News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Missing Prince One Year Later

Started by Pasta Chick, April 21, 2017, 08:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

I thought he had a topic of his own, but I can't find it. We lost so many in 2016 maybe they all got jumbled together.

I still listen to his music all the time. It's only been since he's been gone I've realized how much it meant to me growing up, and still does.

One of my friends said "I think Prince is one of the only male artists out there in the public eye that truly, genuinely loves women. All women." I think she was right. There were no caveats with Prince. He was usually extremely effeminate himself and apparently completely comfortable being so.

But more to a point for me specifically, Prince loved women who openly owned their sexuality. He didn't sing of "a lady in the streets but a freak in the bed," or "a very kinky girl, the kind you don't take home to mother." He saw sexually confident women and wondered if he was good enough for them. He wrote songs of them enjoying enjoying eachother and parting ways as if it were the most normal thing in the world. There was respect. And that has been everything to me.

Pasta Chick

I read this earlier and thought it was beautiful too

Prince Freed My Daddy from Himself

QuoteHis belief in the dogma of American masculinity was uncompromising. Men behaved like men, and there was no room for even the slightest deviation from the script outlined for the proper performance of manhood and masculinity. Once when I was about 7-years-old, my cousin and I were playing in my mother's closet. My father came in and caught us and yanking my cousin reminded us both that, "Boys do not wear women's clothes!"

The glaring irony of my father completely endorsing toxic masculinity while being a Prince fanatic wasn't lost on me even as a child. Once while watching Prince perform on an awards show, my father's eyes never moved from the screen. This man, in heels and a hot pants, his hair pressed and flowing, gyrating his hips and switching around the stage, mesmerized my father. This man, the antithesis of the masculinity my father held sacred, captivated my daddy. I couldn't understand it.

I decided sometime within the five or so minutes we were watching Prince command the stage that I'd ask my father why — or rather how – he loved Prince so when he dressed in the women's clothes he'd admonished my cousin for donning. I waited until the performance ended (I couldn't risk the punishment certain to follow if I'd dare spoken during the performance.) and tried to work up the nerve to interrogate him.

Finally, I asked, "Daddy, can I ask you something?" "Of course, baby," he replied. "How come you like Prince when he dresses like a girl?" Stunned, he just stared at me. "Because he's Prince," he finally answered. I wasn't satisfied, but I didn't probe further. I resigned myself to believing that it was just one of those things I'd understand when I was older...

Recusant

Yes, Prince was cool in a lot of ways, and as the quote in your second post shows, Pasta Chick, his cultural impact was significant. I remember listening to his music when he was first making it big and I thought (and still think) that his songwriting and performances were superb.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Prince was so totally unique, and such a musical genius on so many levels.
Singing - He had not only incredible range, but so many different voices in his songs, all that not only fit the music, but him and his unique style as well.
Songwriting - He wrote such a wide variety of songs about a multitude of different things, lyrics that were written from the perspective of both men and woman, truly unique.
Guitar playing - He was an awesome musician, be able to play with skill a multitude of instruments, but of course his guitar playing was quite something. People have compared him to likes of Hendrix, but Prince's style was fairly his own, more funky in it's sound much like he was.
His unique sense of style and showmanship - Prince created a look, a sound and a vibe that was all his own, that matched up to him perfectly, as if he dipped himself directly into his soul and personality. He made the look work because it was so completely real, not so much a costume or a outfit. I think that's why so many people liked him so much, people like the father from the article PC posted. You could sense the truth from him, that what he presented to the world was real, and honest.

Anyway I love your post PC.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."