News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Deeper into the Trump Abyss.

Started by Dave, January 30, 2017, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. B

I distinctly remember wondering what Obama meant when he spoke of Hope and Change back in 2008. I was gearing up for a tour in Iraq so I didn't have a whole lot of time to dig into the specifics of how he actually intended to fundamentally change America. I just remember being a little skeptical because of a lack of details during his campaign.

I see Trump as a knee jerk reaction to that kind of hollow campaign rhetoric followed by meaningless executive orders combined with a fear of the "others" with a promise to make things "right". I didn't vote for Trump. I think he is a douche bag and even though I thought Obama was a decent fellow I still had the same reservations because neither of them spelled out, in any detail, how they intended to implement their great change.

The only real difference I see between the two is that Obama actually was a pretty decent diplomat. Trump may end up being a decent president but he needs to be potty trained first.

That may or may not happen. 
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Tom62

I agree with Mr. B.  Trump better learn the ropes fast. Otherwise, Angela Merkel might take over the leadership role of the Free World (heaven forbid).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

The letter from Correta Scott King when Sessions was getting his seat on the Federal District Court.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988-Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.html#document/p1

Given the recent history of voter suppression, I think this letter applies to his current potential seat.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on February 08, 2017, 07:33:08 PM
The letter from Correta Scott King when Sessions was getting his seat on the Federal District Court.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988-Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.html#document/p1

Given the recent history of voter suppression, I think this letter applies to his current potential seat.

Good find!
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Elizabeth Warren had her chops busted for trying to read that letter to the senate body.  Some rule of 1902 vintage that prohibited  demeaning a member of the senate......Elizabeth, the sweet little old firebrand lady will surely plot some revenge.

Sessions may, emphasize the word may, have grown up since the days when he was a practicing racist. Maybe not.  He will be confirmed as AG and we will discover later, whether he has grown beyond his former narrowly focused self.

We can not blame the Donald for such travesties as confirming Betsy DeVos for secretary of education. He is the person who nominated her but not the one or ones who confirmed the appointment. Thank the VP for that.

Ms. DeVos will enjoy the demise of the Johnson Initiative. That is the LBJ conceived rule of about 1954. The rule made it unlawful for churches or any other tax sheltered body to actively (or openly) promote a political candidate or agenda. Without that prohibition we can fully expect the religious right to make some  dangerous progress in the cases against Planned Parenthood, LGBT rights, womens' rights, and a lot more of the things that we heathens hold as important or dear..

I have long had a shit head attitude toward the tax free existence of churches. Consider, as just one example, the enormous cathedral managed and milked by Joel O'Steen and his lovely wife. Tens of thousands of people attend that church and use the public facilities like roads to get there. They almost surely flush the toilets a lot which uses water and sewage facilities, and they accumulate trash that is to be collected, and the fire department and the police department are at their service if needed. The police department is regularly needed to manage traffic to/from the enormous and frequent services. Who do you suppose pays for all those services if the building and the preacher,  and many of the other principals, all operate either tax free or with special dispensations for tax mitigations? 

I should not even be thinking about that stuff. I was a modestly successful business person who was almost always frugal. My little business managed to accumulate some cash that was not needed for the every day business operation. Guess what!  The business had to pay taxes on the accumulated saving accounts of the business every fiscal year, while the church down the street paid nothing for having accumulated excess money that was not critical to their operation.  Sheeeitttt!!!!!! 

End of rant.

Mr. B

I don't hold much animosity towards churches in general, however, I do agree that they should not be automatically tax exempt just because they claim to be a church. L. Ron Hubbard created and registered a tax free haven known as Scientology simply because he could and hey? Who wants to pay taxes on donated money? I'm not certain but I don't think the separation of church and state was intended to be used as a tax shelter.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Dave

El Presidente seems a tad pissed off that his daughter's "fashion" rags have been dropped by a major store - and seems to have allowed this to "leak" into his POTUS Twitter account.

Shape of things to come?

Ethics experts are not amused.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Mr. B

Get that man some Pepto or something cause he has some serious diarrhea of the mouth.

geeze, I thought Obama had thin skin due to the way he complained about Fox but Trump's skin is so thin he literally bleeds if you look at him too hard.

Dave

QuoteTrump's courtiers bring chaotic and capricious style to White House

It also seems that the White House's attitude to things like NATO depends entirely on which member of the administration you speak to.

Seems to be either a "Keep 'em all guessing"  policy or they all have their own songsheet, or they are all a bunch of confused bozos.

Dave

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on February 07, 2017, 06:35:51 AM
I agree with Mr. B.  Trump better learn the ropes fast. Otherwise, Angela Merkel might take over the leadership role of the Free World (heaven forbid).
Why can't we just have Kim-John-or-whatever-his-name-spells-like Un run it? I can suck up to the boss, have me a Maybach with seats upholstered in hides taken from political dissidents, yes? A BETTER world, no? In which I has me a Maybach?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Davin

Quote from: Mr. B on February 09, 2017, 05:19:20 AM
Get that man some Pepto or something cause he has some serious diarrhea of the mouth.

geeze, I thought Obama had thin skin due to the way he complained about Fox but Trump's skin is so thin he literally bleeds if you look at him too hard.
Obama was thin skinned? That is counter to everything he had to deal with and took in stride. He was thicker skinned than any recent president I can remember all the way from Reagan.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Mr. B

Quote from: Davin on February 09, 2017, 02:27:16 PM

Obama was thin skinned? That is counter to everything he had to deal with and took in stride. He was thicker skinned than any recent president I can remember all the way from Reagan.

Personal perception is not always perfect, even in hindsight. Sometimes it helps to have something to compare. I wasn't very politically aware before 2008 so I had nothing to compare Obama to, from a personal perspective. Now I do and what I see has given me a deeper appreciation for how Obama conducted himself in the White House.

Davin

Quote from: Mr. B on February 09, 2017, 07:59:13 PM
Quote from: Davin on February 09, 2017, 02:27:16 PM

Personal perception is not always perfect, even in hindsight. Sometimes it helps to have something to compare.
That is why I asked the question. I don't know everything, even though some people think that I think I do, so there is a huge chance that you are aware of things I am not. Because from what I know, I think he was pretty thick skinned.

Quote from: Mr. BI wasn't very politically aware before 2008 so I had nothing to compare Obama to, from a personal perspective. Now I do and what I see has given me a deeper appreciation for how Obama conducted himself in the White House.
I don't want to be politically aware, but if I want to try to ensure a safe future, I have to be. Already, I think that Trump has proven to be our worst tempered president.

Firebird

Trump's Muslim ban remains blocked. Unanimous court decision. This will likely go to the Supreme Court now, but still very good news:

Court Refuses to Reinstate Travel Ban, Dealing Trump Another Legal Loss
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"