News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Book Recommendations

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 30, 2017, 06:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

I'm going on vacation in a little over a week, and I need a couple good books to take along with me to read so I'm really open to some suggestions here.

Thinking of picking up another one of Haruki Murakami's books. Earlier this year I read  "A Wild Sheep Chase", which I loved and highly recommend. I've also read "Kafka On the Shore" by him, which I really enjoyed.

In fact this was one of the HAF Book Club choices from about a year ago or so.

I believe the book was actually suggested by Crow, and then voted on by us members, and if I'm not mistaken I also believe it is where Crow got his username for the forum.
(I actually read the book twice, and have loaned it out several times) I'm indebted to him for turning me on to Murakami.

So I'm considering either "Norwegian Wood" or "1Q84"; the latter of which I'm kind of leaning heavily towards. However, if someone has another of his books they think I may enjoy more please go ahead and recommend.

But I'll need another to take with me, not sure I'll have time to read two books completely through, but I would hate to finish the first and not have another on standby.

So fire away, and let me hear what you got!

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Davin

I just read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. I liked it.

Crow did say that he got his forum nickname from that book.

My current favorite living authors are Brandon Sanderson and Scott Sigler. On the former, I loved reading The Way of Kings, it's a fantasy book but doesn't have the traditional fantasy things. On the latter, I liked his Galactic Football League series even though I don't like sports, I think it's a good series.

I also read a trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson called Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars. I liked his take on it because it was hardish sci-fi, but also had a great story behind it that would have done well even in soft sci-fi.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

I liked Norwegian Wood -- if I remember right, it had talking cats in it.

What sort of books do you generally enjoy?  If you like supernatural stuff, I can recommend Sara Gran's Come Closer for skin-crawling creepiness, or Lauren Oliver's Rooms for a fun, new look at ghosts.

One of my favorite non-fiction books is Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, about the disastrous Mt. Everest climb in 1996.  Krakauer was on that climb himself, and only just missed being among the dead.  Not uplifting reading, but very gripping.

If you want something more pleasant, I'd suggest about anything by Sarah Vowell -- she writes about American history with a great deal of drollery.  My favorite is The Partly Cloudy Patriot.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 30, 2017, 06:13:08 PM
So I'm considering either "Norwegian Wood" or "1Q84"; the latter of which I'm kind of leaning heavily towards. However, if someone has another of his books they think I may enjoy more please go ahead and recommend.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 31, 2017, 12:15:53 AM

Read, "Norwegian Wood" Father Bruno, read "Norwegian Wood."
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

OK, I was wrong, it was Kafka that had the talking cats.  Damn memory.  Cats do tend to turn up regularly in Murakami tho.
Sandy

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Davin on March 30, 2017, 07:38:31 PM
I just read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. I liked it.

I also read a trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson called Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars. I liked his take on it because it was hardish sci-fi, but also had a great story behind it that would have done well even in soft sci-fi.

Okay I'm going to put Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami on the list of possibilities, as well as look at this trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson as I prefer science fiction that is more science than fantasy, currently reading "God. Speak."by Frank Buchan (This is pretty good).

Thanks for these Davin. ;)

What sort of books do you generally enjoy?  If you like supernatural stuff, I can recommend Sara Gran's Come Closer for skin-crawling creepiness, or Lauren Oliver's Rooms for a fun, new look at ghosts.

One of my favorite non-fiction books is Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air, about the disastrous Mt. Everest climb in 1996.  Krakauer was on that climb himself, and only just missed being among the dead.  Not uplifting reading, but very gripping.

If you want something more pleasant, I'd suggest about anything by Sarah Vowell -- she writes about American history with a great deal of drollery.  My favorite is The Partly Cloudy Patriot.

That's a vote for Norwegian Wood, so I'll put that on the list along with the other two from Murakami that Davin suggested. 

I like all sorts, my reading seems to bounce around a lot. Recently I read "A Wild Sheep Chase", "Siddhartha" (Gift from my son), "The Man in the Mountain", by Bikram Dhillon (Horrible book, I don't recommend at all), "10% Happier", by Dan Harris (Non fiction memoir based on true story, excellent).

I love books by Jose' Saramago, having read and enjoyed quite a few of his the last of which was "The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis", and I also really like Carlos Ruiz Zafón, and his series revolving around The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, starting with "The Shadow of the Wind".

So I'm also going to add Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" to my list, and take a look at Sarah Vowell's works.

Thanks for the suggestions BooksCatsEtc, I appreciate it.

My plan is to hit the bookstore this weekend and browse for a couple hours or more (Can't wait), so I'll take this list along with me and pick at least two books to take with me.

Quote from: Magdalena on March 31, 2017, 05:19:50 AM

Read, "Norwegian Wood" Father Bruno, read "Norwegian Wood."
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sister Mags...you're bad. So bad. Bad Nun.

Anyway I can deal with them (Kats) OK in books, and I liked the Nakata character in Kafka who can converse with them oddly enough.
You know Kats frequently figure in Murakami's fiction, as delegates from another world (See this is why I feel the way I do about them, they are evil and not of this world and both Murakami and I know this)

By the way prior to becoming a writer Murakami owned and ran a jazz club which was called "Peter Cat".

thanks again form the suggestions, it is appreciated. 8)

Recusant

Jonathan Carroll's The Land of Laughs is entertaining, if you enjoy "one step away from reality" type fantasy.

I recently read John Scalzi's latest "Old Man's War" book: The End of All Things, and thought it worthwhile. Even if you haven't read any previous books in the series, this stands well alone. Or, if you haven't read Old Man's War, that's a good one, too.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dragonia

I'm going on vacation in a little over a week, and I need a couple good books to take along with me to read so I'm really open to some suggestions here.

Thinking of picking up another one of Haruki Murakami's books. Earlier this year I read  "A Wild Sheep Chase", which I loved and highly recommend. I've also read "Kafka On the Shore" by him, which I really enjoyed.

I believe the book was actually suggested by Crow, and then voted on by us members, and if I'm not mistaken I also believe it is where Crow got his username for the forum.
(I actually read the book twice, and have loaned it out several times) I'm indebted to him for turning me on to Murakami.

But I'll need another to take with me, not sure I'll have time to read two books completely through, but I would hate to finish the first and not have another on standby.

WAIT...... did you say HAF Book Club?!?!?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

Thanks Recusant, I'll Jonathan Carroll's and John Scalzi's on the list and check them out this week when I go to the book store. (Was supposed to go yesterday, but had to help my son with his online financial-aid stuff and ran out of time)

Quote from: Dragonia on April 03, 2017, 02:47:19 PM

WAIT...... did you say HAF Book Club?!?!?

Yes I did. I tried to find an old thread, but they must have gotten purged during the server issue they had here about a year ago.

The book club was fun, and I daresay we have enough folks here currently active to try and get in going again for the spring and summer months.

Typically we all submit a couple book titles to read, and then have a vote and choose a book to read for the month. Once the time frame is done we can discuss it here online.

Maybe if we all ask and beg our resident librarian, the ever so wonderful BooksCatsEtc to start a new thread and get things rolling we can have a new go at it?

Wink, wink Books? ;D

Dragonia

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 03, 2017, 04:04:51 PM

Maybe if we all ask and beg our resident librarian, the ever so wonderful BooksCatsEtc to start a new thread and get things rolling we can have a new go at it?

Wink, wink Books? ;D

Yeah, Claire started the original book club and I ran it for a bit when she was busy and as you may recall, I was bad at it.  However, I've really been missing that book club so I'll take a go at it.  Maybe Velma can take over when I start dropping the plates! 

I'll start a thread for suggestions.
Sandy

Icarus

I'd even be willing to mail my no longer needed book to whomever might be interested in receiving it. I have a ton of books, only a few of them fiction. I do have a set of nineteen matched books of the Harvard Classics. There are a bunch of the classics like Marlowe, Homer, Dante, Tennyson and more. Those are just the stuffy ones. I have scads of books that I need like I need a paper ass. Many instructional books for boatman and mariners, some highly technical. I have a lot more that I would give to anyone that might want them. I will even pay for the postage in the US, 'cause I respect my HAF friends. Sorry about the overseas shipping. The costs are a little bit prohibitive.

As for a book of the month club or something similar, I will cheer for you to do that. Not my cup of tea because most of you are into novels, whereas I am still trying to learn things from The Audubon Field Guide to North American Birds, The Living Clock: Orchestrations of biological rhythms, The Calculator Cookbook and stuff like that.

Not long ago I gave more than a hundred perfectly good books to my local Library. They turn around and sell them cheaply.  They use the proceeds to help finance some of the kid programs that they run.

Oh here is one. I just ran across a little book that my daughter gave me. It is a fiction tale. The Title: A man Called Ove; Frederick Backman  A fun little book that is a pleasant read about an old curmudgeonly man who was actually a sweet old guy who cared for others.

Right now I am into a library book whose title is; Insane Clown President by Matt Taibbi. It is an insiders look at why and how the insane clown president got himself elected. It is a shrewd analysis of what happened and how the electronic media caused the loss of intellectual capacity of the voters.

The author is not in your face critical of the Christian right but he deals them some severe lumps and bruises.  The Xtian right is part of the problem as most of us will agree.

Rupert Murdock and his peers figured out that the electronic media is far more profitable as an entertainment media, not a news media. Lies and misrepresentations are more entertaining than reality. Thus Hannity, O'reilly, and the rest of the clever crackpots on Fox. Left wing MSNBC does not get off free either.  Taibbis' indictment of the cable media is convincing and his attack on social media is even more damning. The audience, that is us, never mind truth or accuracy, lets raise our voices to whatever opinions we hold as correct and popular for today. Conspiracy theories are rampant and believed by an alarming number of otherwise good American citizens. Taibbi is a print journalist who has done his time on buses and planes that miscellaneous politicians use for travel to town hall meetings or political rallies in hick towns in Iowa, South Carolina, Oklahoma, and everywhere else.

Interesting book but one that may leave you contemplating emigration to Fiji or somewhere else.

Biggus Dickus

So I decided on "Murakami's, Norwegian Wood" as it felt like the perfect book one could loose themselves in while on vacation. I was going to take two books, but as it is I only had time to read the one.

I also had some "light" reading for work I decided to take with me, printed material for a new client/project our company is taking on.
Nothing too heavy just familiarizing myself with the product, a bunch of stuff I had put off reading due to busy schedule, so it worked out fine, read most of it on the plane.

I do want to thank everyone for their suggestions, again I've added everything everyone suggested to the "Reading List" I keep on file, so I'm sure at some point some of these suggestions will make it into my library. Also, shout out to Icarus for offering to share his books with anyone who wants them, thanks for the offer Icarus...I may take you up on a few of those. 8)

I really enjoyed Norwegian Wood, had contemplated purchasing it several times, but glad I waited for vacation time because it was the perfect book to read while traveling.

It was hugely affecting for me, I can't state this more, as times it felt almost like I was reading my own thoughts. Certainly less of a love story, and more of a personal tragedy not only for the narrator, but especially for his two contemporaries.

It is as far as I can remember one of the only few books I've read that have had me tear up at the end, but than again I'm sentimental to a fault so I guess no surprise there.

I read the book for the most part in bits and pieces as time allowed.  On the plane, occasionally in the car while traveling from one part of the country to the other or often at night in bed just before falling asleep.

My favorite time reading this book though was on Easter Sunday. It was the one time I had during the entire trip to be on my very own for while. Wife and a couple relatives had taken my Mother In-law to an early outdoor Easter performance and mass (Lasted 4-5 hours) so I had time to sit and be on my own and just read.

I read for a while in the central plaza sitting at the large fountain, and than after a while moved on to my favorite coffee shop which bordered the plaza.

Fortunately for me the coffee shop was fairly empty at this time, so I had the entire 2nd floor to myself, which included a lovely balcony seat which looked out over the Cathedral were the mass was taken place.

Here's a picture of the 2nd floor, and my seat and table by the balcony.

Here's one of two cappuccinos I enjoyed that morning.

View from my balcony seat.

...and a picture of one of the community chalk boards that invite customers to write on.

Quite frankly it was the perfect spot, on the perfect day, to read a fairly enjoyable book. One of the most contented moments I had during what was actually quite a wonderful week.

By the way it is called, "Cafe Tio Juan".

Essie Mae

A good book in lovely surroundings - heaven. Thanks for the recommendation- I read 'Kafka on he Shore' which was weird, but I'll try Norwegian Wood now.

Recently read 'The Liars' Gospel' by Naomi Alderman which explores how the fall of Jerusalem in AD70 could have been a defining moment in the success of the Christian religion. The book suggests that maybe the Jews  thought Jerusalem fell because they had dismissed the claims of the man known as Yehoshuah, (the Jesus figure), 70 years earlier who had claimed to be the messiah who would free the Jews from Roan rule by peaceful means. From the reviews I've seen, it is offensive to Christians, but that's not the point; how could such a successful religion have started with one man who was not even written about until years after his death? I've often wondered about it and this was just one exploration of how it could have happened.

Also just read 'The Shining Girls' by Lauren Beukes about a serial killer who was also,a time traveller. Not my genre really; I don't like the supernatural much.

Very much enjoyed 'The Good Children' by Roopa Farooki, a family saga about the children of a cruel mother and weak father. Would definitely recommend this.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare