Author Topic: Political Turmoil in Brazil  (Read 3101 times)

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
Re: Political Turmoil in Brazil
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 03:37:01 AM »
A creatard bishop of the much hated Universal Church (even among the religious) is most likely to be the the new minister of science and technology in Brazil.  :picard facepalm:

Bad move!

Just goes to show that science and innovation are not valued here, and I think that unless the government of the country with one of the richest natural resources in the world also starts to see its people as valuable resources, we're only going down, down, down...
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Firebird

• Taste's like chicken
  • Touched by His Noodly Appendage
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 06:31:22 AM »
Being completely ignorant of the Universal Church, I looked it up. Yikes. From Wikipedia:

The UCKG considers that the first ten percent of all income, before doing anything with the money, "belongs to God" as a tithe, quoting the Bible as authority.[38][39] The first tithe should include 10% of everything owned at the time.
The Church is very clear that "You must tithe everything that comes to your hands ... wages [gross, not after deductions], overtime pay, bonuses, unemployment benefit, child support, business profits/profit from business, pensions, allowances, interest earned on an account, inheritance, prizes, commission, sales, gifts, etc."

The list of controversies is pretty awful.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »
Yikes is right. It's just as bad as scientology in my book.

Besides the fact that this guy is a leading member of that institution, he is scientifically illiterate. Politics makes no logical sense at times. What's in it for the vice president who wants to appoint him, I don't know. It can't be good.

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »
Unbelievable, and I'm sure he has his staunch supporters.
Every taco is hand rolled with exotic Mexican spices by genuine Mayan Virgins.
Or. Carlos, depending on who's available.

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
  • Angry hippies need to smoke cheap weed.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 07:50:22 PM »
Yikes is right. It's just as bad as scientology in my book.

Besides the fact that this guy is a leading member of that institution, he is scientifically illiterate. Politics makes no logical sense at times. What's in it for the vice president who wants to appoint him, I don't know. It can't be good.
:therethere: :console:

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

"Color me fascinated..." ~Asmodean, The Gray God.

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 02:14:03 PM »
The Brazilian legislature has "suspended" the president. The vice president, who has taken her place, sounds like somebody who will play the game along with the good ol' boys of the legislature.

"After President Suspended From Office, Brazilian Vice President Steps In" | Crooks and Liars

Brazil’s interim President Michel Temer takes the reins of Latin America’s biggest economy Thursday after the Brazilian Senate voted to suspend President Dilma Rousseff while a trial examines whether she violated government budgetary rules.

After hours of debate that stretched into the morning hours Thursday, Brazil’s Senate voted 55 to 22 to suspend Rousseff for up to six months. Temer, 75, is a familiar face in Brazilian politics described as a business-friendly politician. He will now act as Brazil’s president for up to six months and if the Senate finds Rousseff guilty, he will serve out the rest of her term until the next presidential election in 2018.

A constitutional lawyer by training, Temer has a reputation as a being a backroom political player. He entered politics in the 1980s and became the leader of the Brazilian Democratic Movement (PMDB). He served as the speaker of Brazil’s lower house three times before becoming Rousseff’s vice president in 2011.

Temer doesn’t come to the presidential position with a completely clean slate. He could be investigated in a large-scale corruption kickback scheme at state oil company Petrobras after his name was mentioned by people involved in the case. Temer has denied any wrongdoing or link to the Petrobras scandal.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
One of the first things the vice president has done is appoint 7 people implicated in major corruption schemes to top level ministry positions.  :picard facepalm:

Next, they will legislate to protect themselves and their interests.

Well done to the mass of people who thought that removing Dilma and putting that snake in her place will make things better. 

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
XSP it may be little consolation but the Brazilian politicians have no exclusive claim to bad behavior. Example:The New York State legislature has a speaker of the house, sort of a head honcho. He has been a politician for 20 years. He is scheduled to go to prison any day now as he has been convicted of .....all kinds of illegal shit.  The previous three, count them, three heads of the NY legislature has been committed to prison for offenses that were substantially more serious than farting under the blanket.

The most recent guy will join nine other prisoners who were sentenced while they were in New York Political office. There are also ten other politicians from the past who take room and board in the N.Y. state penitentiary. Altogether that makes enough bodies to have two softball or baseball teams. And a good time would be  had by all.

Not to say that New York has the most egregious of conniving extortionist pols. We have 50 states, New York Is not the only one of them that have foxes guarding the hen house.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 05:13:32 AM »
That may be so, but it seems to me that the US legal system works way better than the Brazilian one. Corrupt politicians going to prison is definitely not something that happens frequently, the most that usually happens is that they are removed from office for a while...sometimes they're made to give the money back.   

I think most politicians (worldwide) are scum. The game breeds scum and only scum survive.

Firebird

• Taste's like chicken
  • Touched by His Noodly Appendage
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 01:38:43 PM »
Try putting this in Google Translate:

O presidente interino do brasil é o temer

The 't' in 'temer' has to be lowercase for it to work.

:snicker:

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 07:46:09 PM »

Temer: To fear?

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:09 AM »

Yep.

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 06:45:10 AM »

Yep.
Good one.