News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Guilty Pleasures

Started by Kekerusey, August 31, 2016, 10:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on September 01, 2016, 08:59:27 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 01, 2016, 08:43:40 PM

I need one too, now, because I'm thinking about Gene Wilder.   :'(

Oh! I know!
Me too! Come here!

:waah:  Been watching Young Frankenstein once a day since Tuesday, when I heard about it.  Definitely not a guilty pleasure.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

:sad sigh:
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 02, 2016, 05:21:38 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on September 01, 2016, 08:59:27 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 01, 2016, 08:43:40 PM

I need one too, now, because I'm thinking about Gene Wilder.   :'(

Oh! I know!
Me too! Come here!

:waah:  Been watching Young Frankenstein once a day since Tuesday, when I heard about it.  Definitely not a guilty pleasure.

Aw Books! :console:

:sad sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Kekerusey

Quote from: No one on September 02, 2016, 02:00:18 AMIt has nothing to do with appreciation. One should not give a rats ass what others think. If you don't like the music I like, I don't care. If you don't like the movies I like, I don't care. I'm not like everybody else. I will not like or conform because the mass of sheep can not think for themselves, and live to comply with their pathetic self defined state of normalcy. To hell with them!

Now, I mean no disrespect to you, just stating how I feel about the subject.

Fair enough ... clearly I disagree.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Davin

Quote from: Steeler on September 02, 2016, 12:45:48 AM
Quote from: Davin on September 01, 2016, 09:26:16 PM
Quote from: Steeler on September 01, 2016, 08:05:57 PM
Eraserhead?
I haven't seen that one, though I have heard of it. Just never got around to watching it.

It's been years, but it was the strangest thing I've ever seen.
I'll try to get around to it soon then.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Kekerusey

I watched this yesterday whilst on my exercise bike:

In short some very good actors (the trio of good guys being by far the worst ... I read somewhere that the acting of Sam J. Jones, the titular character, was so bad they had to completely redub his voice) doing some very bad acting to an awful script against dubious effects. I'm surprised there weren't any wobbly walls as well.

It's cheesy, it's camp and, with the Queen soundtrack, it's absolutely f***ing great! The best scene in my not so humble opinion is the American Football bit in Ming's throne room, just brilliant! Yet really, really crap!

Go Flash Go, Go Flash Go, Go Flash Go ...

Keke

xSilverPhinx

When I was a teenager I would listen to the pop rock band Creed. And like it.

Nickleback as well. I'm almost ashamed of that one.  :blush:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

The very first 45 (vinyl record format) single pop song I ever bought was: Eddie Rabbitt - I Love A Rainy Night. I think the second record I bought was: JUICE NEWTON - Queen Of Hearts. I loved Kenny Rogers and Michael McDonald. I think I'll stop right now.  :run!:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Kekerusey

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 11, 2016, 11:46:22 PM
When I was a teenager I would listen to the pop rock band Creed. And like it.

Nickleback as well. I'm almost ashamed of that one.

I've never understood why people dislike Nickleback, no more than I understand why people dislike the Star Wars prequels.

I don't know much about Creed but I did like the one song I ever heard from them:

Quote from: Magdalena on September 12, 2016, 02:23:53 AMThe very first 45 (vinyl record format) single pop song I ever bought was: Eddie Rabbitt - I Love A Rainy Night. I think the second record I bought was: JUICE NEWTON - Queen Of Hearts. I loved Kenny Rogers and Michael McDonald. I think I'll stop right now.

Only thing I ever heard by Kenny Rogers was "Ruby" which I pretty much just thought was funny. As for Mr. McDonald, I used to love late 70's funk so yeah, I kinda regard "Ya Mo Be There" as a classic dance tune.

In its (my) defence he seems to be the guest singer of the main artist, James Ingram.

Keke

Keke

No one

Kekerusey

Quote from: No one on September 12, 2016, 11:03:45 PM
Simple, nickelback suck!

Whatever, that's just your opinion and, as such, inherently valueless. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Opinions are like *ssholes, everybody has one!"

My view (inherently valueless like everyone else's) is that music is art, and what is good or bad in art is merely a populariity contest.

Keke

Davin

I read this a while ago about Nickelback, and I think I can agree with one of the quotes in it:

QuoteNickelback is too much of everything to be enough of something. They follow genre expectations too well, which is seen as empty imitation, but also not well enough, which is read as commercial tactics and as a lack of a stable and sincere identity.

I don't really mind Nickelback.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

No one

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 13, 2016, 12:31:40 PM
Quote from: No one on September 12, 2016, 11:03:45 PM
Simple, nickelback suck!

Whatever, that's just your opinion and, as such, inherently valueless. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Opinions are like *ssholes, everybody has one!"

My view (inherently valueless like everyone else's) is that music is art, and what is good or bad in art is merely a populariity contest.

Keke

No, not an opinion. They are basic average musicians, that make basic average music. Compared to the likes of RUSH or Zeppelin, they are subpar at best!

Kekerusey

Quote from: No one on September 13, 2016, 09:43:32 PMNo, not an opinion. They are basic average musicians, that make basic average music. Compared to the likes of RUSH or Zeppelin, they are subpar at best!

Which is just your opinion, nothing more (one I don't share) ... if it wasn't then you should be able to define a formula, a method, a something that absolutely identifies good music vs bad. I don't believe you can. I don't believe anyone can because ultimately all of these things come down to nothing but personal preference.

Can you do that? Can you come up with a formula or whatever? If so please post it.

Keke

No one

No one

Also, I suppose you're going to tell me that the guitar player in nickelback is as good as Hendrix or Clapton.