News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

I'm schizophrenic by definition

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, July 24, 2016, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

So I'm a Christian, not a dogmatic one but an experiential one, and gentle dissident says I'm schizophrenic by definition. Tank previously told me I was deluded, but schizophrenic is a few levels beyond that.  What say ye? 

Now, since Magdalena turned me into a newt, I have exhibited multiple personalities.  Today I saw a water bug in my pool and I grabbed it and ate it.  Tastes like chicken.

Asmodean

Hm. I'm a near-sociopath by some definitions, near-psychopath by others. My experience is that it doesn't really mean much.

If you look for a psych diagnosis hard enough, you will probably find it, pretty much no matter who you are.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

By "...not dogmatic..." do you mean that, say, you do not subscribe to the creation story?

It does surprise me that any person can subscribe to a belief that is, on the larger scale, so at variance with the world.

It does not surpruse me that some need a "security blanket" in this vicious world,

To my mind humanist values run parallel to Christian ones in almost all respects other than any belief in the supernatural. But that goes for the basics of many religions, indicating that they are "wired in" to the human mind.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on July 24, 2016, 10:40:11 PM
By "...not dogmatic..." do you mean that, say, you do not subscribe to the creation story?

It does surprise me that any person can subscribe to a belief that is, on the larger scale, so at variance with the world.

It does not surpruse me that some need a "security blanket" in this vicious world,

To my mind humanist values run parallel to Christian ones in almost all respects other than any belief in the supernatural. But that goes for the basics of many religions, indicating that they are "wired in" to the human mind.

I don't take the creation story literally. It's a story.  I subscribe to an old earth and evolution.  But that is irrelevant.  Gentle dissident says I'm schizophrenic by definition. 

Asmo, I understand your position.  I'm kinda anti-social myself.  I'd be fine with being alone.

xSilverPhinx

Schizophrenia is a mental disorder caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. It has nothing to do with multiple personalities. ;)

While I do think that Christians (and all religious people) are deluded, I don't like that such a disorder which can be quite serious and debilitating is thrown around like it was nothing. Someone close to me is schizophrenic. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 10:51:29 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 24, 2016, 10:40:11 PM

I don't take the creation story literally. It's a story.  I subscribe to an old earth and evolution.  But that is irrelevant.  Gentle dissident says I'm schizophrenic by definition. 

Asmo, I understand your position.  I'm kinda anti-social myself.  I'd be fine with being alone.

"Anti-social" or "asocial"?

There is a difference, the former is more active and can be close to a  personality disirder.

But how do you reconcile that with "Christian values" which I understand to include brotherly love, charity etc., qualities that require some sort of social link?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

I love and show charity from afar, sort  of like God does.  I give money to causes that I think are worthy.  Nurses and social workers love from nearby.  Philanthropists and donors love from afar. I'm the latter.

You're right - asocial is better than anti-social.  The older I get the more I want to be by myself.

Icarus

When GD gets to know Bruce better he will no longer have reason to label him as schizophrenic.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 10:14:17 PM
Now, since Magdalena turned me into a newt, I have exhibited multiple personalities.  Today I saw a water bug in my pool and I grabbed it and ate it.  Tastes like chicken.

I was told they tasted like bacon.

QuoteSo I'm a Christian, not a dogmatic one but an experiential one, and gentle dissident says I'm schizophrenic by definition. Tank previously told me I was deluded, but schizophrenic is a few levels beyond that.  What say ye? 

I look at Xtians on TV and they mostly seem to come from some kind of paranoid looney-land, which is even worse than being schizophrenic. 

Except for Jimmy Carter -- he's more like the Xtians I know in everyday life.  All of them believe something I consider fantastical, some have more fantastical beliefs than others, but all of them are kind, decent people who appear completely rational except for the supernatural thing. 

And who knows?  Maybe they're right about that and I'm overly cautious.  Doesn't mean I'm going to stop needing evidence because that's how my mind words, but I'm always aware I could be wrong.

In any case, I trust them, I rely on them and often ask them for advice.  What it all comes down to is I have no idea who's nuts and who's not, tho I'm not taking any advice from preachers I've seen on TV.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 10:14:17 PM...
I know, I was watching you.  :reading:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on July 25, 2016, 06:18:38 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 10:14:17 PM...
I know, I was watching you.  :reading:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Yep, that's me.  It really embarrasses my wife.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 24, 2016, 10:51:29 PM
I'd be fine with being alone.
Yep. Actually, I get along with pretty much everybody. However, people who get along with me are either like-minded individuals or my polar opposites in certain areas. It's a bit weird, and frankly, I'm of a mind to find a fat psychology tome on the subject.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.