News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Language oddities and funnies

Started by Dave, June 12, 2017, 04:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on November 17, 2017, 09:49:37 PM
Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 09:31:12 PM
One advantage I've got is pronunciation. Although, it's a disadvantage too. I've already tried a few phrases on native speakers and they assume I'm fluent. Then I have to stop and ask for English!
I remember this stage, I think it's the most difficult and embarrassing.  ;D You know enough, but not enough...You know what I mean, right?  ;D

Yeah, me too when I went to stay with a friend in France. A good ear for accent can be double edged.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on November 17, 2017, 10:00:11 PM
One advantage I've got is pronunciation. Although, it's a disadvantage too. I've already tried a few phrases on native speakers and they assume I'm fluent. Then I have to stop and ask for English!
I remember this stage, I think it's the most difficult and embarrassing.  ;D You know enough, but not enough...You know what I mean, right?  ;D

Yeah, me too when I went to stay with a friend in France. A good ear for accent can be double edged.
:lol: The clueless look on our face must be hilarious!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Though I am good at spotting and copying accents like a lot of us English I am not good at learning the actual languages.

However I do remember learning folk songs in German, French and Italian before the age of 12. Those songs, in both English and their oroginal languages, stuck in my mind for a long time. I also mske up a tune to help remember telephone numbers - if I forget the actual digits I usually remember the tune, humming it brings the number back.

Some stutterers can get what they want to say out first time if they "sing" it.

joeactor

Quote from: Magdalena on November 17, 2017, 10:03:13 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 17, 2017, 10:00:11 PM

:lol: The clueless look on our face must be hilarious!

It was! I told my Spanish friends immediately. They cracked up!

I'm practicing with whoever I can. So far I've been corrected by my cleaning lady and several waiters. Each time I learn a bit more ;-)

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on November 17, 2017, 10:09:12 PM
Though I am good at dpotting and vipying accents like a lot if us English I am nit good at lesrning the actusl lsnguages.

However I do remember learning folk songs in German, French and Italian before the age of 12. Those songs, in both English and their oroginal languages, stuck in my mind for a long time. I also mske up a tune to help remember telephone numbers - if I forget the actual digits I usually remember the tune, humming it brings the number back.

Like Mel Tillis...

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 10:11:07 PM
Though I am good at dpotting and vipying accents like a lot if us English I am nit good at lesrning the actusl lsnguages.

Like Mel Tillis...

Not familisr with him, though I see that he is a singer, presumably one with a stutter? IIRC if a stutterer puts on a strong fslse accent that helps as well,  something to do with the brain being too busy working on something else it "forgets" about the stutter?

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on November 17, 2017, 10:18:49 PM
Quote from: joeactor on November 17, 2017, 10:11:07 PM

Like Mel Tillis...

Not familisr with him, though I see that he is a singer, presumably one with a stutter? IIRC if a stutterer puts on a strong fslse accent that helps as well,  something to do with the brain being too busy working on something else it "forgets" about the stutter?

He was a famous country singer with a pronounced stutter when he spoke. Lots of videos on him out there...

xSilverPhinx

Seems like speech production and singing recruit different areas of the brain (participation of the left and right hemispheres respectively, in most people), therefore it's easier for a stammerer to speak without stuttering when they sing.

About two weeks ago I went to a Saturday class on neurodevelopment and the lecturer was talking about epilepsy, with a stutter that made what he was trying to say difficult to follow. I felt so bad for the person.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Though I am good at spotting and copying accents like a lot of us English I am not good at learning the actual languages.

IMO, much of it has to do with the fact that a lot of native English-speakers feel it simply isn't necessary to learn another language. Also, one thing I've noticed in many of my mother's students (especially among older people) is the almost pervasive belief that many have that after a certain age they won't reach fluency in a second language. Even with that mindset, they learn English with other motives such as keeping their minds active and so on.   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on November 17, 2017, 09:34:33 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 17, 2017, 09:23:23 PM

Yo tambien tengo que aprender español. :grin:

I may have an advantage though, as Portuguese is very similar to Spanish. "Wrench" would be "chave inglesa", which also literally translates to "English keys".   8)
"chave inglesa" Muy interesante.  :smilenod:

Sorry, correction there: it means English key. :grin:

So it's not mucho interesante...OK... :P

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 18, 2017, 12:57:19 PM

IMO, much of it has to do with the fact that a lot of native English-speakers feel it simply isn't necessary to learn another language. Also, one thing I've noticed in many of my mother's students (especially among older people) is the almost pervasive belief that many have that after a certain age they won't reach fluency in a second language. Even with that mindset, they learn English with other motives such as keeping their minds active and so on.   

Well, it used to be said (by fat men with droopy moustachios, wearing baggy shorts, sandals with socks and solar topees) that if an Englishman shouts loud enough everyone understands what he says.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 18, 2017, 01:24:53 PM

Well, it used to be said (by fat men with droopy moustachios, wearing baggy shorts, sandals with socks and solar topees) that if an Englishman shouts loud enough everyone understands what he says.

So that's why some speak obnoxiously loud when talking to non-native speakers? :lol:

DO..YOU...UNDERSTAND?

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 18, 2017, 01:34:04 PM

So that's why some speak obnoxiously loud when talking to non-native speakers? :lol:

DO..YOU...UNDERSTAND?

Desculpe, não entendo

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 18, 2017, 01:43:17 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 18, 2017, 01:34:04 PM

DO..YOU...UNDERSTAND?

Desculpe, não entendo

:P

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 16, 2017, 10:12:38 PM
Quote from: joeactor on June 16, 2017, 09:55:56 PM
Anyone else notice he's got the same first and last name?

Ricky is short for Ricardo, Yes?

Is Ricky a nickname for Richard (equivalent to Ricardo)?

Can be: Rick, Rich, Richey, Ricky - but Rick & Ricky can also be short for Frederick.