News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Vera Rubin.

Started by Tank, December 27, 2016, 01:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Vera Rubin, pioneering astronomer, dies at 88

2016 has seen a lot of people pass away.

QuoteAstronomer Vera Rubin, whose pioneering work on galaxy rotation rates led to the theory of dark matter, has died at the age of 88, her son says.

Allan Rubin said she died on Sunday of natural causes, AP reported. She was living in Princeton, New Jersey.

Her studies earned her numerous honours, including being the second female astronomer to be elected to the US National Academy of Sciences...
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Always sad, if inevitable, that such people die.

I am often surprised to hear of the death of some one who has done significant work in some field but who has never been in the public eye. Well, not in my public eye anyway and I do try to keep track.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

I remember her on an episode of Horizon explaining Dark Matter.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

I suspect she has no Nobel prize because while she discovered and elucidated the rotational anomalies of galaxies her explanation is at the moment an unproven 'place holder'. Should Dark Matter be discovered then I would expect she will receive appropriate acknowledgement.

xSilverPhinx

I don't know who that is but it is sad that such people pass away.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2016, 09:21:12 AM
I suspect she has no Nobel prize because while she discovered and elucidated the rotational anomalies of galaxies her explanation is at the moment an unproven 'place holder'. Should Dark Matter be discovered then I would expect she will receive appropriate acknowledgement.

Unfortunately, they don't give Nobel Prizes posthumously. But hopefully she would receive acknowledgement in some form.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on December 27, 2016, 03:21:09 PM
Quote from: Tank on December 27, 2016, 09:21:12 AM

Unfortunately, they don't give Nobel Prizes posthumously. But hopefully she would receive acknowledgement in some form.

I am aware they don't give posthumous Nobels. If Vera's work was a perfect example of observation without bias. Her discovery of galactic rotational anomalies has shaped cosmology ever since.