News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Photography

Started by afreethinker30, June 20, 2008, 04:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

Oooh, love the swan!

Yep, that's the macro I'm drooling over now :drool
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

A good dedicated macro lens really is a worthwhile investment if you want to get close up and personal!

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"Oooh, love the swan!

Yep, that's the macro I'm drooling over now :drool
What sort of surroundings do you live in? Desert?

KDbeads

Semi arid some years, slightly dry others.  We have deserts of west tx to the left of us and sub tropical forests to the right of us, we are kinda in a transition area.  No real trees except in populated areas, just scrub and mesquite and live oak.
Actually getting rain this year, so far more than 10/2007 to 8/2009 combined so we have green again, I lost a few trees in the drought though.

Typical for our area:

Too big:
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/DSCF1460.JPG
http://www.krausdesigns.com/images/DSCF1586.JPG
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

I do like that sun set! What sort of wild life do you have round you? Best I ever get is a rabbit or squirrel  :|  

This is the Fylingdales early warning radar at about 6am one day when I couldn't sleep.

KDbeads

I'm not happy with this shot, feels too yellow.  Thinking the polarizer lens wasn't turned quite far enough but give you an idea of here when it rains, otherwise you see a massive mound of cacti there in the center.

Tank

The flowers on the right look interesting with yellow, red and blue, surrounded by the green grass.

And rabbits can be cute  :D

KDbeads

Wildlife?  Well, sir, this here is the hunting capital of TX I tell ya!  Almost our entire economy is based on hunting season.  Seriously.  
White tail deer, raccoon, rabbit, skunk (several different types I might add, including ones that smell like onion), wild turkey, turkey vulture, wild hog, armadillo, bobwhite quail, dove, more dove, did I mention dove?, gray fox, ringtail cat. bob cat, mountain lion, coyotes, did you want some dove?  Have white wing and eurasian collared in the front yard..... more than willing to part with them.

Non native;
axis deer, black buck, and on particular ranches, zebra, oryx, antelope, elk.....

Have a birding friend who points out all the different birds out here, blue heron, painted bunting, brown pelicans during migration, scissor tail flycatchers, dove.....

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"Wildlife?  Well, sir, this here is the hunting capital of TX I tell ya!  Almost our entire economy is based on hunting season.  Seriously.  
White tail deer, raccoon, rabbit, skunk (several different types I might add, including ones that smell like onion), wild turkey, turkey vulture, wild hog, armadillo, bobwhite quail, dove, more dove, did I mention dove?, gray fox, ringtail cat. bob cat, mountain lion, coyotes, did you want some dove?  Have white wing and eurasian collared in the front yard..... more than willing to part with them.

Non native;
axis deer, black buck, and on particular ranches, zebra, oryx, antelope, elk.....

Have a birding friend who points out all the different birds out here, blue heron, painted bunting, brown pelicans during migration, scissor tail flycatchers, dove.....
And people kill these  :sigh:

KDbeads

Critters, not good pics, were made with the PS;

Better sunset, still with the PS though:

Tank

I wished I lived somewhere with that variety of wildlife!

KDbeads

Yep, if it moves during hunting season it's game.  There are county hosted varmint hunts every year.
Not that I have anything against dealing with over population of certain critters (like the deer and the hogs, major over population here, destructive to ranches and townsfolk), I do wish they'd leave everything else alone.

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"Yep, if it moves during hunting season it's game.  There are county hosted varmint hunts every year.
Not that I have anything against dealing with over population of certain critters (like the deer and the hogs, major over population here, destructive to ranches and townsfolk), I do wish they'd leave everything else alone.
I have no objection to culling, particularly non-native species, it's when there is a careless attitude on the part of the hunters. The Spanish shoot anything and they just happen to be on the migration routes of many endangered species.

elliebean

What, no llamas? hehe.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais