News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Ongoing military coup in Turkey

Started by Asmodean, July 15, 2016, 11:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

A British ex-colonel, who seems to be still working in this politico-strategic area, has just said, on BBC, that the whole coup stinks and will enable Erdogan to co-opt powers to further his ambitions . . .

He described Erdogan as another Saddam Hussein in the making.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Firebird asked:
QuoteAnd why bomb Parliament in the middle of the night in the weekend? What does that accomplish?

Well, if you think in as cynical a manner as I do in these sort of political circumstances - if you view Erdogan as  a leader with strong ambitions towards dictatorship . . . Any kind of disruption of the process of democratic parliament is gonna help those ambitions.

Just heard, a Turkish government spokesman has just said that it should not be condidered tnat the coup is fully over.

Nice reason to establish special laws and regulations to ensure that all possible opposition to the democratically appointed government is kept under control . . .

Asmodean

Ah! Dictators come and go, but coups... Coups are forever. Yes?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2016, 06:01:09 PM
Ah! Dictators come and go, but coups... Coups are forever. Yes?
Not if they are chicken coups!

Dave

So, there was a coup that seems to have been badly set up. [Later] Just a feeling that most coups last a bit longer and do a bit more general damage than this one

Most of the casualties were civilians rather than armed forces personnel. *

Parts of the coup gave up when confronted by unarmed civilians supporting Erdoğan.

Other parts were overcome by national police.

Another large coup group gave in knowing that they would, in theory, be facing very harsh punishment, if not execution for treason.

Non-strategic, unoccupied, parliamentary locations were bombed.

This might indicate that the forces attacking those locations were against the democratic process.

Cynically the above might apply to both sides.

The countermeasures are extended to the arrest of many members of the judiciary.

It is officially suggested that the coup attempt may not yet be over.

This leaves the door wide open for "special measures".

Sniff, sniff. What the hell is that bloody awful smell!?

*Update: later news indicates possibly 100+ armed forces were killed, about 160 civilians. An analysis of who those people were and where they died would be interesting.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Erdogan has demonized Fethullah Gulen, a moderate cleric living in the USA.  When I read about him he sounds much more rational than most clerics.  He will not be extradited, even tho Erdogan has requested this.  We still support freedom of speech/religion here, and Gulen denies any involvement in the coup.  Erdogan is a demogogue.

Dave

Erdoğan's post-coup "purge" is begining to look like an obvious attempt to wipe out all possible opposition. I would not be surprised if oppostion party MPs are not taken in for "questioning" - assuming that has not already started.

It seems that there have been many "confessions" saying that Gulen organised it all and that the Gulen institutes etc are being shut down.

Er, why do I fell sceptical about most of this?

How long before an anti-Kurd progrom, in the guise of self-defence of course, one wonders?

Asmodean

Of course, a lot of the fault seems to lie with the well-educated... Or that's how theyt seem to be trying to spin it. What better way of uniting the unwashed masses behind your banner than point at a guy who has done well and proclaim that his stuff is rightfully their?

Turkey's been slipping for a long time. Currently... Well, at the very least, they've successfully made it onto my fuck-that-place-list.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 23, 2016, 07:38:57 PM
Of course, a lot of the fault seems to lie with the well-educated... Or that's how theyt seem to be trying to spin it. What better way of uniting the unwashed masses behind your banner than point at a guy who has done well and proclaim that his stuff is rightfully their?

Turkey's been slipping for a long time. Currently... Well, at the very least, they've successfully made it onto my fuck-that-place-list.

My emphasis. They have been applying that one to the Jews since the Diaspora! But, they were an easy target for Hitler and others before him, they tended to be naturally good at business (and maths, science etc for that matter) they were rich and therefore, being "foreign" as well, natural targets for envy.