News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

The Afterlife Salad Bar - Step Up and Choose

Started by MadBomr101, March 23, 2016, 10:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: MadBomr101 on March 24, 2016, 02:37:48 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 24, 2016, 02:22:24 AMMadBomr101, Valhalla is not on the menu. Why isn't Valhalla on the menu?

My afterlife purchasing manager must have overlooked it when placing the order.  I apologize for the oversight and would like to offer you an eternal life of equal or lesser value as compensation.

I would like that, thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: MadBomr101 on March 23, 2016, 10:30:06 PMEternal life is one of the most compelling aspects of their sales pitch.
I find the concept of eternal life to be unappealing, so I choose none of them.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Crow

Quote from: Davin on March 24, 2016, 01:30:26 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on March 23, 2016, 10:30:06 PMEternal life is one of the most compelling aspects of their sales pitch.

I agree with Davin. They just aren't really all that appealing. In fact they sound downright awful.

At least I like the Buddhist analogy of death being like a ray of light that never lands. But the whole rebirth thing isn't exactly straight forward as there are many that believe that the rebirth of conciousness isn't from life to life but the birth and death of conciousness within a persons lifetime, from the observation that conciousness isn't a continual but rather little bursts of conciousness that come and go.
Retired member.

Ecurb Noselrub

If you could choose to live in good health as long as you wanted to, how long do you think that would be?

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 24, 2016, 07:11:02 PM

If you could choose to live in good health as long as you wanted to, how long do you think that would be?
Until the boredom becomes overwhelming. I think I'd like to live for a thousand years, as long as I could manage not getting too bored. Right now I am often bored, but it's never been overwhelming. There are plenty of things to do and think about, but even the process of going into a new thing ends up getting boring. Right now I am attempting to stave off boredom by mixing it up between new things, mastering current things, and trying to find new ways to use the things I already know. If I live for too long, eventually the moments of boredom will continue increase until there is nothing but.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 24, 2016, 01:35:39 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2016, 11:32:16 PM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on March 23, 2016, 11:19:57 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2016, 11:07:00 PM
I'm looking for the meat. Where's the beef?  :let'seat:

Hey!  What you see is what we got!  :spaghetti:

Hmm.  :notsure:

Well, I want beef too much to go for Hinduism. What about alcohol? Do you have any wine on offer?

I believe what you're looking for is Valhalla.

Yes, Valhalla looks like fun. :smilenod:

Can my valkyries all look like Chris Hemsworth clones?  :tellmemore:

Preferably not dressed as Thor...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 24, 2016, 09:13:26 PM

Can my valkyries all look like Chris Hemsworth clones?  :tellmemore:

Of course, it's Valhalla!

For my own part, I've thought it would be interesting to be disembodied consciousness -- not affected by any physical laws, able to zip here and there at will to any time and place in the universe.  Maybe haunt a few people as well, but I'd also be happy just observing.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

There are indeed plenty of jolly times and feasting in Valhalla. Just remember that under "jolly times" is a daily round of fighting and killing. If you get killed there, you'll wake up the next morning, ready for more jolly times and feasting.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 24, 2016, 10:23:46 PM
There are indeed plenty of jolly times and feasting in Valhalla. Just remember that under "jolly times" is a daily round of fighting and killing. If you get killed there, you'll wake up the next morning, ready for more jolly times and feasting.

Killjoy.  :P

Sandra Craft

Well, yes, but to be fair to the Vikings, that was part of their idea of fun.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 24, 2016, 10:44:43 PM

Well, yes, but to be fair to the Vikings, that was part of their idea of fun.

And no one is really getting hurt so it would be like playing a very visceral computer game.
Retired member.

MadBomr101

Quote from: Davin on March 24, 2016, 08:14:24 PMUntil the boredom becomes overwhelming. I think I'd like to live for a thousand years, as long as I could manage not getting too bored. Right now I am often bored, but it's never been overwhelming. There are plenty of things to do and think about, but even the process of going into a new thing ends up getting boring. Right now I am attempting to stave off boredom by mixing it up between new things, mastering current things, and trying to find new ways to use the things I already know. If I live for too long, eventually the moments of boredom will continue increase until there is nothing but.

This.

Let's don't forget that the only thing promised by the Xian afterlife - the worst one of them all - is to spend eternity worshiping god.  That's all.  Just worshiping a deity so insecure and needy for constant attention that he makes Miley Cyrus look humble by comparison.  Xians are so eager for this completely pointless eternity that they spend their REAL lives metaphorically licking the nutsack of a deity that can't think of anything more to offer with eternity than endless praise unto himself. What a douche.

I'd be as out of place in Heaven as a Tea-Party Republican at a coke fueled orgy; a concept for an afterlife I could get into...at least for thirty or thirty-five years.

Beyond that, even that would become mindnumbing. 
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

xSilverPhinx

Eternal life just seems unfathomably boring, and yes, I agree that the Christian variety (and Islamic, to be fair) are the worst of the lot. It's like being made to eat broccoli for an infinity, you may like it at first but eventually you just can't take it anymore.  ::)

Unless there's some mechanism in place to wipe all your memories as each "day" passes, that way forever wouldn't feel like an eternity, but you'd be locked in a never ending one-day cycle in which you'll be worshiping an Egomaniac, fighting and killing, or time spent coming back as a lettuce or whatever.

I think I'd still go with the Valhalla salad, but without the associated topping of PTSD. No pathological memories, please. 

MadBomr101

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 24, 2016, 09:13:26 PM

Preferably not dressed as Thor...

PFFT!  Take away his looks, charm, wealth and fame and what have you got?

Me.   >:(
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.