News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"Open My Eyes"

Started by Sandra Craft, June 06, 2016, 02:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Picked up this interesting short film (only 13 minutes) in The Friendly Atheist blog: Open My Eyes.

It's supposed to depict a father looking to religion for comfort after the death of his teenage son, and finding none.  Frankly I don't see that.   I left this comment at the site:  "I don't think I would have gotten the loss of faith theme without reading the set up -- I'm not sure I get it now. To me it just seems like the sort of emotional struggle to adjust that'd be expected from anyone, religious or not, so soon after a child's suicide.

Religion doesn't shield people from the immediate pain and grief of loss, belief in a wonderful afterlife doesn't stop the religious from being heartbroken in the here and now when someone they love isn't around anymore. And every religious person I know is aware of this."

Interested in reading other points of view from HAFers.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

It wasn't clear to me, either.

Essie Mae

Thought it was just me. I FFwded a lot of it.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Recusant

The blogger asks: "What do you think the father should do from here?"

Get his damn truck fixed.

I suppose the truck repeatedly failing to start symbolizes his inability to find solace in those bleak little churches he visits.  :notsure:  Bleh

I actually enjoyed the film, because I appreciate the low key beauty of California's central valley. I never lived in that part of California, but I drove through it a lot over the years. I was willing to overlook the poor fellow mourning the death of his son.

Ooops, maybe I should have used spoiler tags.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

OldGit

When the truck first refused to start, he went underneath the middle of the floor with a small adjustable spanner.  What the hell was he trying to achieve there?  I think maybe that's a parallell with trying to get help by talking to god - i.e. it's no use at all.

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on June 07, 2016, 03:43:41 AM
The blogger asks: "What do you think the father should do from here?"

Get his damn truck fixed.
Yep. Life goes on. Then again, some times it doesn't. All you can do is... Fix your damned truck.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Claireliontamer

I don't think it's a particularly powerful film but I did get the message that the guy feels very alone.  He lost his son and it appears his religion at the same time and you can sense that feeling of heartbreak throughout. 

I've never been religious so can't fully empathise with the losing religion side but as a parent I can understand the heartbreak losing a child must bring.  Going through that must be the worst type of emotional pain there is and if you are normally religious it is probably a huge test of your faith.  Trying to understand why a god that you worship has put you through that pain must test anyone's faith even the most devout of people.

Asmodean

Are you not supposed not to blame the divine for the crap that happens in your life, in stead just thanking it/him/them for the good stuff? I lack the personal perspective to psychoanalyze it properly, but why would that change with the death of a child?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Asmodean on June 07, 2016, 12:04:21 PM
Are you not supposed not to blame the divine for the crap that happens in your life, in stead just thanking it/him/them for the good stuff? I lack the personal perspective to psychoanalyze it properly, but why would that change with the death of a child?

It's a test of faith and he failed.
It's how god winnows the grain from the chaff.
Surely you do something similar with your minions?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 07, 2016, 12:55:27 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 07, 2016, 12:04:21 PM

It's a test of faith and he failed.
It's how god winnows the grain from the chaff.
Surely you do something similar with your minions?
Why, sure. If they fail to fear The Asmo properly, He sacrifices them in His honor. He doesn't administer tests though, because unlike the stupid FAKE god of Abraham, He is, in fact, omniscient when it comes to His own minions.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Cats like playing pong with mice.
They let them think they might escape.
Looks like they might they give a whack.
Some Gods like playing with humans
They set them all manner of tests,
give a whack if they're doing too well.
You do things a little bit differently.
I think you're being overly judgemental.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Oh, The Asmo doesn't care what that FAKE god wanks off to. It's the FAKE part that is an affront to His Omnimalevolently-Divine Grayness.  >:(
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: OldGit on June 07, 2016, 09:42:50 AM
When the truck first refused to start, he went underneath the middle of the floor with a small adjustable spanner.  What the hell was he trying to achieve there?  I think maybe that's a parallell with trying to get help by talking to god - i.e. it's no use at all.

I like that. Either the film maker has your wily sense of symbolism, or he's just clueless about vehicle mechanics.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on June 07, 2016, 05:25:26 PM
Quote from: OldGit on June 07, 2016, 09:42:50 AM

I like that. Either the film maker has your wily sense of symbolism, or he's just clueless about vehicle mechanics.  ;)

This is where I have problem, I don't think very symbolically at all.  All I saw was a man struggling to understand why his teenager would commit suicide -- reading his diary and bible for clues -- but predictably not being able to get inside someone else's head.  And then the struggle to get used to life without the boy, which would make the world seem very silent and empty.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany