News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Donald Trump doesn't really matter to his supporters

Started by Sandra Craft, September 09, 2016, 10:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Yes, I know I'm flogging Jon Pavlovitz a bit lately, but at least this one is political and not religious:  Donald Trump Doesn't Really Matter to Donald Trump Supporters:

QuoteWhether Trump's supporters believe he represents a loud middle finger to the political establishment, or some renegade cowboy coming in to shoot up all the bad guys, or whether he simply makes them feel better about the stuff they're afraid of, they're going to vote for him regardless of how terribly he acts or what disgusting things he says. The content of his character, the nonexistence of a plan, and the lack of any relevant experience governing all seem unimportant. He talks like some 40's movie gangster while tossing around verbal molotov cocktails of nationalism and doom, with a splash of Jerry Springer and a twist of Old Testament Angry God: America as imagined by a comic book super villain—and this is all fine.

The really frustrating thing is that I agree arguing with Trump supporters is pointless but I still want to do it!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Same as arguing with fundies, pointless but, somehow, dificult to give up.

Hmm, Trump supporters of a different "fundie" type in American society?

I am sure Adolf had similar fundies!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on September 10, 2016, 08:28:35 AM

Godwins law!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on September 10, 2016, 08:54:21 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on September 10, 2016, 08:28:35 AM

Godwins law!!!

So what!!!

:snooty:

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I think that Pavlovitz nailed it when he says that fear is a prime motivator, but it seems to me that many people see Trump as being a saviour, in spite of his many inadequacies. To me he just seems, well...intellectually challenged and he oozes disgusting narcissism. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 10, 2016, 02:38:52 PM
I think that Pavlovitz nailed it when he says that fear is a prime motivator, but it seems to me that many people see Trump as being a saviour, in spite of his many inadequacies. To me he just seems, well...intellectually challenged and he oozes disgusting narcissism.

I'm thinking the intellectually challenged narcissist part may be very attractive to his followers -- like calling to like, you know?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 10, 2016, 08:22:45 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 10, 2016, 02:38:52 PM

I'm thinking the intellectually challenged narcissist part may be very attractive to his followers -- like calling to like, you know?

Yeah, I can see that happening. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Trump followers and fundamental xtians are cut from the same cloth. Most of them are entirely capable of exercising the powers of reason but certain of their beliefs are not to be subjected to examination, reason be damned.