News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Stop the Wall!

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 07, 2017, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

You know it occurs to me now that Trump could well have foreseen that the wall was a non-starter in reality and will change his mind when it suits him. It could well have just been a campaign ploy. A populist banner like 'drain the swamp'.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on January 21, 2017, 09:51:18 PM
You know it occurs to me now that Trump could well have foreseen that the wall was a non-starter in reality and will change his mind when it suits him. It could well have just been a campaign ploy. A populist banner like 'drain the swamp'.

If he drops the idea, I will declare victory and go home.😊

Pasta Chick

I think if he believes he can use it to his advantage, he'll keep pushing the idea. And if the politicians catering to the same crowd think its working, they'll fall behind it too. I don't think the wall will ever be completed, but I think a lot of time and money could go in to the issue, as well as sections being built and landscape being destroyed.

Icarus

I was listening to the NPR radio this morning. A veteran border patrol man was being interviewed. He said that if we build an 18 foot wall there will be 19 foot ladders the next day. That is not all. He said that there will be so many 19 foot ladders that after two or three weeks there will be no need to bring your own. There will be  plenty of them left behind.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on January 22, 2017, 04:57:30 AM
I was listening to the NPR radio this morning. A veteran border patrol man was being interviewed. He said that if we build an 18 foot wall there will be 19 foot ladders the next day. That is not all. He said that there will be so many 19 foot ladders that after two or three weeks there will be no need to bring your own. There will be  plenty of them left behind.

Correct. A wall will stop no one.

xSilverPhinx

It's true that a wall will stop no one but I think he's going to build parts of it (I seriously doubt it's a construction he'll be able to finish).

It looks like a pharaonic project, that is, a vanity project of huge proportions. I can see how that kind of thing could appeal to people like Trump. I don't think he'll let go of that so easily.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 22, 2017, 01:39:08 PM
Quote from: Icarus on January 22, 2017, 04:57:30 AM

Correct. A wall will stop no one.

Yeah, ladders a-plenty.

Presumably they will let themselves down on ropes on the US side.

Now, will they try to carry one long ladder or make sectional ladders, slot together bits that one person can carry?

Will there be lasers trained along the top of the wall? Whole lot of lasers with distance measuring hardware?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Pasta Chick

Plus, you know... Airplanes...

Ecurb Noselrub

Even with a wall you will need border patrol and electronic surveillance, so just dispense with the extravagantly expensive and nature destroying wall, and use more border patrol and electronic surveillance.  You can have reasonable and effective border security without the stupid wall.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 22, 2017, 02:37:33 PM

Exactly! You know how you get into a country? Get a tourist visa and overstay your welcome. I know quite a few middle-class people who have done that.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 22, 2017, 02:55:40 PM

Exactly! You know how you get into a country? Get a tourist visa and overstay your welcome. I know quite a few middle-class people who have done that.

I believe that currently applies to the statistically largest group of illegal immigrants in the US

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 22, 2017, 04:12:41 PM

I believe that currently applies to the statistically largest group of illegal immigrants in the US

That's believable. It's just too easy.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 22, 2017, 09:04:57 PM

Yup. In fact I know several Europeans who have done it. Which makes the racism of "illegals" = Mexicans specifically for some reason that much harsher.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 22, 2017, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 22, 2017, 09:04:57 PM

Yup. In fact I know several Europeans who have done it. Which makes the racism of "illegals" = Mexicans specifically for some reason that much harsher.

:chin: You know, when I went to a US consulate to get my visa I observed some interviews while waiting in line. Interviewers seemed to ask more probing and sometimes humiliating questions to people who looked less white (and poorer). I get why they would do that to people in less qualified jobs, there is the idea that those are wanting to escape to a developed country riding on the dream that there they will get good jobs, but based on skin colour?  :eyebrow:

When it was my turn, the interviewer didn't even look at my papers, didn't ask any probing questions, he just looked at me, at my passport and approved my visa. It was a relief, since I had paid a hefty sum for it beforehand, but it left quite an impression.   

* Edited for clarity.

Arturo

I am monitoring this thread.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱