News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Male bias in research with animal models prevents women from getting best drugs

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 26, 2017, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

QuoteWomen are missing out on optimum medical treatment because most pre-clinical drug research is done in male animals, a new study suggests.

Research on male animals prevents women from getting best drugs  (NewScientist).

Full Open Access paper here (Nature Communications).

Personally I think it's absurd that only up to recently the female phenotype was so neglected in both pre-clinical (using animal models) and clinical (on humans) trials.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

QuotePersonally I think it's absurd that only up to recently the female phenotype was so neglected in both pre-clinical (using animal models) and clinical (on humans) trials.

Absurd? Imbecilic!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Arturo

Animals =/= humans. Pretty sure they do human trials with men and women
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Claireliontamer

I wonder why they just use the males?  It surely can't be that much more difficult to include female animals too.

Dave

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 27, 2017, 10:22:34 AM
I wonder why they just use the males?  It surely can't be that much more difficult to include female animals too.
If it was chickens, goats, sheep, cattle and other food animals they were experimenting on I could understand it.

The males are mostly surplus, expendable, only fit for eating or other purposes...
:headshake:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Good thread, xSilverPhinx. Though this problem has been recognized previously, solid data is always useful.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on June 26, 2017, 11:38:10 PM

While there has been the growing tendency to add more women in clinical trials in recent years it's what comes before that's the problem. The whole point of pre-clinical trials with animal models is to test drugs before they're marketed. If most pre-clinical studies use males then that can be to the detriment of females in later stages.

For instance, in one of my projects we investigated the effect of fluoxetine (prozac) on the extinction of aversive memories. With males we got one result, with females it was the complete opposite! We redid the experiment with both males and females but replicated our previous results.  :shrug: Prozac is also used to treat PTSD, which is way more prevalent in women than in men, so sex differences are relevant. 

In another experiment investigating memory generalisation with adolescents we use both males and females, and they are different. Generalisation of aversive memories is a symptom of some anxiety disorders such as PTSD and Generalised Anxiety Disorder.

In yet another experiment on the effects of caffeine on aversive memories we tried to use females as well as males, but females are so frustrating to work with that we gave up.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 27, 2017, 10:22:34 AM

Females are...complicated. Their estrus cycle (proestrus, estus, metaestrus and diestrus) means that hormones can vary within the same day, estrus typically lasts only about 4 hours in rats, depending on whether there are males near enough for the female to pick up on pheromones. 

Males are less variable and experiments using them are 'cleaner' as well, with smaller standard deviations and variance. Error bars in experiments using females tends to be much larger, which means that histograms aren't as pretty.

There are ethical reasons not to use females as well. If you need a population of about 9 to 10 animals per group in an experiment, ideally you ought to pool together that number of females in each stage of the estrus cycle, which means you end up using a lot more animals. That's one major reason why many opt to use just males. 

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on June 27, 2017, 11:19:59 AM
The males are mostly surplus, expendable, only fit for eating or other purposes...
:headshake:

:P No, of course not.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on June 27, 2017, 05:02:14 PM
Good thread, xSilverPhinx. Though this problem has been recognized previously, solid data is always useful.

I was aware previously that some funding programs were calling for more experiments and pre-clinical trials to be done with females, but what really surprised me is just how slow progress in that sense has been.   

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 28, 2017, 12:27:11 AM
but females are so frustrating to work with that we gave up.

bahahaha I had to read this twice because I though this part was about anxiety disorders with women

I wonder how much psychology do they teach you down there? It might come to be useful or get someone who can handle them. That's scenario is probably more prevalent in the usa though because everyone comes here to do science.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Arturo on June 28, 2017, 01:28:25 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 28, 2017, 12:27:11 AM
but females are so frustrating to work with that we gave up.

bahahaha I had to read this twice because I though this part was about anxiety disorders with women

:P No, female rats tend to be more anxious but we spend about 3 or 4 days handling them so that they get used to being manipulated (we do the same with the males). That way their anxiety levels lessen. We gave up because nothing we did resulted in positive results.  :rant1:

QuoteI wonder how much psychology do they teach you down there? It might come to be useful or get someone who can handle them. That's scenario is probably more prevalent in the usa though because everyone comes here to do science.

I didn't take any psychology classes, my training is in biology (mostly biophysics and neurophysiology). Our system is different here, we don't major in one field and minor in another.

Neuroscience is a multidisciplinary field, but it's my impression that a lot of the more famous American neuroscientists in researching memory such as James McGaugh are psychologists. 

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx