News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Be followers, and remain childlike.

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 09, 2016, 07:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I post on a Catholic forum every now and then mostly because I think it's interesting to get to know other points of views, especially because such views are still prevalent in some parts of the world. After some time posting there, I've come to the conclusion that that forum basically is a cesspool which diverging religious views are actively  discouraged. There is only one truth, and catholicism has it. 

Now, the fact that different people of different branches of Christianity can diverge in their views in no secret, however there are some things which most believers it seems, have in common.

They seek authority.

Besides those who claim to be "spiritual but not religious", they actively seek and submit to authority figures. On said Catholic forum, people seek guidance on everything from how to pray to the stupidly mundane such as how to not lose their keys (from a religious perspective). 

They aren't encouraged to outgrow childlike states.

When I was in kindergarten, I thought, like all of my peers, that the world was made for us and everything had a purpose for its existence, even though I didn't actually believe in a deity. Why were there flowers? To make the world beautiful. Why did certain animals exist? To be food for others. And so on. Eventually I and some outgrew this childlike and egocentric perception whereas most did not. Some retain this outlook well into adulthood and others never outgrow it. We all know them.

Calling people sheep may be pejorative, but in the case of the religous, it is true. Especially in the case of hardcore catholics. Fueled by the need to feel saved, they look up to few authoritive figures who will tell them how to achieve that. The protestant branches are no different although they don't have an unifying authority figure who randomly ejects some piece of philosophical masturbation every now and then for his followers. I'd imagine mass is a real orgy...

God is a father figure.

To extend on the previous observation, god is a flawed (not in their view - god is perfect) though infinitely wise father figure. The religious are perpetually encouraged to remain childlike and submit to this concept by their shepards leaders.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

That's certainly the impression I get from outside.  They'd soon go back to burning people if they could get away with it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 09, 2016, 07:06:50 AM

They seek authority.

Besides those who claim to be "spiritual but not religious", they actively seek and submit to authority figures.

That was one of main points that made me dubious as to the existence of their god.  My amateurish judgment of the believer's psychology, they really want to be told an answer, to submit.  So their conclusions should be doubted.

You are of a rebellious nature, and so reject the true authority.

You've got a point god but I have other reasons, I see you've currently manifested as Taweret, Egyptian Hippopotamus goddess, "Lady of Heaven," "Mistress of the Horizon," "She Who Removes Water," "Mistress of Pure Water," and "Lady of the Birth House." Excellent choice.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 09, 2016, 10:08:53 AM
..."She Who Removes Water," ...

Now I know I've been praying to the wrong god/goddess when my clothes needs drying!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey