News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinion

Started by Pasta Chick, December 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

The long Labour Day weekend is done and gone with, kids are back in school, the temperatures are dropping, and you can already see some changes with the leaves on the trees, here in Michigan fall is right around the corner which means only one thing:

"Fucking Pumpkin Spice Everything", from cafe lattes, to cookies, milk-shakes, hamburgers, salads, air-freshers, cologne, bagels, bubble baths, pizza,etc...

Please make it stop, what bugs me the most is these flavorings are fake, it's faux-exclusive food-garbage. There is actually nothing resembling a pumpkin in any of these flavorings, its just a concoction of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and maybe allspice thrown together and labeled as pumpkin.

Here's a surprise, you can add these spices together anytime of the year, hell even a regular chai tea taste like the Faux-Pumpkin Crap.

Please Starbucks, take a real fucking pumpkin grown in regular old soil, puree the fucking thing, bake it in a pie crust and sell it as "Pumpkin Pie"...I might buy it.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Father Bruno on September 06, 2017, 03:25:38 PM
The long Labour Day weekend is done and gone with, kids are back in school, the temperatures are dropping, and you can already see some changes with the leaves on the trees, here in Michigan fall is right around the corner which means only one thing:

"Fucking Pumpkin Spice Everything", from cafe lattes, to cookies, milk-shakes, hamburgers, salads, air-freshers, cologne, bagels, bubble baths, pizza,etc...

Please make it stop, what bugs me the most is these flavorings are fake, it's faux-exclusive food-garbage. There is actually nothing resembling a pumpkin in any of these flavorings, its just a concoction of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and maybe allspice thrown together and labeled as pumpkin.

Here's a surprise, you can add these spices together anytime of the year, hell even a regular chai tea taste like the Faux-Pumpkin Crap.

Please Starbucks, take a real fucking pumpkin grown in regular old soil, puree the fucking thing, bake it in a pie crust and sell it as "Pumpkin Pie"...I might buy it.

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home last night and this was staring at me when I checked out...the bastards!

Dave

Well, 'spose you have got to do something with all that stuff you carve out of the plump pumpkins to produce glowing ghoulish growling, gnashing or grinning Halliwe'en heads.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Father Bruno on September 07, 2017, 06:06:46 PM

I stopped by the grocery store on my way home last night and this was staring at me when I checked out...the bastards!

Now there is even science backing folks "Pumpkin Spice Cravings"!!

..."When an odor or flavor -- and 80% of flavor is actually smell -- is combined with sucrose or sugar consumption in a hungry person, the person learns at a subconscious, physiological level to associate that flavor with all the wonderful parts of food digestion,...By combining the recognizable pumpkin spice flavor with sugar, you train your brain and body to remember how delicious the combination is -- and as soon as you smell or even imagine pumpkin spice, your body will have an anticipatory response and crave it, Franssen said.
For that reason, "the pumpkin spice latte (Starbucks) is actually, scientifically, kind of addictive," she said. "Not quite the same neural mechanisms as drugs of abuse, but certainly the more you consume, the more you reinforce the behavior and want to consume more...."

See it's Big Brother Stuff!

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on September 14, 2017, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on September 07, 2017, 06:06:46 PM

Now there is even science backing folks "Pumpkin Spice Cravings"!!

..."When an odor or flavor -- and 80% of flavor is actually smell -- is combined with sucrose or sugar consumption in a hungry person, the person learns at a subconscious, physiological level to associate that flavor with all the wonderful parts of food digestion,...By combining the recognizable pumpkin spice flavor with sugar, you train your brain and body to remember how delicious the combination is -- and as soon as you smell or even imagine pumpkin spice, your body will have an anticipatory response and crave it, Franssen said.
For that reason, "the pumpkin spice latte (Starbucks) is actually, scientifically, kind of addictive," she said. "Not quite the same neural mechanisms as drugs of abuse, but certainly the more you consume, the more you reinforce the behavior and want to consume more...."

See it's Big Brother Stuff!

Oh, yeah! The food marketing gnomes had human biology and psychology worked out decades ago. Maybe centuries empirically. Sweetness and fat give us all kinds of feelings of fullness and satisfaction. Savoury, salty, flavours make some foods "richer" in flavour, enhanced. Salty-sweet, like cheese and apple or grapes, salty butter and jello/jam/honey, does it for me! I also love pork scratchings, pieces of fatty, salty frazzled pig skin (which even the Romans enjoyed).

But the scratchings are a rare treat for me now.

No one

BooksCatsEtc:
I don't think other animals or children are any better judges of character than human adults are.

Just assume everyone is an idiot. Works for me, haven't be wrong yet.

Arturo

Lifting heavy weights will make you thin and toned.

Oh wait this is not the "unpopular facts" thread is it...
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on September 14, 2017, 09:54:16 PM

Lifting heavy weights will make me totally knackered!

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on September 14, 2017, 09:56:04 PM
Quote from: Arturo on September 14, 2017, 09:54:16 PM

Lifting heavy weights will make me totally knackered!

Told you it was unpopular...
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

It depends on how one lifts the weights and the weight of the weights.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on September 18, 2017, 04:38:48 PM
It depends on how one lifts the weights and the weight of the weights.

And "heavy" is a subjective description. After ten extended arm lifts I find my 1kg weight cuffs heavy! Arturo, you would probably not notice them . . .

Arturo

Idk. How much is 1kg in pounds? I don't lift heavy weights currently but it's not that I don't. I'll make a critique of your phrase and say that "heaviness" is relative. It changes depending on the person but there is a certain point where nobody can possibly lift. There might be a point where everyone can lift regardless. (even babies[?]).

In any case, most everyone has the wrong understanding about lifting and beach bods. It's not something that comes natural obviously but the "health" industry tells you lies straight to your face.

Those things they sell on tv are almost entirely junk. They tell you that lifting a half lb resistance band will get you "huge biceps". No it won't because if there is not enough resistance, the muscle won't break down in order to be able to grow from healing. Also EVEN IF that were true, the muscle has to be worked certain ways to get the shape they show on tv.

They remind me of Arnold Schwarzenegger in that documentary with Lou Forigno. Arnold goes to talk to Lou and is actually trying to intimidate him by acting nice. So it actually looked to the people at home that Arnold was being cool and made people want to do it from there on. The double faced person Arnold is, is despicable.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

1kg is 2.2 pounds.

I used to do weight training (and judo) when I was in training in the RAF, I understand there are different techniques for different outcomes.

Up to 1998, and my heart sttack, I used to heave things like 10ft long 8" diameter plastic pipe work and lift 60lb gas cylinders onto my shoulder. Weeks of recovery from the heart attack took months in all and, although I got back to walking OK I was strictly advised to avoid heavy lifting. So I lost my upper body strength

Sort of went downhill from there. My blood pressure is low enough that the veins in my hands and arms become "valleys" rather than "ridges" if I lift my arms above my heart. Also the arteries are "hardened" and that further restricts their ability to expand to allow extra flow for exercise. My arms get very tired very quickly just hanging the laundry up.

Gentle exercise years ago might have helped years ago, and I got that at work just lifting small stuff and using tools, but this is a typical syndrome for old people who have suffered heart problems. As exercise becomes harder one tends to do less of it, swimming is good though bht I don't swim!

Arturo

Quote from: Dave on September 19, 2017, 02:15:12 AM
1kg is 2.2 pounds.

I used to do weight training (and judo) when I was in training in the RAF, I understand there are different techniques for different outcomes.

Up to 1998, and my heart sttack, I used to heave things like 10ft long 8" diameter plastic pipe work and lift 60lb gas cylinders onto my shoulder. Weeks of recovery from the heart attack took months in all and, although I got back to walking OK I was strictly advised to avoid heavy lifting. So I lost my upper body strength

Sort of went downhill from there. My blood pressure is low enough that the veins in my hands and arms become "valleys" rather than "ridges" if I lift my arms above my heart. Also the arteries are "hardened" and that further restricts their ability to expand to allow extra flow for exercise. My arms get very tired very quickly just hanging the laundry up.

Gentle exercise years ago might have helped years ago, and I got that at work just lifting small stuff and using tools, but this is a typical syndrome for old people who have suffered heart problems. As exercise becomes harder one tends to do less of it, swimming is good though bht I don't swim!

This is interesting because I always want to know what eill happen to me when I'm older. My Dad has never ad a heart attack but is well on his way towards one. Sorry, tangent. What I wanted to ask was, when you were doing the heavy lifting, did you ever rest at all? And if so, how often and for how long?

I like swimming. I don't know anyone with a pool though.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Arturo asked:
QuoteWhat I wanted to ask was, when you were doing the heavy lifting, did you ever rest at all? And if so, how often and for how long?

It was a work situation, building water flow test set-ups, moving pipes into position with no travelling crane overhead. Do a bit of lifting, do a bit of spannering, go for a coffee, do a bit of wiring up . . . Just whatever job whenever, some heavy, some sit and think, no set routine.

The weight training in the RAF was one hour a week. Also once a week we would have a two mile run, a five mile route march, a ream sport and an jndividual sport. Plus all the military and technical training of course!

Every weekday was a very full and long day from 6am to 5pm, but we got evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons off.

PS: when I say we had "time off" that was when we had to maintain our uniforms and kit, polish the floor and the brightwork, clean the bathrooms (to use your quaint American euphemism) and other common areas. On a rota some of the juniors had to get up at 5am to help prepare and serve breakfast.