News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Allow Me To Reintroduce Myself

Started by Arturo, April 21, 2016, 03:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

I am Apathy. I am diagnosed as Schizoaffective. I waited until you got to know me a bit until I decided to put this out there. As Neil deGrasse Tyson and I have in common that we like to avoid labels because it puts out preconceived ideas first. But as we don't have in common, I like to put the label out there sometimes because it makes me feel cool.

Interested in something Schizoaffective related? Ask me here, I will be happy to fill your curiosities.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

:wave hi:

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with labels, except when they oversimplify complex and sometimes debilitating conditions. There is generally a lot of stigma and general ignorance attached to labels such as "schizoaffective", "schizophrenic", "manic depressive", "autistic" among others that might make many prefer not to disclose that sort of information.

On the other hand, I think it is a cool thing when one self-advocates by embracing a label.  :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Firebird

What is schizoaffective, and how does it differ, if at all, from schizophrenia?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Arturo

Quote from: Firebird on April 21, 2016, 03:38:28 AM
What is schizoaffective, and how does it differ, if at all, from schizophrenia?

Schizoaffective is essentially Schizophrenia+ a Mood disorder like bipolar or depression.

DSM-5 Critereon A for Schizoaffective Disorder
"An uninterrupted period of illness during which there is a major mood episode (major depressive or manic) concurrent with Criterion A of schizophrenia."

Critereon A for Schizophrenia
"A. Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a

1 -month period (or less if successfully treated). At least one of these must be (1 ), (2), or (3):

1. Delusions.

2. Hallucinations.

3. Disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence).

4. Grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior.

5. Negative symptoms (i.e., diminished emotional expression or avolition)."

The DSM-5 is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5th Edition. The go-to manual for diagnosing a person to have a mental disability.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwD-YtZFWfxMbWs2UC1WdWJzZTQ/edit?pli=1

And I seen a Khan Academy video on schizoaffective disorder which says that the prognosis is usually better than schizophrenia, although people with this illness can recover at any level of success between schizophrenia (which is horribly low) and the mood disorder (which is variably high). So they are pretty similar, schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. But differ mainly on moods.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 21, 2016, 03:33:23 AM
:wave hi:

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with labels, except when they oversimplify complex and sometimes debilitating conditions. There is generally a lot of stigma and general ignorance attached to labels such as "schizoaffective", "schizophrenic", "manic depressive", "autistic" among others that might make many prefer not to disclose that sort of information.

On the other hand, I think it is a cool thing when one self-advocates by embracing a label.  :smilenod:

I've lived in the city and I've noticed that there, labels can get you into trouble mainly because they can be thrown around as a weapon. So there is a lot of effort to not be objectified by being put under a label. But I've noticed that in the suburbs that they are completely the opposite. Labels are embraced and used as tools to flaunt oneself. A tactic I feel makes people weird. But thank you for the encouragment.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Hello, Apathy, welcome, again.  :computerwave:
First, I would like to say thank you for trusting us, and sharing something very personal.

Questions, but not about being Schizoaffective.
Why is it important to you that we know this? If you wouldn't have said anything, I never would've thought you were Schizoaffective, I have never even heard that word before. I liked you before knowing this, I still like you, nothing has changed.
Do you think something will change, now? Do people change around you once you tell them?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on April 21, 2016, 06:31:43 AM
Hello, Apathy, welcome, again.  :computerwave:
First, I would like to say thank you for trusting us, and sharing something very personal.

Questions, but not about being Schizoaffective.
Why is it important to you that we know this? If you wouldn't have said anything, I never would've thought you were Schizoaffective, I have never even heard that word before. I liked you before knowing this, I still like you, nothing has changed.
Do you think something will change, now? Do people change around you once you tell them?

I just like to be honest.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

^^^
OK. That's good to know.
I'm sure there's a lot of people here who would like to know the scientific term that was given to whatever it is that makes me do the things I do, and say the things I say, but I think I'll leave them guessing.  :grin:
No,  >:(  Bruno! Don't say anything! You too, Crow>:(
;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on April 21, 2016, 07:20:33 AM
^^^
OK. That's good to know.
I'm sure there's a lot of people here who would like to know the scientific term that was given to whatever it is that makes me do the things I do, and say the things I say, but I think I'll leave them guessing.  :grin:
;D

I already have a pretty good idea.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Apathy on April 21, 2016, 07:32:11 AM
^^^
OK. That's good to know.
;D

I already have a pretty good idea.
Please don't tell me if you suspect something...I don't want to know, yet.  :(
I know I'm weird, and I like it.  :grin:

Davin

That scientific term is "awesome."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Are you a man of wealth and taste?
Assuming not, you didn't say please.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 21, 2016, 02:53:07 PM
That scientific term is "awesome."
You're awesome.  :tellmemore:

Arturo

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 21, 2016, 03:01:46 PM
Are you a man of wealth and taste?
Assuming not, you didn't say please.

I am a man of taste, not wealth.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Quote from: Apathy on April 21, 2016, 03:16:50 AM
I am Apathy. I am diagnosed as Schizoaffective. I waited until you got to know me a bit until I decided to put this out there. As Neil deGrasse Tyson and I have in common that we like to avoid labels because it puts out preconceived ideas first. But as we don't have in common, I like to put the label out there sometimes because it makes me feel cool.

Interested in something Schizoaffective related? Ask me here, I will be happy to fill your curiosities.

Hello and welcome, Apathy. In keeping with your username, I don't care what labels have been applied to you, nor what labels you choose to use for yourself for whatever reason. Your contributions to this site are what matter, and they've been good so far. Carry on.  :thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken