News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Helmut Kohl died at 87

Started by Tom62, June 17, 2017, 07:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

One of the greatest European leaders died yesterday. Helmut Kohl's 16-year tenure was the longest of any German Chancellor since Otto von Bismarck. Kohl oversaw the end of the Cold War and is widely regarded as the mastermind of German reunification. Together with French President François Mitterrand, Kohl is considered to be the architect of the Maastricht Treaty, which established the European Union (EU) and the Euro currency.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

He did have a distinguished career.

Tom62

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 17, 2017, 01:41:51 PM
He did have a distinguished career.

That is true. His final years however were not so happy. He got involved in a financial scandal (CDU party donations) . His wife committed suicide and the relation with his 2 sons had broken down.

Personally I think that he should have stopped 8 years earlier. It is not healthy for a country to be ruled by the same person for many years. The country comes at a stand still, no progress, nothing happens, everything stays the same. I see the same thing happening now with Angela Merkel, who is 12 years in power.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ecurb Noselrub

Sort of like second term US Presidents - it never turns out well.  I believe in "one and done".   Maybe give them 6 years then that's it.  Like Mexico (at least one thing Mexico does right).