Main Menu

Jesus dress-up

Started by Whitney, June 22, 2006, 10:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

paulisill

LOL i love this!

TwistOfCain

I love that site. Now, time for a shameless plug: Here's a picture of me with the creator or JDU, Bob Smith!

That's me in the jacket. Yes, I know I look silly.
Not about to see your light
But if you wanna find Hell with me
I can show you what it's like.
-Danzig, Mother

"I AM THOTH! AND I WILL NOT BE HUMBLED -- BY MAN OR GOD!"
-Thoth-Amon, The Book of Thoth

Court

Just so you know, you're both wearing jackets.  ;)
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

TwistOfCain

Argh...foiled again by semantics. The LEATHER jacket. Fah.
-Danzig, Mother

Asmodean Prime

too funny!

Asmodean Prime

see, this is one of the things i dont understand about you atheists.  if you don;t believe in God, why bother to seek out things which could be classed as insulting?

more to the point, what has Jesus ever done wrong to you?
i dont mean Christians.  Christians can behave as bad as anybody sometimes, but i mean Jesus himself.  What did HE ever do against you?

from reading your posts, it seems that a lot of you considered yourself Christians at some point, and i assume you did get some comfort or hope from it, otherwise why did you even consider it?
personally i find that God is necessary to life, both to explain the origin and meaning of our lives, and also as a guide and protector.

what about you?  who do you look up to then, if not God?  who is your hero? and why?

TwistOfCain

I play the game not only because it's fun, but because it's an important symbol to me. If this symbol who people revere as sacred and untouchable can be made into an object of fun, it points out its silliness.

Who do I look up to? Well, in some sense, I idolize a character from a japanese manga. Guts, from Berserk, if any of you are familiar with that. Why? Because he's a strong person. He never gives up, never accepts defeat, and fights to the end with every last bit of his strength. He has an enormous strength of will and personality, and no matter how unreachable a goal may seem, he fights to attain it. He's everything I personally want to be.
-Danzig, Mother

Big Mac

Oh Jesus was an alright fellow, his followers just fucked it up. I mean the dude preached tolerance, loving your neighbor, not to be a hypocrite, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, the sinless should cast the first stone, etc. If he saw this, he'd probably ignore it or maybe just laugh a little. I bet Jesus could hit the bong like nobody's business, right?

And dude, we all know the person to look up to is Brian Boitono! Duh!!!! He went to year 3010 and fought evil robot king and saved us all again.....When Brian Boitono built the pyramids, he beat up Kublah Khan, cause Brian Boitono doesn't take shit from Anybody!
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Jassman

Quote from: "onlyme"more to the point, what has Jesus ever done wrong to you?
i dont mean Christians.  Christians can behave as bad as anybody sometimes, but i mean Jesus himself.  What did HE ever do against you?

I'm not convinced that Jesus even existed, as a god or a person. Take a look at this page detailing the evidence (or lack there of) for a historical Jesus:

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

I also strongly disbelieve in such concepts as "too far" and "crossing the line" in the context of a joke. It bothers me when someone genuinely thinks something is funny but feels that it is too inappropriate to laugh. Jokes are meant to make us laugh, that's it. Does the fact that I laugh 95% of the time to sexist, racist, or otherwise stereotypical jokes mean anything? Does it make me a white supremacist or male chauvinist?

Jokes are jokes, learn to laugh and enjoy life.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Big Mac"And dude, we all know the person to look up to is Brian Boitono! Duh!!!! He went to year 3010 and fought evil robot king and saved us all again.....When Brian Boitono built the pyramids, he beat up Kublah Khan, cause Brian Boitono doesn't take shit from Anybody!

:idea: I need to watch that movie again!  

And TwistofCain, you don't look silly...you're adorable.  Tell Bob thanks for jebus dress up (and he should eat a sandwich 'cause he's too skinny).

Who do I look up to?  My hubby, because he's brilliant, kind to animals, and he still puts up with my shit.

Jassman

Quote from: "Big Mac"And dude, we all know the person to look up to is Brian Boitono! Duh!!!! He went to year 3010 and fought evil robot king and saved us all again.....When Brian Boitono built the pyramids, he beat up Kublah Khan, cause Brian Boitono doesn't take shit from Anybody!

Hahaha... didn't notice this on my first post.

I spent most of highschool singing this song, which probably annoyed everybody.

"Yo Brian, don't eat those! Those chicken wings are hot!"

I've never seen a man eat so many chicken wings...
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"see, this is one of the things i dont understand about you atheists.  if you don;t believe in God, why bother to seek out things which could be classed as insulting?

more to the point, what has Jesus ever done wrong to you?

from reading your posts, it seems that a lot of you considered yourself Christians at some point, and i assume you did get some comfort or hope from it, otherwise why did you even consider it?
personally i find that God is necessary to life, both to explain the origin and meaning of our lives, and also as a guide and protector.

what about you?  who do you look up to then, if not God?  who is your hero? and why?

I think it's important to be able to laugh at ourselves and our own beliefs and views.  I've seen things similar to jesusdressup that poke fun at evolution...some of them can be rather humorous.  Some jokes about atheists can also be pretty decent too...can't think of one at the moment though.  

Anyway, why do we find jesusdressup funny.   Well, the jesus depicted there isn't anything like what the real jesus would have looked like...so it's a streach to say it's making fun of anyone that could have actually existed. The jesus mentioned in the bible very well could have been a real person since there were a lot of messiahs wandering around that part of the world during that time period.  Anyway, it's funny for the same reason political cartoons are funny.  George W. Bush hasn't done anything directly to me...but I sure do laugh when I see a cartoon comparing him to a monkey.  In the same way, Jesus hasn't done anything to me, but I find what he represents to be funny.

Anyway...I was a christian because I was raised to be one...it was the only religion I had really been exposed to until I started to search on my own.  If you want to understand why I was a christian and why I moved away from that eventually to agnosticism...read my introduction thread (I haven't finished writing, otherwise it would also explain why I'm an atheist).

Who do I look up to instead of God?  No one...I haven't tried to replace the concept of god with something else.  Everyone has someone older or a celebrity they look up to...even theists.  When theists look up to someone it's not considered a replacement for god...in the same way my looking up to somone isn't a replacement for god.

fundie

Yeah, I agree with you, laetus, to a certain extent, we all need to laugh at ourselves.   The only distinction I'm making, though, is: Why does Jesus come in for such vitriolic critiiscism?  

Ok, let's say for arguments' sake, that Jesus WASN'T an historical person (contrary to historical evidence - do a search).  

If he was only a fairy tale figure, for example - then, at least, the majority of people are IN FAVOUR of the 'hero' on a fairy-tale.

Even in Hollywood movies, the good guy always gets the applause.  If you don't believe that Jesus was real, at least you've got to admit that, from a fairy-tale point of view, He was the good guy.  He stood up for you.  He stood up for the downtrodden, and the lowly.  He suffered on behalf of humanity.

Superman is applauded.  So is every other major 'hero'.  You can't accuse Jesus of any sin.    Even those contemporaries around him couldn't convict him of any sin.  Why, then, is somebody, fictional or not, derided for something he believed he was doing for YOUR sake, and not for his own benefit?

There is something of a slight descrepency here, don't you agree?

Answer honestly.  I answered you when you posted WWJD.

Now it's your turn.

silviakjell

http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/georgie.htm
so laet, you hate g. bush? well, seek your revenge!

p.s. you can use the mouse too
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.