments. (Happy, safe, lost in a world of make believe and magic)

Anyway for some strange reason, completely out of the blue I started whistling the theme song from the show earlier this afternoon in the office, and someone commented (Older co-worker) about the show and song. We talked and reminisced about it for a while.

So I looked it up on YouTube, guess I just wanted to hear the old song, anyway here it is...

Sad part of this whole thing is after listening to the video I glanced down at the comments, and was so distressed to see something written down that was so offensive and racists it made me feel dirty just reading it.
I won't repeat it here, if you want you can read them on the link to the video, but I'm so fucking tired of hearing about this PC crap from the likes of conservatives and Trump supporters.
Are they pining for a time or period, which was not too long ago when it was basically acceptable to use language that was racist, sexist, homophobic, or prejudiced against individuals or a group of people?

More importantly to them I think is they could do so without any repercussions...basically they could be openly racist and sexist and homophobic, and not have to worry about someone telling them to shut up. It's not that they dislike being PC, it's that they want to be racist white folk and don't like it that more and more people disagree with them.

Seeing those comments just sort of blew me away, totally took my by surprise...people suck don't they?

I'm sorry to say that I've never seen that show, but I'm glad you enjoyed it when you were a little boy, and that you shared that happy moment in time with us.

I read the comments. I don't know what to tell you, Father Bruno. The USA is made up of people of a different race, ethnic group, religion, immigration status, political views, income, values, etc. I'm sure some wonder how we are able to co-exist, well, some would say, semi-co-exist. It's not easy to live next to someone who thinks it's hilarious to watch a person run for their life because he/she is being hunted like an animal just because of the color of his/her skin. I believe this is what they call, dark humor, others would say it's an extremely racist comment, but like you said, "It's not that they dislike being PC, it's that they want to be racist white folk."

In an increasingly self–centered world, our division shows in many ways and a balance is difficult to find, it shows in our high rates of divorce, homicide and suicide. As you mentioned before, the United States has the highest prison population rate in the world, as well. What do we do? Do we say something, do we ignore it? Do we debate about it?

Someone (a British, by the way) sent me this article:
"What happens when white men realize that their perspective isn't the only one that matters."

Here's a little bit of it that's related to what we're talking about.

Donald Trump appeals to a grand past of white supremacy, promising to expel or silence anyone who disagrees. Calls for diversity are met with dismissiveness and hostility. These issues of representation that we presume to have solved in the 1960s, when the issues were as black and white as the pictures, still linger.

... they hear a politician tell them that he can make things great again, that he will silence all these other voices, that they are illegitimate anyway, and he and the people like him are the only ones who can really tell it like it is. In response, they come out in droves to support him, and see anyone who doesn't as not just someone with a different mindset, but as an enemy.

Admittedly, not all of these end with specifically white or specifically men, but their underlying impetus is still the same: the default point of view, the only identity they've known, is being ripped away from them, and their only solution is to cling to it harder. They turn to people who offer them a return to the past, to an identity that doesn't just prize the status quo, but denigrates and dismisses anyone who would challenge it.

It's easy for those of us who imagine ourselves more enlightened to denigrate and dismiss this kind of white man. We can scapegoat them to feel better about ourselves, congratulate ourselves on being so progressive, and then ignore them, imagining they will go away, imagining our softer ignorance does nothing to feed their harder kind.

However, it's not enough to just tear down a flawed identity. We need to create a different kind of white male perspective, articulate how we are supposed to be once we have accepted that there is no such thing as a universal voice. If we don't find something to fill the void, the old one, or something even worse, will do it for us.

I found this video, I'm not sure about how accurate it is, but if it is accurate, maybe we should concentrate on these 10 states, and worry about the other 40 later.  :shrug: The good thing is that they are running out of places to hide.

(I'm not crazy about their choice of music) ::)

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm sorry, but to say that Texas is the most racist state in the nation is absolute, unmitigated bullshit.  Are there racists?  Sure, there are in every state.  But is the state as a whole a Jim Crow paradise?  Not even close.  Somebody had a bone to pick with Texas and so they put them number 1.  I'm working right beside multiple people from other races, and they tell me that on a daily basis they do not encounter rank racism.  I travel all over the state.  Sure, there are a few small enclaves of KKKers over in deep East Texas next to Louisiana, but that attitude is pretty isolated. To whomever made that stupid video, if you've never lived here, shut up. 

Davin

Hey Mags, you can watch the whole "Buffalo Rider" movie!

Full Movie
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on August 09, 2017, 03:13:12 PM

Full Movie

I don't know about this one Davin, here's a review of the movie which is a purely fictionalized version of the real Buffalo Jone's life:

Andrew Tarantola wrote, "Enjoy the heartwarming tale of a man, conveniently named Buffalo Jones, and his buffallo, named Buffalo. No wait. Its name is Samson, because that's so much more original. Whatever you call them, the two chum around the American frontier, saving babies and stuff for an hour and a half (even though the script was apparently only about 15 pages long)."

Quote from: Magdalena on August 09, 2017, 05:56:38 AM

I'm sorry to say that I've never seen that show, but I'm glad you enjoyed it when you were a little boy, and that you shared that happy moment in time with us.

I read the comments. I don't know what to tell you, Father Bruno. The USA is made up of people of a different race, ethnic group, religion, immigration status, political views, income, values, etc. I'm sure some wonder how we are able to co-exist, well, some would say, semi-co-exist. It's not easy to live next to someone who thinks it's hilarious to watch a person run for their life because he/she is being hunted like an animal just because of the color of his/her skin. I believe this is what they call, dark humor, others would say it's an extremely racist comment, but like you said, "It's not that they dislike being PC, it's that they want to be racist white folk."

In an increasingly self–centered world, our division shows in many ways and a balance is difficult to find, it shows in our high rates of divorce, homicide and suicide. As you mentioned before, the United States has the highest prison population rate in the world, as well. What do we do? Do we say something, do we ignore it? Do we debate about it?

Someone (a British, by the way) sent me this article:
"What happens when white men realize that their perspective isn't the only one that matters."

Here's a little bit of it that's related to what we're talking about.

Donald Trump appeals to a grand past of white supremacy, promising to expel or silence anyone who disagrees. Calls for diversity are met with dismissiveness and hostility. These issues of representation that we presume to have solved in the 1960s, when the issues were as black and white as the pictures, still linger.

... they hear a politician tell them that he can make things great again, that he will silence all these other voices, that they are illegitimate anyway, and he and the people like him are the only ones who can really tell it like it is. In response, they come out in droves to support him, and see anyone who doesn't as not just someone with a different mindset, but as an enemy.

Admittedly, not all of these end with specifically white or specifically men, but their underlying impetus is still the same: the default point of view, the only identity they've known, is being ripped away from them, and their only solution is to cling to it harder. They turn to people who offer them a return to the past, to an identity that doesn't just prize the status quo, but denigrates and dismisses anyone who would challenge it.

It's easy for those of us who imagine ourselves more enlightened to denigrate and dismiss this kind of white man. We can scapegoat them to feel better about ourselves, congratulate ourselves on being so progressive, and then ignore them, imagining they will go away, imagining our softer ignorance does nothing to feed their harder kind.

However, it's not enough to just tear down a flawed identity. We need to create a different kind of white male perspective, articulate how we are supposed to be once we have accepted that there is no such thing as a universal voice. If we don't find something to fill the void, the old one, or something even worse, will do it for us.

I found this video, I'm not sure about how accurate it is, but if it is accurate, maybe we should concentrate on these 10 states, and worry about the other 40 later.  :shrug: The good thing is that they are running out of places to hide.

(I'm not crazy about their choice of music) ::)

Thanks Mags, and I'm not sure why, but I seem to remember reading this article. Not sure if here on this forum (Possibly you posted it somewhere else here or you may have forwarded the original email from Crow to me)

I agree, we can't stay silent,...it's just that all of this is so rampant these days, as if we gone back in time instead of forward, and I'm afraid I'm not very optimistic with regards to my fellow Americans nor the state we currently find ourselves in with Jackasses Administration or the pure imbecilic nature of many Republicans.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply though and letting me daydream and rant in your personal "Hey Mags" thread. 8)

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 09, 2017, 02:55:03 PM
I'm sorry, but to say that Texas is the most racist state in the nation is absolute, unmitigated bullshit.  Are there racists?  Sure, there are in every state.  But is the state as a whole a Jim Crow paradise?  Not even close.  Somebody had a bone to pick with Texas and so they put them number 1.  I'm working right beside multiple people from other races, and they tell me that on a daily basis they do not encounter rank racism.  I travel all over the state.  Sure, there are a few small enclaves of KKKers over in deep East Texas next to Louisiana, but that attitude is pretty isolated. To whomever made that stupid video, if you've never lived here, shut up. 

Bruce this video was put out by a subscriber on YouTube called "Top Ten" These types of videos touting the Top Ten of just about everything are extremely popular on YouTube and most of them are simply put together without any real metrics or polling data if any...so I wouldn't pay it much mind at all.

In fact it's probably, but not quite as ridiculous as this one. (Yuck)

Top 10 ABBA Songs

Like fucking Abba has anything that can be referred to as Top, except maybe Top Worst Songs of all times!
[/b]

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 09, 2017, 02:55:03 PM
This is why I said, "I found this video, I'm not sure about how accurate it is..." Can't trust the internet.  :-\

In the video they say that they were chosen based on the amount of KKK groups they have, the amount of hateful/racist comments people from that state post on the internet, and...I can't remember what else. I know you, Ecurb Noselrub, and I like you, not the entire state of Texas is racist...I'm sure I would also be angry if a video came out saying that California is the most racist state in the USA. Like you said, there are racists everywhere, some hide it, some flaunt it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on August 09, 2017, 03:13:12 PM

Full Movie
Thank you, Davin:hug:

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on August 09, 2017, 04:52:19 PM
Thanks for your thoughtful reply though and letting me daydream and rant in your personal "Hey Mags" thread. 8)
:boaterhat:

Icarus

I join Bruce in his displeasure of that "racist" video.  That's a blue ribbon crock of shit.

Sure enough, Florida, at number ten, has some racists. I give you an example herewith. Hialeah is a Miami region populated mostly by Cubans and other Hispanics.  Woe be unto the gringo who tries do do business there or even buy a sandwich at a chain restaurant such as Denny's. Gringos are not welcome in Hialeah and they are treated like vermin by many of the citizens. There is a Spanish restaurant there that I think superb, it is semi upscale. Its' name is La Caretta and has been a fixture there for many years. Gringos are treated as if they have leprosy. The Cuban food is outstanding so I go there anyway.

Sure enough we have some KKK groups. They are almost invariably in the hinterlands somewhere. We are a big state and we have plenty of backwoods mentalities but by no means a significant part of our population. These assholes with the confederate flags, on their pickup trucks, are derided severely by most of us. I'm thinking that there are a gracious plenty of racists in New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Hartford, Boston, and elsewhere in states not mentioned in that divisive video.

Racism exists everywhere, not just in those states under the video indictment. Racism goes in both directions and that is a reality that we need not ignore. I flew into Los Angeles, rented a car and began to try to find my way to the Hotel where I was to attend business meetings.  I was not exactly lost in the car but I was stopped by a motorcycle cop. He told me in no uncertain terms that I was in an unhealthy place for a white guy to be. He was serious. He asked where I was going. I told him the name of the hotel. He said:  "follow me I will get you out of this area". I did follow him out and away from that neighborhood. Good cop, he was painfully aware of the dangerous racism in that district.