News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Historical images

Started by Claireliontamer, June 20, 2017, 12:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claireliontamer

I was sure we used to have a thread about this but it maybe one that got lost in the great crash.

Anyway, I liked this painting by Gerrit Dou (1657) called 'Astronomer by Candlelight'.   I think it gives you a real impression of how scientists in the past had to work.

Dave

And how they lived:

Van Gogh's "The potato eaters".
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 20, 2017, 12:17:41 PM
I was sure we used to have a thread about this but it maybe one that got lost in the great crash.

Anyway, I liked this painting by Gerrit Dou (1657) called 'Astronomer by Candlelight'.   I think it gives you a real impression of how scientists in the past had to work.

That is a nice piece of work, and I really like the softness of it, as the light emitting within the frame is from the candle only, but these scientist weren't really careful back then were they?

I mean that flask of fluid is just begging to be knocked over, what the hell is he thinking? 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 20, 2017, 01:03:35 PM

That is a nice piece of work, and I really like the softness of it, as the light emitting within the frame is from the candle only, but these scientist weren't really careful back then were they?

I mean that flask of fluid is just begging to be knocked over, what the hell is he thinking? 8)

I'm more concerned about candle wax dripping on that beautiful book.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Firebird

Very nice Claire! Also like Hermes link, thanks for sharing.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Joseph Wright was one for scientific images with dramatic lighing, and often involving kids. Others are available

The Orrery

No one

Dave

Quote from: No one on June 20, 2017, 07:30:20 PM

Hey, I have a book about cave art, including hands, but thst if a new one.

One to check out, thanks N.o.

Later: Hmm can't find any info on it. It is the markings on and between the hands that inttigue me.

hermes2015

I don't know why I find these hands so touching (no pun intended). I also get a bit emotional when I think about the poor Neanderthals. Yes, I am a strange person, I know.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

And some (reproductions of) ancient faces, from the La Manche caves, that may be caricatures but which I find fascination. It seems there are many others.

xSilverPhinx

I watched the 3D documentary "Cave Of Forgotten Dreams" in the cinema in some time ago, about pictorial findings in the Chauvet caves of Southern France. If I'm not mistaken, they are among some of the oldest ever found. 

Here's the documentary if anyone's interested:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Pretty fantastic when you realise they did not even have candles in those days, probably only rush lights ir dish type oil lamps burning animal fat. Art is art even when it is 40 kyears old and we cannot tell what significance the ability to depict prey animals and people had for them.