News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Comment I Just Made on IMDB

Started by Nam, April 05, 2016, 08:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nam

I haven't said this much in awhile. Thought I'd share: (I am "Nammage -- Nam was taken)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4824308/board/reply/255709199

It's down the bottom. Long topic.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Tank

One has to be registered to read comments.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Nam

Quote from: Tank on April 06, 2016, 06:55:43 AM
One has to be registered to read comments.

QuotePosted 13h ago by rami-gilneas

Re: These movies are offensive....and this is coming from a Christrian.
"I know plenty of Christians who agree with these movies. The first one: I have an Uncle who believes everything about it in concern to atheists. I asked if he ever knowingly met an atheist and if they actually are like the "atheists" portrayed in the film? He said no. What he doesn't know is he has two nephews and one niece who are atheists. Including me. Most Christians have never knowingly ever met an atheist. What they know of atheists is what their church tells them, which is usually negative."

In germany it is the opposite, I probably only met about 20 people in my entire life that would openly admit to be "real" believer.
Most of them were Jehovas Witnesses and some were Baptists. ;)

Well, I heard about 66% of all germans are Christians, but the vast majority of them are just cultural Christians who never even think or talk about God and Jesus or heaven and hell and never go to church.

nammage replied 12h ago

Depending on where you live in the US, it is basically the same here. It's just in the poorer States (which mainly happen to be controlled by Conservative protestant Christians) they tend to be highly religious. Sad thing is the poor keep electing the very rich and/or somewhat educated to office and those people tend to want to keep those voters poor and uneducated. Why? Because the US is a Capitalist country and rich people, or people who want to be rich, make their money off the poor and uneducated.

There are Republicans here who want to privatize everything and get rid of anything publically funded. That puts burdens on the poor and middle class to be able to afford to do anything, and since many prisons in the US are privately owned, those poor to middle class people who can't afford to go to school, end up uneducated and committing crimes and sent to these privately owned prisons.

And then there are the minority protestant Conservative Christians here who actually believe this country should be a theocracy. Which one? I don't know but Southern Baptists outnumber all other protestant Christian sects, and in many of their churches (I used to be a Southern Baptist) they teach that Catholics are bound for hell, and they are the only True™ Christians. Mormons aren't Christian, Jehovah Witnesses aren't and any other of the 10's of thousands of Christian sects. They'd do what Trump wants to do in banning Muslims from entering the US, and anyone else not like them.

This country has already gone through such a thing. A one point individual churches controlled each individual state. In the Northeast it was mainly Anglicans. In places like Utah, Mormons (who actually still do control that state. The last time they had a non-Mormon as Governor was back in 1949-1957) I am sure, wouldn't agree to that. Probably be another "Mormon" war. Catholics make up 25% of the country. I mean, what type of Christian theocracy would it be? None of them get along as it is; and protestants, for the most part in the South and parts of the midwestmidwest, only pretend to.

The US is the 3rd largest country in the world (by area and population); can one imagine if we had no or little to no federal gov't? It'd be hell. But there are people here who want to turn this country into a cesspool of nothing. And to those in charge it's solely about the money. To those who vote those idiots in to office it's basically just one issue voting. And sadly those one issue voters on the right are voting religion, and nothing else.

There is only one truly successful religious state in the world and that is Vatican City. They get their vast wealth from Catholics all over the world, and with less than 500 people living there most crime (the vast majority) are done by foreigners.

If you look at rankings of countries with less religion to more religion, you'll find the less of religion is a place that offers better living for the vast majority. Those with more tend to have worse living conditions. Unless you're a tiny country like the Vatican who gets its wealth from the people in their religion, etc.,

-Nam

Better?

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Recusant

The link in the OP is to a "post reply" page. There is no requirement to be registered at the site to read the thread: "These movies are offensive....and this is coming from a Christrian."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Much better. Thanks to both of you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.