News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Makes you think...

Started by Tank, July 10, 2016, 07:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

Another twisted fact: the black man who was killed in Minnesota alerted the police officer that he had a firearm that he was licensed to carry before reaching for his ID, and the police officer supposedly shot him because of concern over said gun. Imagine that was a white guy, and then imagine how the NRA would have responded: screaming that someone was shot while exercising their constitutional right to bear arms. But in this case, with a black man? Not a word. But when the 5 Dallas police officers were killed? Plenty of sympathy for them.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Steeler

Quote from: Firebird on July 10, 2016, 11:36:31 PM
Another twisted fact: the black man who was killed in Minnesota alerted the police officer that he had a firearm that he was licensed to carry before reaching for his ID, and the police officer supposedly shot him because of concern over said gun. Imagine that was a white guy, and then imagine how the NRA would have responded: screaming that someone was shot while exercising their constitutional right to bear arms. But in this case, with a black man? Not a word. But when the 5 Dallas police officers were killed? Plenty of sympathy for them.

Most police shootings are cops shooting whites. I don't hear the NRA really commenting much on individual cases, black or white.

Tank

Quote from: Steeler on July 11, 2016, 04:38:34 AM

Most police shootings are cops shooting whites. I don't hear the NRA really commenting much on individual cases, black or white.
It would be informative to see the death rate by race by police per 100,000 of the population. More white people are killed because there are more white people in America. The issue isn't the absolute number killed but the probability of being killed by race. I don't have the figures to hand but I think a non-white is proportionally more likely to be killed than a white. But do proportionally more blacks live in deprived areas where violent crime is more prevalent? Thus making the police more edgy and likely to shoot first and ask questions later?

One thing is true, this is a complex issue for which there are no sound bite answers.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Some years ago there was a series on Brits working abroad.

One such was an ex-English copper in the LAPD. He and the interviewer were sitting in a patrol car on the edge of a deprived area when a shot rang not, not that close.

The cop barely reacted, just cocked an ear for any more shots I think. The interviewer asked if he was going to try to check on it. His reply went along the lines of:

"No, one shot, we wait for a report from some one or a 911 call. I could drive for miles and not find any trace of the shooting. Not good policy in this area."

Such "fear", some might say justified, of an ethnic group has a long history.

Recent news in the UK says that ethnic minorities are now tending to move out to the more affluent suburbs if they are able, away from their "traditional" inner city areas. This is what integration needs, not the ghetto mentality.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on July 11, 2016, 12:52:37 PM
It would be informative to see the death rate by race by police per 100,000 of the population. More white people are killed because there are more white people in America. The issue isn't the absolute number killed but the probability of being killed by race. I don't have the figures to hand but I think a non-white is proportionally more likely to be killed than a white. But do proportionally more blacks live in deprived areas where violent crime is more prevalent? Thus making the police more edgy and likely to shoot first and ask questions later?

One thing is true, this is a complex issue for which there are no sound bite answers.
As I understand it it is a city versus country thing. Don't quite recall where I heard that, though.
In the cities more of the shootings tend to involve black Americans, while outside the cities the prevalence is towards whites.
I think it safe to say American cops are to trigger happy over all and far too poorly trained.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Steeler

Yes I would agree that a non white is probably more likely to be involved in a police shooting. But you also have to keep in mind that blacks commit over 50 percent of the violent crime, violent criminals I would think would be more likely to end up in a shootout with police.

Dave

Quote from: Steeler on July 11, 2016, 02:19:08 PM

Yes I would agree that a non white is probably more likely to be involved in a police shooting. But you also have to keep in mind that blacks commit over 50 percent of the violent crime, violent criminals I would think would be more likely to end up in a shootout with police.
I wonder what the stats, Italians : all other ethnic groups, were during the whole Mafia period when it was mainly Italians committing the violent crimes? Were the cops as twitchy then?

On reflection the Italians were not so visually identifiable, even at night or from a distance, as a person of colour. If the cops were as twitchy a lot of innocent whites would have been shot.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

gentle_dissident

Here's a guy with some stats who says they show that black people brought it on themselves. http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

Rap artists will tell you that they were told to write gangsta or get out. Was it all about the ticket sales?

Davin

--Citation needed.

Quote from: Steeler on July 11, 2016, 02:19:08 PMYes I would agree that a non white is probably more likely to be involved in a police shooting. But you also have to keep in mind that blacks commit over 50 percent of the violent crime, violent criminals I would think would be more likely to end up in a shootout with police.

--Citation needed.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I would just like to see where you're getting the data for these since I've found that getting good data to be very problematic since NRA had successfully unfunded research into gun violence and most police departments report inaccurately. I know there is a lot of bullshit data being shared around by both racists and anti gun control people that is causing a lot of misinformation, some of which matches the stats in your claims.

So if we look at this bunch of data:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/?tid=a_inl

494 white people shot by police against 258 black people. While that is certainly more whites in straight numbers, that would only matter if the populations were also equal. Being that whites are about 72% of the population and blacks are 13% of the population, the numbers don't look so good anymore. If there was no racial problem, we'd expect the amount to reflect the same percentage in both, I.E.: either 709 White shot and 128 blacks shot, or 985 whites shot and 258 blacks shot.

But let's also look at unarmed people being shot by police, 32 whites to 38 blacks. That's before any population adjustments, that's just the raw amount. When we adjust by population it gets much, much worse.

And then there is your second claim, that blacks commit 50% of all violent crimes. I just don't know the stats where you get these numbers from.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-43

Here is some data, not accounting for bad police reporting of course, but you'd have to cherry pick some data to get to the 50% number. But then again, it also doesn't bode well when we adjust for population, but you didn't specify that in your claim. In fact, there ain't much to your claim at all, but I would like to see your data.

The reliable data shows that there is a racial problem.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: gentle_dissident on July 11, 2016, 05:20:19 PM
Here's a guy with some stats who says they show that black people brought it on themselves. http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

Rap artists will tell you that they were told to write gangsta or get out. Was it all about the ticket sales?
I seriously hope that is a joke.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

gentle_dissident

The racist guy seems serious.

I've heard rappers talk about the gangsta life being pushed by producers. I was just wondering if the anonymous private prison letter was true as well.

I've heard on NPR that the police don't keep good records. A guy from the NRA stated on NPR today that he never meant to end research into gun ownership. He just wanted to put a stop to any research that might show the need for gun control. LOL

Steeler

I didn't intentionally attempt to bait you in Davin, but I knew you couldn't resist.
My first "claim", you yourself cited as well. So good enough?
The second I actually heard Rudy Giuliani speak about couple days ago. Not good enough for you? Don't really care.

Before I replied to this post I said to myself, self, this is the topic that will lead to my banning. Lol. I've avoided these topics because of the nitpicking as was discussed in the future of the forum thread but just couldn't help myself. He he.

Davin

Quote from: Steeler on July 11, 2016, 08:17:54 PM
I didn't intentionally attempt to bait you in Davin, but I knew you couldn't resist.
Yeah, you know me and my dislike for perpetuated bullshit.
Quote from: SteelerMy first "claim", you yourself cited as well. So good enough?
Yes, I accept that cede to my point.
Quote from: SteelerThe second I actually heard Rudy Giuliani speak about couple days ago. Not good enough for you? Don't really care.
You don't really care that you're wrong? Alright, no worries, no reason to talk to irrational people who are intentionally being irrational.

Quote from: SteelerBefore I replied to this post I said to myself, self, this is the topic that will lead to my banning. Lol. I've avoided these topics because of the nitpicking as was discussed in the future of the forum thread but just couldn't help myself. He he.
Only when you don't follow the forum rules by preaching like you're doing.

Steeler

Yup. Preaching. Me thinks anything is preaching in your mind. Even an opinion.
What's wrong with good ole differing opinions? I know, I know. Forum rules and all, down to the letter.