News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

PLEASE HELP ME... I THINK I DESERVE TO DIE....

Started by MatureMcLeod, July 26, 2016, 03:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: MatureMcLeod on July 26, 2016, 09:52:33 PM
For those who didn't know, I'm using sarcasm throughout this entire post. It's God who is evil, not us.
We have no idea what you're doing after just 6 posts. You're just another voice from the void.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

The Mabus. What happened to him anyways? Dead? In jail? Mental institution? House arrest with no Internet? Any combination thereof?

Quote from: Magdalena on July 27, 2016, 05:56:16 AM
Are you talking about this one?
Yep.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Ah..! It's a sad epic, that. Some serious shrinkotherapy would likely be good for that one in oh, so many ways.... But will he comply for the duration..? I doubt it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Velma

I had a few run-ins with Mabus when I was on staff at the old Richard Dawkins' forum (now defunct). He'd clutter up the place for a few days by rejoining under a different username every time we banned him. Then he would lose interest in RDF and go bother other places for a while. I got pretty good at spotting his aliases even before he posted.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on July 27, 2016, 03:11:50 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 27, 2016, 01:37:29 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 27, 2016, 12:44:36 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 26, 2016, 10:14:36 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 26, 2016, 03:45:39 PM
fuck off

Are we getting atheist Mabus's now?

I had forgotten all about Mabus!  :o

The circus needs a clown every now and then.

Who was Mabus?  Did I miss something fun?

He's the kind of individual you really hope doesn't sit next to you on the bus. Or run into during any activity or any time of day, for that matter. :smilenod:

:grin:

:lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

imaginaryfriendless

So, as I mentioned, although I've been a heathen nonbeliever for 40 years or so, I'm new to this whole forum thing, as well as...err, lets call it atheist support groups, in general.

I'm getting the feeling, from several posts here and elsewhere, that there has been a sort of underground internet-based Unholy War going on, with a number of key players on both sides keeping the fires stoked for years now. I guess I've just been deaf dumb and blind to it...what a drag, it seems like I've missed out on a lot of good times. Although the few "old timers" I've run across that play for God's Children seem to be nuttier than a thousand fruitcakes.
Are there any priests or ministers (not counting the web-ordained weirdos) that have taken up the virtual sword of the arch angels, who I should watch for? I'd love to debate some things with someone well versed in the religious trappings who wasn't 6 fries short of a happy meal. (hmm...verging on oxymoronic territory there)

I feel like I've missed so much...virtual unholy wars should be better advertised.

Cheers!
Jamie

98% of us will die, at some point in our lives.

Asmodean

Hmm... Yes, there are some interesting characters on both sides of the issue. Some interesting weirdos too, actually. Just check out the dump pile of crazy troll posts here;)

I expect there are priests and ministers on atheist forums. Not sure if they are or ever have been active here, but it would not surprise me.

The thing with the more honest variety of people of faith is that they admit that it's faith. They are not necessarilly looking to convince anybody, but rather to understand the opposition, so to speak. Therefore, my assumption is that many such people may read the forums without actively contributing to their content, a practice known as lurking.

Of course, the active ones often being aggressive salesmen of divinities, that may well contribute to skewing our collective perspective when it comes to the religious in general, but that's a-whole-nother topic of conversation. It may be said, however, that people of faith who do stick around are generally of a higher calibre (at least in my subjective view) than those who leave in a fit of martyrdom. It takes some integrity and honesty towards oneself to be able to tolerate your beliefs being challenged, apparently. Challenging one's beliefs ought  to be everyone's duty if you ask me, but then again, I'm only human by definition.  ;)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

imaginaryfriendless

Challenging one's beliefs ought  to be everyone's duty if you ask me, but then again, I'm only human by definition

Agreed...I love debating religion with ministers or priests, when I run across one open to the idea. I'm under no delusion that I will change his mind about anything, and most authentic priests don't think they're going to change my views, I've found...yet I think we both use these discussions to strengthen our own arguments. If I can hold my ground and sound reasonable against a priest who is secure in his faith, few nut bags will give me a run- and I think some priests look at discussions with intelligent atheists the same way.
I just wish these headline-grabbing atheists would shut the hell up...like that Madalyn O'hair freak. We aren't a religion, these idiots are not our spokespeople, where do they get the idea they have some sort of status? I don't care if our money says "in god we trust"...I don't care if the ten commandments are on the courthouse wall. They aren't a bad model for a decent life, and they are our history. Why should they threaten us as atheists? Pray in schools, have fun with it. I'm gonna read while you do it, let me know when you're finished. The US wasn't based on freedom of Christianity...it was based on freedom of religion. Everyone do their thing, just don't hurt anyone else. Feelings not included.
Jamie

Dave

IF wrote:
QuoteI just wish these headline-grabbing atheists would shut the hell up...

Yup, pushing your ideas too hard is a good way of putting others of. I am not shy of publicising my "belief" in humanism, or my atheism, when the matter arises. But pushing it too hard makes us as bad as the other bunch.

I did take the local vicar, gently, to task when he said, in the village magazine (not a "parish magazine) something about not being "part of the herd" and coming to church to praise the almighty instead. I made the point that his faithful congregation were also his flock, tending to think with one mind, sing with one voice - conforming with centuries old dogma and doctrine.  Who, then, had the herdlike behaviour?

He had the grace to concede, though he would not take the conversation further.

imaginaryfriendless

I did take the local vicar, gently, to task

I haven't been to England in several years, although I used to go several times each year at least...I miss it. Fish n chips wrapped in a newspaper from the street vendors and people saying things like "the local vicar". What a country. I need to get back.
Jamie

Dave

Quote from: imaginaryfriendless on July 28, 2016, 11:50:48 AM

I did take the local vicar, gently, to task

I haven't been to England in several years, although I used to go several times each year at least...I miss it. Fish n chips wrapped in a newspaper from the street vendors and people saying things like "the local vicar". What a country. I need to get back.

If you had fish and chips in newspaper that must have been about 50 years ago! It's been illegal due to risk of infection for about that long. Pity, as a kid we used to get a load of "bits" in exchange for a wad of paper.  Never seen a street vendor selling them either, hot baked potatoes, pies, jellied eels, shellfish, chestnuts, even hot-dogs and burgers later. But it all sort of died out in the 60s.

Street food is getting popular again in some towns, all for it! There's a mobile Chinese kitchen around here somewhere and a good selection of cooked exotic, and local, foods can be found at the weekly market.

Blighty might have changed a bit from your last visit, IF, lots of things lost and few things really gained IMHO.

Recusant

There are a few places that use a fake broadsheet, though. It's called "Fish and Chip Times" or something along those lines. I've encountered it in Cornwall and Surrey.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on July 28, 2016, 07:31:23 PM
There are a few places that use a fake broadsheet, though. It's called "Fish and Chip Times" or something along those lines. I've encountered it in Cornwall and Surrey.
Good point, forgot that!