News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Stop the Wall!

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 07, 2017, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

I've started a non-profit corporation down in Texas with the sole purpose of trying to convince Congress to not build a border wall along the Rio Grande in Texas. That's a natural border of over 1200 miles. Today I mailed 43 letters to every Texas Rep and Senator, as well as to Speaker Ryan, and a few local newspapers.  I'll have a website going soon, and will try my hand at an online petition.  My basic argument against the wall, specifically in Texas, is as follows:

1.  It would destroy the natural beauty of the border area, including Big Bend National Park, Big Bend Ranch, and the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande;
2.  It would prevent US/Texas citizens from having unhindered access to their river, the Rio Grande;
3.  Since the wall cannot be built in the middle of the river (which is where the border is typically located), construction of wall anywhere else on the Texas side would effectively cede the area between the wall and the border to Mexico;
4.  It would disrupt ecological systems in the area;
5.  It is impractical to build a wall along the course of a winding river that features canyons, adjoining tributaries, lakes and cities;
6.  The project would be monumentally expensive and would not work - the same purpose of border security can be accomplished by hiring more Border Patrol (permanent jobs) and increasing electronic surveillance.;
7.  It would divide the private property of some U.S. citizens who have land in the area; and
8.  It would disrupt cultural ties and economic activity in the border cities.

It's a feeble effort, but I love the Rio Grande and its environment, having visited there all my life, and if I don't do something to object to the wall I'll never forgive myself if it is built.  I'll let you know when the website is up.  Then I'll gladly accept $1,000 from each of you.  Unfortunately, since it's lobbying, it won't be tax deductible.  But you'll feel good about it. 

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Good work. You seem to have done an excellent job of getting your organization up and running. I don't know if you're interested in this, but others here may be: Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda

It might be worthwhile to register with them.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Recusant on January 07, 2017, 09:22:37 PM
Good work. You seem to have done an excellent job of getting your organization up and running. I don't know if you're interested in this, but others here may be: Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda

It might be worthwhile to register with them.

Thanks.  I'll check that out.

Read it - some really good strategies there.  I'll try to implement where I can.  thanks.

Firebird

I will happily chip in a little for your effort. I may not live anywhere near the border, but I don't want my tax dollars being wasted on this clusterfuck of an idea.
Latest news is that Trump claims we'll pay for the wall now, but Mexico will pay for it later. Former Mexican president Vicente Fox responded with this on Twitter:

QuoteTRUMP,  when will you understand that I am not paying for that fucken wall. Be clear with US tax payers. They will pay for it.

Speaking of which, Twitter is bleeding money and there's talk it may get sold or not survive. I'm really beginning to think we'd all be better off without it. Just being on a facebook hiatus has been liberating for me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

PROFESSOR FANCY PANTS is no more!  :hug:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

It will take me a while to get my website and Facebook like I want them.  I'll keep everyone up to date.  thanks for the response.

Dave

Yup, let's hope the actuality of the wall has as much substance as the content of Trump's intellect.

[Got a copy of Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience" somewhere, must re-read it in the current context since America too it to beart.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper2/thoreau/civil.html for those who also want to read it.]

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

My Facebook page for this is https://www.facebook.com/NoTexasWall/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel       "Stop the Wall" was not available for Facebook, but NoTexasWall gets the point across. 

Website will be later.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Firebird on January 07, 2017, 09:44:18 PM
I will happily chip in a little for your effort.

Thanks.  I'm going to try to have a PayPal account when I get my website going. 

Icarus

I salute you EN. 

The wall concept is fucking stupid in the first place never mind all those perfectly valid reasons that you have given us.  The great wall of China did not work (except for a tourist attraction)  so why would we think that a mickey mouse sheet pile wall would work. Like hey, there are ladders and airplanes.  Motivated Mexicans are also good at making tunnels damned near all the way to San Diego.

A sheet pile is a flat concrete or steel member that is driven or excavated into the ground sufficient to support the above surface part.  We are talking about one hell of a lot of concrete to cover the nearly 2000 mile length. The whole idea is absurd. The cost would be stupendous, construction time extensive, and the whole idea is the madcap wet dream of a shameless huckster with his head up his ass. I do hope that we can collectively address those realities. Besides all that there are some pretty good reasons to work with the Mexicans who pick our lettuce, tomatoes and strawberries, mow our lawns, trim our trees,  repair our roofs, and do a lot of other things that the lazyass privileged Americans are not inclined to do.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2017, 09:52:48 PM
PROFESSOR FANCY PANTS is no more!  :hug:
True.  :)
I'm beginning to think that he never actually was a, PROFESSOR FANCY PANTS.  :chin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Signed up to the Facebook page and shared it publicly.

Claireliontamer

Shared the page for you Bruce.  Also got John Iadarola from the Young Turks to share it via twitter - he has 80,000+ followers so hopefully that'll get you some traffic. 

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on January 08, 2017, 09:52:42 AM
Shared the page for you Bruce.  Also got John Iadarola from the Young Turks to share it via twitter - he has 80,000+ followers so hopefully that'll get you some traffic.
Excellent.