News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Response to that Stanford rape horror show

Started by Sandra Craft, June 09, 2016, 12:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I'm not going to get into the details of the rape case (unless someone truly is unaware of it) since it's been all over the media for the last few days, but I did think this post, from one of my favorite Xtian bloggers, was worth noting:  To Brock Turner's Father, from another Father.

QuoteAnd to be clear, Mr. Turner, "alcohol and sexual promiscuity" are not the story here. The story here, is that young men have choices to make and these choices define them, even if those choices are made when temptation is great and opportunity is abundant. In fact, our humanity is most expressed when faced with such things, we choose integrity and decency; when we abstain from doing what is easy but wrong.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Firebird

"Affluenza" again? And there's no way a black kid would have gotten only six months for rape. Not that he didn't deserve more than that (clearly he did), but the disparity between how blacks and whites are treated in this country's justice system blows my mind.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Icarus

Thumbs up for the man who wrote that letter.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on June 09, 2016, 05:26:52 AM
It was from the victims father to the rapists father.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

QuoteThis is why white privilege is real and insidious and usually those with it are oblivious to it.

Was she not white?

I have two daughters a wife zero sons and am perfectly happy with my family configuration.
If any of them were offended against I'd want him impaled Vlad style with his balls around his neck, not too much lube, you don't want rush it.
But of course that's just white male me being outraged by a hypothetical transgression of my property.

I think society would benefit if more more melatonined people got conspicuously wealthy so we could get back to class/wealth as the basis of rivalry.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2016, 12:44:54 PM

Where did you get that information? I thought that the victim's identity was not public knowledge.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on June 09, 2016, 05:17:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2016, 12:44:54 PM

Where did you get that information? I thought that the victim's identity was not public knowledge.

I saw a news report on fb it quoted that passage from the letter and the announcer said it was the father. 
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Ah, OK. I just looked around, and in this story about the letter, Pavlovitz is described as "a pastor and blogger in Wake Forest, N.C.," but no mention is made of any relationship with the victim. Also this story seems to indicate that he has no direct relationship with the victim.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on June 09, 2016, 06:30:57 PM
Ah, OK. I just looked around, and in this story about the letter, Pavlovitz is described as "a pastor and blogger in Wake Forest, N.C.," but no mention is made of any relationship with the victim. Also this story seems to indicate that he has no direct relationship with the victim.
It looks like it probably wasn't then.

Davin

That is a very sad story and I am appalled that the guy got only six months.

I heard about the letter that the father of the rapist wrote, and I couldn't believe that anyone would try to use "20 minutes of action" as a justification to be lenient. Then I read the letter and was more disgusted. It's like the father intentionally ignored the suffering that his son caused another person and tried to distill it down to just drunkenness and promiscuity.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2016, 06:49:16 PM
Quote from: Recusant on June 09, 2016, 06:30:57 PM
It looks like it probably wasn't then.

John Pavlovitz isn't related to the victim, he was just writing about it in his blog, responding to the letter the rapist's father sent to the judge requesting leniency.  I've shared some of Pavlovitz's posts here before, he's one of my favorite Xtian bloggers.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Where was the father of the victim in this scenario. Fathers are protective of their male offspring, but fiercely, even homicidally, protective of their daughters. And "that is the way it was" in times past. (Apologies to Walter Cronkite for using his sign off phrase).

My daughter was almost raped a long time ago. The antagonist did not anticipate that her 85 pound dog would, and did, rip him up for putting his hands on my daughter, Terri.  The fool was angry, pained, and bloody.  He returned in a matter of minutes with a firearm. He shot the dog, Peaches.  Terri rushed Peaches to the vet. The vet notified the sheriff.  The sheriff had the miserable creep in irons within hours. That saved me from a life sentence in prison because I had an absolute 100% intent to kill the bastard and furthermore I had the prior training and ability to do it with the garrotte that I made for the purpose. 

I am a really nice guy who demonstratably cares for others. That is so, except for one thing; dare to harm my daughter and you are a dead man. 

Magdalena

...Also, should Judge Aaron Persky be removed from the bench for decision in Brock Turner rape case?
Some people think so:

QuoteRemove Judge Aaron Persky
We the people would like to petition that Judge Aaron Persky be impeached from his Judicial position for the lenient sentence he allowed in the Brock Turner rape case. Despite a unanimous guilty verdict, three felony convictions, the objections of 250 Stanford students, Jeff Rosen the district attorney for Santa Clara, as well as the deputy district attorney who likened Turner to " a predator searching for prey" Judge Persky allowed the lenient sentence suggested by the probation department. Turner has shown no remorse and plans to attempt to overturn his conviction....

Petitioning California State House and 43 others
Remove Judge Aaron Persky from the Bench For Decision in Brock Turner rape case.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Personally, I think we should take all the rapists, child molesters, and murders incarcerated now and give the a one way trip to the desert. Where a massive hole has been dug.  Throw them all in and bulldoze the hole over, while they are still breathing.

Secondly,  anyone in the future who disregards human decency and breaks these laws,  once convicted gets to spin the wheel of death.  Whatever their punishment is,  will be carried out within 60 minutes.  No last meal.  No getting to say goodbye to your loved ones. Just spin the wheel and await your doom.

Punishments shall include, but not be limited to;

Being used as a crash test dummy,  without a seat belt. Stick you in the front seat and drive the car as fast as it goes into an immovable object.

Being used as lab rats.

Having a white hot poker inserted into your poop shoot,  searing it shut.  Then being fed nothing but soluble fiber.

Last,  but not least,  my favorite. This will take longer than an hour.
We take you,  break both your legs,  and your good arm. Put you on a boat, travel  out into the middle of the ocean, miles,  and miles away from any inhabited lands, toss your sorry ass overboard.  If you can make it to shore,  you are free.

If go out of your way to intentionally harm another human being, you forfeit your right as one.  Simple as that.  I have zero pity for these parasites.

Tank

Quote from: No one on June 10, 2016, 05:47:21 AM
Personally, I think we should take all the rapists, child molesters, and murders incarcerated now and give the a one way trip to the desert. Where a massive hole has been dug.  Throw them all in and bulldoze the hole over, while they are still breathing.

Good idea. But only if you are prepared to join them as you too will be a bona fide murderer. How many innocent people would you kill? Just one of them and you'd be no better than the worst of them.

I admire your total faith in the US judicial system.