News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Shades of Things to Come?

Started by Recusant, December 31, 2016, 06:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Trump has shown a predilection for putting people into positions of power who are tied to the oil industry and have an unmistakable anti-climate science agenda. I wonder if we'll be seeing the US government start pushing denier propaganda, beyond shutting down the publication of climate science by government agencies like NASA. This last seems like it's likely.

Perhaps Scott Walker's Republican administration in Wisconsin gives us a peek at the future.

"Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources deletes accurate climate science from agency webpage" | ThinkProgress

QuoteA webpage run by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources used to explain to visitors that climate change is both occurring and is the result of human activity. Now, visitors to the same webpage will find false information claiming that the cause of climate change is still a matter of scientific debate.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that the department, which is in charge of the state's environmental policy, among other things, quietly scrubbed language from a page about the Great Lakes and climate change, striking out entire sentences about human contributions to climate change.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arturo

Climate change is up for debate? Bullshit. I live in michigan and it has snowed ONCE all winter. And the snow MELTED.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Firebird

My one sliver of hope is that his daughter believes in climate change, and he seems to listen to her. So... Ahh fuck it, nope we're in trouble.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Icarus

Question: what is the reason for these denials?  Two possibilities are : there is an ulterior motive for denial. That motive is to benefit some entity or other, like oil or coal interests.  The other reason is that the deniers are simply too ignorant to believe in global warming........ 

Does Trump actually believe that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese? 

Arturo

Quote from: Icarus on January 01, 2017, 04:34:51 AM
Question: what is the reason for these denials?  Two possibilities are : there is an ulterior motive for denial. That motive is to benefit some entity or other, like oil or coal interests.  The other reason is that the deniers are simply too ignorant to believe in global warming........ 

Does Trump actually believe that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese?

From what I've gathered, Trump is a master con man. His motives for conning people are motivated solely by self interest, so he may be doing a favor with this that will later be repaid.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

I don't think that Trump (or even the people putting all their money into the denial of climate science for that matter), believes that global warming is a hoax. I think Trump saw that he could garner support with minimal effort and took advantage of it. Like the "drain the swamp" bullshit right before the election.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Yup, denial and the promise to boost certain industries gets support from the fat cats as well as the workers in those industries.

Like his promise to repatriate the car industry, but I notice that Ford intend to focus on building electric cars at their new site. Still supports certain classes of worker and the energy has to come from somewhere but gives them an extra shine on their image from the green brigade.

Now, will Americans appreciate paying more for their gas guzzlers because they cost more to make at home rather than in Mexico? And no blaming foreign workers for any manufacturing problems, they get repatriated as well.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74