News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

I knew it, I just knew it!

Started by Dave, June 27, 2017, 09:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

I like things to be clean and in their places. But when I'm working on something, I don't want to waste time and brain power on constantly cleaning up. Most times I work until I have to go do something else and don't have enough time to clean up. So then I have a pretty constant controlled mess. Every once in a while when it gets to be too much, I will go in and clean it all up and nice. Then start on my controlled mess all over again.

For the first little bit, the "mess" is more efficient than constantly looking for and grabbing what I need from its spot then putting it back when I'm done with it. Because a lot of the time, I'll just need the thing again after a few minutes.

Some people think my notes are messy, but I promise I have at least some structure. On the top left side I have the things I need to do and thus keep track of. The rest of it is for random notes that I need for whatever I'm working on at the time. And then the doodles are for anywhere they fit and to keep me awake during meetings.

So I don't know if being smart makes people leave messes or if having a bit of a controlled mess is a smarter way to work, but I think it's the latter.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on June 28, 2017, 04:15:48 PM
I like things to be clean and in their places. But when I'm working on something, I don't want to waste time and brain power on constantly cleaning up. Most times I work until I have to go do something else and don't have enough time to clean up. So then I have a pretty constant controlled mess. Every once in a while when it gets to be too much, I will go in and clean it all up and nice. Then start on my controlled mess all over again.

For the first little bit, the "mess" is more efficient than constantly looking for and grabbing what I need from its spot then putting it back when I'm done with it. Because a lot of the time, I'll just need the thing again after a few minutes.

Some people think my notes are messy, but I promise I have at least some structure. On the top left side I have the things I need to do and thus keep track of. The rest of it is for random notes that I need for whatever I'm working on at the time. And then the doodles are for anywhere they fit and to keep me awake during meetings.

So I don't know if being smart makes people leave messes or if having a bit of a controlled mess is a smarter way to work, but I think it's the latter.

Davin, I didn't realize you were bilingual, what language are your notes in?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

I will certainly agree with most of what you have said, Davin, if stuff is going to be used in the near future (for me that's within the next 4 weeks mostly!) seems like a waste of time putting it away, especially when that means my getting the attic ladder rigged and climbing up it because a lot of stuff is stored up there.

Also why I have got three sets of the most commonly used small tools like screwdrivers, adjustable spanners, pliers etc - one in a box on my desk, one in a toolbox and tool roll in the cupboard for grabbing for jobs away from home and one in the attic for projects etc.. Then I know where all the tooks I need are when and where I need them.

But it all means there is more of what one friend calls "clutter"! Even her cupboards are almost bare, but then, she spends 90% of her leisure time watching soaps and Big Brother and X-Factor and the like.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 28, 2017, 05:33:23 PM
Varying levels of English. Also depends on which hand I am writing with.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

It appears to be a combination of Vulcan, Klingon, and Romulan:notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on June 28, 2017, 08:24:57 PM

With a little Welsh thrown in!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on June 28, 2017, 08:31:27 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on June 28, 2017, 08:24:57 PM

With a little Welsh thrown in!

Some words might be Na'vi:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

Whatever project I'm working on tends to fill the available space. Doesn't matter what it is, replacing a trailer axle or a valve cover job, the job takes over the yard or the shop depending on where I'm working. I have a Montezuma truck box that I was keeping in the hatch so I could stay organized and mobile. The box just doesn't suit my needs very well though and its a pain to pull tools from. So for now, its a collection of bags; one for basic hand tools, three for grinders, one for electrical... I need a bigger box that I can grab from.
A dry place to keep it would be nice too.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

I was fooled: for a moment I though it was a page from the Voynich manuscript.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames